What's new

What kind of sub to get? (1 Viewer)

_Jay_

Agent
I have been looking to get a sub for my home theater for quite sometime now and I thought I would come here for some suggestions. I'm currently looking at the B&W ASW1000 however I can't seem to find a price for it (the prices I've seen around the net is about 700). The room I'm going to put this in is 12'x14' and I would like something that can handle this size of a room. Of course I would like something that sounds good but isn't too expensive so I'm looking at the cheaper models as well as the more expensive. Since I'm not too experienced in this department I would like to know what you all have to say about this.
thanks..

_Jay_

Agent
those are pretty cool looking.. and the smaller one SVS "Powered Cylinder" Model 25-31PC looks like it might do the trick.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Jay,
I have a pair of 25-31cs subs powered by the samson s700 SVS recomends and all I can say is "WOW" those subs really knock you on your ass with some tight hard hitting bass!! They are very accurate and give an incredible punch. In the room dimensions you listed, the 25-31pc sounds like a solid choice. YOU WON'T REGRET SVS!! I am a happy customer. Tom and Ron are great. I won't be surprised if either one of them responds to this post. They don't try to push anything on you and give you prompt and honest answers to your questions. Go to their site and have a look around. E-mail them with any questions and they get back to you pretty quick (sometimes within minutes!), usually within 24 hrs. Good luck with whatever sub you get!

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Jay, let me start by saying that I LOVE B&W equiptment, and I am very loyal to them. I get their stuff 20% off (which is good for them), I would say to stay away from the asw1000, unless you are planning on spending $2000 on a b&w sub it is not as good as you could do with other brands. LOOK AT MY REVIEW OF THE SVS, I love it.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
or of course check out Velodyne subs. They have become more affordable over the years and can be found at CC.
------------------

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
In a 12/24/8(?) room...you'll need to decide how close to reference level you want the sub(s) to be capable of. And if it's also used for music playback...you'll need to decide if you want to be able to reproduce pipe organ/telerc CDs back at reasonably loud levels.
As far as powered woofs

rodneyH

Supporting Actor
Tom, you are being far too nice. Sometimes you need to be more honest, even if it means "selling" your product and looking like a sellout salesman. But since you won't, I will.
SVS cs $360
PE amp $125
-----------------
total $485
yes, you have to add shipping, but NO tax!!!!

_Jay_

Agent
and what pre amp are you talking about for $125? the one offered on the SVS web site is a bit more expensive.. and to tell you the truth i haven't had a chance to even look into what it can do. However, $485 is an awefully good price.. i'm hoping after the holiday season i'll be able to purchase a sub.. doing research right now.. and so far the SVS has got my full attention...

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Being associated with a company like SVS has put me into a very nice position..we're getting orders nearly as fast as we can build them..so I don't have to worry about trying to *sell* anything in a thread like this :) And I've been doing so much groundplaning lately(measuring different designs outside...60+ ft from the nearest reflective boundary...a.k.a. quasi-anechoic)...I haven't had nearly the time to enjoy myself on the forums lately.
my time is being WELL spent...i do assure.
The PE amp is a plate amp meant to be installed on a subwoofer cabinet. It offers good power for the money though(250w)...so if you didnt mind putting a small box together to set the amp in it could work fine.
Depending on your output expectations.(if you're sure you'll be staying with a single unit for instance)...the PE amp can make a good choice. If yhou think dual SVs might be in your future...the S700 we offer for $350 might be worth considering though.
TV

_Jay_

Agent
well i just wrote a whole big thing and lost it!! doh! basically what i said is that i can't get two cause i live in an apartment and i've already made the neighbors mad once :) but what i really need to know is what pre amp to get because i don't have any plans to get a cabinet for the pre amp to go in any time in the near future.. i just need one to stack on top of my receiver.. and i'm also assuming that most if not all receivers do not send a powered signal out to the sub hence the reason for most subs to be powered subs...

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
Tom,
I was just going to start a thread asking what you thought the best sub around $800 is and saw this thread.
I am doing an install for a friend and the salesman is pushing the B&W ASW1000 (going with B&W speakers) but I know there is better for the money.
SVS is out due to the guy wanting a box type sub. He is worried about his small children pushing something like the SVS over.
The room is 15 x 23 x 10. I know it's a big room for this price range of sub, but what do you do.
thanks,
[Edited last by Brian Corr on October 10, 2001 at 09:07 AM]

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Brian,
I am more concerned about my neice and nephew pushing over my ceramic 4.0s than the 20-39! It is extremely stable and is bottom heavy. Truth be told, the kids have never really expressed any interest in the sub and do not go near it. If that is his only concern, then he can order a SVS with confidence.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>well i just wrote a whole big thing and lost it!! doh! basically what i said is that i can't get two cause i live in an apartment and i've already made the neighbors mad once but what i really need to know is what pre amp to get because i don't have any plans to get a cabinet for the pre amp to go in any time in the near future.. i just need one to stack on top of my receiver.. and i'm also assuming that most if not all receivers do not send a powered signal out to the sub hence the reason for most subs to be powered subs...Tom,
I was just going to start a thread asking what you thought the best sub around $800 is and saw this thread.
I am doing an install for a friend and the salesman is pushing the B&W ASW1000 (going with B&W speakers) but I know there is better for the money.>
SVS is out due to the guy wanting a box type sub. He is worried about his small children pushing something like the SVS over.The room is 15 x 23 x 10. I know it's a big room for this price range of sub, but what do you do.
thanks,

I am sorry, but I have two sets of DM303 and a LCR3 and I have replaced my jbl pb-12 with a ASW1000 and I am very happy with it also I paid 636.00 plus tax and like said I really like the sub especially when I am watching The Hunting in DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks