What's new

what kind of systems do you guys have in your vehicles? (1 Viewer)

jimstark

Auditioning
Sony Xplod head unit, single CD
12 Disk changer
Boston Acoustic (4") up front with door-mounted seperate tweeters
BA 6" 2-way in rear
12" Sony Xplod woofer in the smallest box the computer said it would go in.
Kicker VR amp (250W) driving the BAs
Alpine 300W driving the 12" sub
This is in a 88 full-size Blazer. I find I have to turn it up to fill that massive space, so I'm thinking of a third amp and a third pair of speakers for cleaner sound...the head unit has one pre-amp out open. Might as well use it.
The sub is filling the truck just fine. And the driveway, the street, the neighborhood, the next three streets over...etc. Love that thing. :)
------------------
-stark-
my gear: The Kenefick Home Theater
my movies: http://www.dvdtracker.com/~jimkenefick

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Sony CDX-M750es H.U.
Sony CDX-838es 10 disc changer
CDT classic 6.5 2 way comps
pioneer 4x6 coaxs(rear fill)
infinity BassLink sub-10inch/200watt
sony ???? 25x4 amp driving rears
DEI d400 125x2 amp driving front comps
all installed in my '96 GMC ext. fullsize 4x4. The only things you can see are the H.U. and the sub(and I can still use the back seat) everything else is hidden.

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
Got a Pioneer single disc AM/FM stereo with 45 wpc (model unknown cause I don't feel like walking downstairs to take a look) in a '99 Jeep Wrangler. The top is off most of the year so I can't hear it at highway speed. Simply provides a little company while driving.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
In a 1992 Mazda B2600i X-cab,
Alpine 7863 head unit
Rockford Fosgate 120a2
Rockford Fosgate 360a2
JL audio power wedge sealed enclosure with 3-10's
Memphis Audio front speakers
Clarion (original in truck) rear speakers
The low end in it is pretty awesome. Nice and tight, but my main speakers need to be replaced. They sound a little too bright for my tastes.
The nice thing about it is that it's louder than hell inside, but with the windows up it's not that loud at all outside the truck. This way I don't annoy the hell out of people.
BTW I pulled 128db with my trusty RS spl meter.
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"
[Edited last by Kevin Potts on July 29, 2001 at 02:42 AM]

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Nice to see some older rides with, as we say big tunes! I would agree with the statement above. Much can be saved doing your own work, but when getting into larger and more complicated systems trying this onyour own with little or no experience, well you might have bitten off more than you can chew.
Though the system in my latest restoration will shake, boom and piss people off, It is not generaly played that way. Quailty of sound reproduction is what I enjoy. Certainly, by TODAYS MEANS, bigger is better in car audio, just average might be the word used to discribe my system.
Will just KISS~
Chevy~1969-RS-Z28-yes it is real
Head-Alpine
Parametric-Sony
Tweets-2-front~2rear-AudioV1's
Mids-2-front~2rear-AudioV3's
Mid Bass-2front~2rear-AudioV6's
Rear window deck-2~(Legacey Subs 10" Free air)
Trunk-2~(MA-audio 12"DVC-custom built cabnit, also house Amps and caps, uses entire trunk looks very nice but wish I had done it different.) Nothing but huge ass Amps and subs. Sucks
Amps-Sherwood~ProAM's~~These things are just plain too huge, impressive but was a pain to do a sweet and attractive mount. Eventually counter sunk into sub cabnit.
1~(4-channel XXXT~Running 2-channel at 1/2 ohm 1000 watt) Drives all
Subs
2-(4-channel XXT~Running both 2-channel at 1 ohm driveing all tweets, mids, mid bass).
Caps-Lighting Audio~2-1.5 farad
Alternator- 200-amp
Batteries-Dual
Patch cords-Strike Audio
Wireing-Excaliber
Power distrubution-Sound King
Power blocks, spades, wire distrubution,~Fusion Audio
Very pleased with the sound this machine produces and it didnt break the bank.
On a side note, some of the older guys like me will see this and cringe! Oh lord cutting up that car for a stereo. Everything can be put back to stock when removed. All repo door panels, sail panels, etc, were ordered and used to keep the car from being cut up. I spent a tremendous amont of time laying this out so no damage to the car would result. Some, the young guys could care less but these older muscel cars are getting fewer and fewer. It's my hobbie finding and restoring my favorites.
So this Z is safe, no audio damage to date....
Hope you enjoyed,
Geoff

Chris Eriksen

Stunt Coordinator
Prior to becoming a home owner, I was a car audio fanatic. Now my interests have turned toward home theater. :)
Here is a link to my 100% DIY install, with which I competed in sound quality competitions on a national level for almost 5 years:
My Olds Shrine
My current system is vastly simplified. It consists of a/d/s/ components, a pair of KEF free-air subs, old HiFonics and Earthquake amps, and a home-made interface to tap into the line level signals between the factory deck and factory amp.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
For my car, see below:
Stock Toyota AM/FM/Cassette and separate but stock single CD player. Because it's incorporated into the cars LAN and because it's mated to my touch screen display, no other option is available (except a CD changer).
However, this brings up a question for you guys.
What's the best cassette adapter available? I have just purchased the AVC Soul portable MP3/CD player and need to plug it in to my system. The cheapo $5 adapter I got was a total piece of crap. (It's not the MP3/CD player because it sounds fine on my home theater system.) The sound quality is mediocre and the thing rattles. I know there are better ones because I've heard them in other cars and they were pretty good. I checked out the $15 Radio Shack one and the $25 Koss one, and they look like exact clones of the $5 I have. The $40 Sony and the $35 Panasonic seem significantly better built (and come with car DC adapters). I'm inclined to buy the Panasonic one because it has a little doohicky on it that ensures the head of the unit is in the right spot.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

ryan davis

Stunt Coordinator
I am big into car audio, more into the sq side of it. My system consisted of:
head unit: eclipse 5303r
illusion audio nd-8's in the kicks
illusion audio ch-1 horn below the dash
2 12" illusion audio nd-12's
amp arc audio arc-4150
i have streetwired 1/0ga going to a distrabution block and then 4 ga going to the amp. Streetwire 5.0 interconects, A brax compacitor (1 fared) a rewound 150 amp alternator, and a optima yellow top to finish everything off.
I like the setup, comes about as close to having the feel of a great set of speakers at the house. Nice imaging, and of course when necasary, great bass :)
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks