what kind of sub should I get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanielSmi, Apr 2, 2002.

1. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I have vsx-49tx and my speakers are klipsch rf-5's, rc-7's, and rs-7's. Should I get a rsw-12 sub to finish of the klipsch brand or should I get a velodyne hgs-10? Or do you have any other suggestions for a sub thereabout $2,000 that's really good, and if you do please tell me why you thinks it's good? Thanks in advance for your help!!

Daniel Smith

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Any size restrictions?
    This review might help you in your search:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...s-12-2001.html
    A good reflex sub has sufficient volume for the driver it uses, sufficient porting and is tuned low. When combined properly you will get tight, clean bass that can extend flat to below 20hz.
    With those requirements my choice in that price range would be a pair of SVS 20-39CS+ subs with the S1000 amp (total is $1499USD). Then also pick up a Beheringer FeedBack Destroyer ($130) to tame any room interaction problems.
    Another not so main stream option would be from Acoustic Visions. A pair of Vented 214L Tempest subs (these will be significantly larger than SVS) would have more output and sound just as good. Do a search in the DIY Advanced section for Adire Allignment Tempest and you will see reports from people who built this sub themselves (Kerry Hackney being the latest).
    A flat kit that you assemble and finish is $540. Assembled with your choice of paint color is $610. If you want to spend the extra money Acoustic Visions will also finish the sub in whatever laminate or veneer you want. With a $2000 budget you could get an extremely nice veneer finish done.
    Acoustic Visions is a rather small outfit. The subs aren't mass produced. Everyone is hand made to order using components the DIY community has proven as top performers. If you don't want to go with one of his provided options Kyle (the owner) will spend as much time with you as it takes to come up with a custom design that suits your budget and goals. You would be amazed at what he could do for you with $2000.
    Kyle is a stand up guy who is a pleasure to deal with and will go out of his way to make the customer happy. I just ordered some drivers and amps from him to build a couple subs for a friend and my parents. When I couldn't find the resistors locally I needed to modify the boost on the amps, he said he would find them and send them to me free of charge.

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I don't want the woofer to be biggger than 12 inches. I don't have any experience making a subwoofer so i wouldn't be able to do a DIY sub.

Daniel Smith

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Just to clarify, cone size does not affect sound quality. A 15 or 18 inch driver can sound just as good as a 10". By size restrictions I was talking about the overall size of the enclosure.

And if you can't build the flat kits that's fine, Acoustic visions will completely assemble and finish a sub for you, it will just cost more than the flat kit.

Acoustic Visions and SVS are both worth a good hard look.