What's new

What kind of speakers do you use for surround backs? (1 Viewer)

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I just got a Denon 2803 and I was thinking about getting a couple of nice bookshelf speakers for the SBL and SBR. What does everyone here use. At first I was thinking 2 center channel speakers because they are usually not too tall and they are going between my couch and a wall, but now I am leaning toward booshelves.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
JBL LXE330 bookshelves, but that's because they were my old fronts back in college (bought in '96).

They actually work really well w/ the rest of my JBL setup.

And I'm sure that doesn't help you at all!

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
i use smaller bookshelf versions of my front speakers. direct radiating, facing each other, mounted on the side walls slightly behind my seat. sound great!

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I also use smaller direct radiating bookshelfs from the same line as my mains/center/surrounds. I place them behind the listening position about 4 feet apart. This offers a more localized effect than having them side wall mounted and facing inward. In my room it helps the rear sound-stage significantly, especially in left-right and right-left surround panning. I would definitely recommend matching your back surrounds to your side surrounds as much as possible, similar to matching your center to your mains. It's not as crucial, especially w/ the limited amount of ES and EX material out there, but if you're buying new speakers, you might as well match them up

I would be curious to find out how a bipole or pair of bipoles would work as rear surrounds... it seems that they would do well w/ directional and ambient effects, but might cause some comb filtering or destructive interference issues.

I'm currently using Paradigm 5SE MK3 mains, 3SE MK3 side surrounds and center, and Mini MK3 back surrounds. The SE line is the predecessor to the current monitor series and uses the same woofers but different tweeters. Off subject, I actually prefer the SE's Treated Textile Dome tweeter to the Titanium tweeter of the Monitor line. The Monitors can get bright and even harsh at times, but the SEs are very smooth and slightly warm, which matches well w/ my Sony 4ES and offers up a very nice neutral sound.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Side surrounds - dipole.

Rear surrounds - smaller version of my front center channel. And yes, they do fit nicely on shelfs because of their low profile.

Haris Ellahi

Second Unit
Real Name
Haris Ellahi
I have the Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers. I use the Klipsch RS-7 speakers for surrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks