what kind of systems do you guys have in your vehicles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zane Johnson, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson Agent

I've always kinda wondered this since i've been coming here... im pretty sure probably none of you are "rollerboomers" but i'd imagine you have some nice stuff in your cars... i must admit my car does kinda rollerboom : )
    here's what i got...
    sony cheapo cd player
    Kenwood 400 watt mono sub amp pushing an Audiobahn 10" s1000 subwoofer in a single bandpass "Impact" box..it bumps very hard... around 115dB i bet...
    a Targa 4 channel 200 watt HexFet amplifier 50x4 running two Kenwood 2 way 5.25"s in the back and 2 Alpine Tweeters in the front.. that old Targa is one helluva amp.. it won't clip! i can crank it all the way up on the head unit and with the amp gain all the way up and its still good LOUD clean power... on the other hand my Sub amp does clip but the amount of bass is teeth rattling before it does...im thinking about maybe trying to find an exact match of the Kenwood sub amp and running it also to the sub, because the sub is a dual voice coil... and after that it would be awesome to get another Audiobahn like that and two more Kenwood amps like the one i have an run two of those audiobahns at 800 watts a piece... but that's probably not gonna happen for a while... anyways..post your car stereos if ya want [​IMG]
    ------------------

2. John_P

John_P Agent

The system is about 4 years old so I don't remember all of the model numbers but here goes:
    Head Unit: Alpine 97XX (Non-powered CD Unit)
    Front: Alpine DD Drive Tweets, DD Drive 5" round
    Rear: Alpine DD Drive 6.5" Coax
    Subs: 2 10" JL Audio subs in custom enclosure
    Power: Alpine amp 4 X 100 for speaks, 1 X 150 for subs
    Auto: 1998 Jeep Cherrokee
    It may not be a world beater system but when cranked, it can certainly move some hair !

3. Zane Johnson

Zane Johnson Agent

does that 150 watt amp move those subs to the max? or near?
    man i wish my sub was efficient like that... with 400 watts RMS to it it's still got some space to go... it has 1.5" of rubber surround on it though... the recommended power imput to the sub is 600 watts and a peak of 1000...

4. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Stock Toyota AM/FM cassette stereo in my '96 Tacoma.
    I only listen to talk radio in the car anyway.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

My recently updated car stereo includes:
    Sony 5300X h/u combined with a Sony 10 cd changer in trunk giving me both cds and cassettes.
    Phoenix Gold XS4600 4 channel amp powering 2 rear Boston Acoustic RM9's and 2 Boston 6" fronts.
    Kicker x402 amp powering a Kicker Substation 10" bandpass sub enclosure in trunk.
    And a Pioneer EQ under the h/u to tailor the sound and for subwoofer control.
    JohnG [​IMG]
    ------------------

6. JerryE

JerryE Agent

Here's hoping I don't go the same route in HT that I took in car audio. I've only had my '99 BMW M3 for 2 years and I've already gone through 3 head units, 5 component sets, 5 subwoofers and 4 amplifiers.
    I'm currently running a Kenwood head unit, Rainbow separates, Precision Power amplifiers and an Image Dynamics subwoofer - but have at one time or another had a Nakamichi head unit; component speakers from MB Quart, Focal & Diamond Audio; subwoofers from a/d/s/, Kicker, Alumapro and JL Audio; and amplifiers from Xtant, a/d/s/ & Alpine.
    No wonder my wife had a shit fit when I said I wanted to venture into the world of home audio/theater [​IMG]
    [Edited last by JerryE on July 27, 2001 at 03:08 PM]

7. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Alpine 7941 CD Head Unit
    Alpine 5 Channel Amp (400W or something I don't recall)
    Boston Acoustics 5 1/4" Front
    Boston Acoustics 6 1/2" Rear
    10" Bazooka Tube
    All in a 1988 Nissan Maxima
    Sounds really great!!
    Greg

8. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sony ES CD
    STOCK separates (sound surprisingly good when amplified and properly crossed over). Will eventually get around to putting the MB Quarts in...
    Sony EQX-404 handling the front & rears.
    Infinity Basslink - 200 solid watts in a 14"x14"x9" package that weighs around 10lb, and actually puts out a respectable level of bass.
    Enclosed in my Black 2000 Integra Type R.
    My previous sub was two 10" MTX in a custom sealed enclosure fed by 300w, mono, bridged. Only problem with the old sub is: 1) no usable trunk, 2) too heavy. I considered having a fiberglass enclosure built, but I found the Infinity for only $200, and it is quite impressive.
    My number one concern was that things be simple, and LIGHT, this time around. The sound does not make your eyeballs vibrate like my old system did, but it is acceptable. It can still deliver unhealthy levels of sound.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on July 27, 2001 at 03:26 PM]

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    HAD:
    JVC Kameleon LX-30 (very nice)
    6.5" eclipse spkrs
    15" MTX sub w/200 watt MTX amp
    but brother took it to college last yr, got in a wreck and they didnt replace my spkrs. i sold the MTX for what i bought it for.
    i now have:
    my same Kameleon
    stock everything else
    ----------------------------
    Security System: most people forgot this or skimp, but i found that leaving a Celine Dion CD in the passenger's seat deters thieves better than any multi-hundred $$ system out there!

10. Mike Borbakov

I have a beat up 89 jeep cherokee with
    Alpine CDM 7854 deck
    MTX Thunder 250 amps
    Polk Audio EX series II 5 1/4s front and rear
    Diamond Audio M3 12" sub.
    As you can see, it's mainly a budget set up. BUT i think for what i paid for it it sounds great, better than set ups ive heard for a lot more than what i paid. If i had the money i'd have a nakamichi deck, zapco amps, ADS or Diamond componet set and ADS 312rs sub. but i dont have that kind of money!

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I threw a Pioneer DEH-4000 in my Caddy b/c the original CD player didn't work! Hey, I have Bose car speakers too! wow! [​IMG]
    It took Best Buy 4 hours to install it, and it ended up costing nearly $400 all said and done. By the way, I originally went to CC, but they screwed me over.
    If you wanna talk about a system, talk to my 17 yr old brother! He's got Alpine's most expensive head unit, Pioneer's best 6x8 (the ones with the dome tweeters), and dual 12" woofs powered by a 1000w amp. You can hear him from a mile away. sickening!
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Equipment List

12. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

13. Jack

Jack Agent

Well I have a nice system but dont remember all the tech details.
    98 Ford Contour SE
    Alpine TDA 7554 head unit
    Alpine V12 MCV T501 2 channels think 200x2 >??
    Alpine V12 MCV T505 1 channel 400X1 ??
    2 10" JL Audio Sub woofers in custom Enclosure
    2 ML Quarts 6 1/4 I think in the doors
    Alpine Equalizer ERA G320
    Alpine 10 disk CD changer CHA 1204
    Phoenix Gold junction box thingy [​IMG]
    Phoenix Gold 150A fuse box
    Rockford, Phoenix, and Monster wires/cables
    Mariah Carey cds in the changer [​IMG]
    Pretty jammin system.
    Jack

14. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

I used to run nice stuff in my car but the older I've gotten the less I even turn the systems in my vehicles on. I do try to pick a factory system that sounds pretty good, but that's as far as it goes.
    2001 Infiniti QX4 with factory Bose system. Just got rid of a '98 Grand Cherokee that had a factory Infinity system that sounded MUCH better than the Bose.

15. JohnFR

JohnFR Stunt Coordinator

I've been considering upgrading the stock system in my Olds Intrigue. I am concerned about those guys pulling off my door panels, taking the dash apart, etc....
    Also, I have steering wheel volume/station/track controls, which I love. I haven't seen any aftermarket head units that support those controls.
    Anybody with an Olds, Pontiac, etc., know of a good head unit that supports the built-in steering wheel controls?
    JR

16. Jason Reich

Jason Reich Stunt Coordinator

I have been out of the car audio loop for a bit but heres my set up:
    Eclipse cd player(forget the model)
    mb quart 4 inch and 1 1/2 inch in each front door
    2 mb quart 6 1/2 with tweeters in rear deck
    2 infinity perfect 12 inch
    amps: 2 phoinex gold amps m25 for seperates and m50 subs
    phoinex three way crossover
    auto: 1997 Audi A6Q
    I am pulling the 12's out and am having a custom fiberglass box built for 4 jl 10w4 subs that I had lying around. I am going fo rthe stealth look these days, but I drive 40-60k a year for my job and got to have tunes on the road.

17. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The first thing I did when I got my car was put in a new head unit and speakers. Boomy stock systems with no clarity really annoy me.
    Pioneer DEH-P2000
    Infinity Reference 6x9's
    Infinity Reference 4x8's
    auto: 1990 Nissan Maxima
    The best part was doing it by myself. I had to do some custom fitting like cutting some of the backboard, installing bassblockers (that barely seem to work), and doing some rewiring work in the back to bypass the stock clarion amp that came with it. Didn't even think I would be doing these things when I ordered from Crutchfield but it turned out to be good clean fun! [​IMG]
    In my high school days me and my bro souped up our minivan if you can believe it (1992 Chrysler Town & Country). We had a Sony D-Bass cassette receiver, Infinity References all around, a 12" MTX Blue Thunder, and a Kenwwod 150wx1 amp. We were known as the pimps with the bassy minivan. Ugh!! Don't remind me!

18. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Right now, and I won't go into specific model numbers, just brand names:
    Alpine CD player-also handles all E/Q's
    Orion 12" XTR Extreme subs in bandpass custom box
    Orion 2150 SX Amplifier (rated at 300 watts at 8 ohms. Stable down to 1/2 ohm)
    Orion Extreme Tweeters and Midrange
    Custom built crossovers
    Stinger Cables w/fast-blow fuses
    Dual 120 amp alternators
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

19. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

For my >10 y/o Eagle Talon (all self installed):
    Nak TD-500 Tape-Tuner,
    Sony CDX-M600 CD-Tuner,
    Alphasonic A240 & A225 stereo amps,
    A/D/S 325i front component speakers,
    Sony XS6030 6-1/2" 3-way rear speakers,
    IDQ10 Subwoofer w/ JBL BP300.1 SW amp mounted onto R/T 315-10 SW box.
    None for my other vehicle given it's good enough original Nak premium system with 6 CD-changer and the fact that I don't feel like tearing up the interior, at least not yet. [​IMG]
    PF
    [Edited last by PomingF on July 27, 2001 at 10:00 PM]

20. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

while I tend to HATE the whole car audio fad, here is what I have
    Sony Xplode-CD head unit
    Bluopukt (sp?)-4x75,1X100 amp
    2-KEF b139 subs (perhaps some of the best subs ever produced, especially for car audio)
    4-kicker mids
    2-AR tweeters