What's new

What kind of spider is this? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I found this little spider outside the garage last night. I HATE spiders! It was too big to stomp on though, so I shooed it away after I took the pictures. :)

Does anyone know what kind it is? It was about the size of the palm of my hand.

/Mike

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Certainly looks like a tarantula. If I recall correctly while big the ones found in the states are harmless.

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
once i found a brown recluse in my backyard, i sprayed it with lysol and stepped on it...=/
Hold a flame in the spray of lysol... instant flamethrower! (Don't try this at home, kids.) Great for taking care of those really large spiders.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Wow, quick replies!

I should have thought of checking the Desert Museum site, it's here in Tucson after all. :)

It certainly seems like it's an Arizona blond tarantula, a male one. Thanks!

Geez, that's a tough life!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they would live longer if they ate pizza and engaged in self-gratification. ;)

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Does anyone have a pic of a brown recluse? I've heard that they're here in Iowa, and I definitely want to know when I see one! Scary! I hope you're ok now!

JamieD

Supporting Actor
Whoa.. ouch.. want to put those as links, with a warning? I nearly lost my lunch. Ick! Hope you're okay..

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Here you go, they grow to about 1/2 an inch. By the way, majority of people just get a small painful red spot when bitten by one. They aren't aggressive at all and like to make their homes in clothes or beds that have been sitting still for long periods of time. If you have an allergic reaction to the venom your wound will erupt like the pictures above and take six to eight months to heal back to normal leaving a scar.

Sorry Jamie, changed them to links.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I think I'm going to be ill.
Not trying to hijack, but what ever ended up happening to your thumb? Hopefully it healed, but that looks pretty serious.
Regards,
Phil

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I thought that I was the only one that noticed the ;) that Dean put at the end of his post.:D

Frederick

Second Unit
OUCH! Hard to believe that something that comes out of something so small can cause so much damage and pain ...

Freddy C.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone have a pic of a brown recluse? I've heard that they're here in Iowa, and I definitely want to know when I see one!
Brown Recluses are easy to spot by the "fiddle" shape on their backs (look closely on Dean's pic). They're also known as "fiddleback" spiders.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
That's a terantula. Once I found one crawling towards my front door. I smacked it with a 2x4 and about 200 baby terantulas that were on her back went EVERYWHERE! I almost puked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks