What kind of wall is this? Need help!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by suprasmith, Sep 9, 2006.

1. suprasmith

suprasmith Auditioning

I am at the very beginning stages of mounting my 32" flat panel on the wall. I was not able to find any wall studs with various different stud finders, so I assumed the my walls were plaster. This also seemed to make sense since this house is 1940's construction.

I figured I would remove the plaster until I reached the lathes to make it easier to install the outlet, all the behind the wall wiring and find the wall studs.

Low and behold, I discovered that the top layer of the wall is actually 1/2" sheetrock with another type of wall underneath the sheet rock.

Any help with identifying the type of wall would be greatly appreciated. It is very brittle, and is 1" thick.

Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

Does it look like plaster on the outside with gypsum board on the inside, nailed to the studs? Now your studfinder might work.

3. homthtr

homthtr Supporting Actor

Yep, as long as your that far into the wal and that is where the tv is going might as well get out the chissle and keep going. Get Down to the Studs and then get your wiring to the Plasma. Then I would replace the Green Gypsum looking board with a good Backer Board maybe 2 - 3/4" pieces of a solid sheet wood, oak, etc.... That way you will not even have to find the studs when it comes time to mount the plasma Since you will then have a good solid backer and not have to worry about where the studs are located at all.....