What's new

What kind of separates do you have? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro
Sony TA-P9000ES pre
Parasound HCA-2003A - 3 Channels @ 220 watts
Parasound HCA-2200II - 2 Channels @ 220 watts
Outlaw ICBM - Crossover and BM

DanaA

Screenwriter
Well, Ricky and John, when Ricky listened to your system, did he like your pre-pro/amp???

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Dana,

While we both have NHT speakers (he has 7 NHT Evolution M5s and I have the older music series 3.3 towers, Audiocenter2, 1.5 rears), its really hard to isolate just the prepro and amps when you listen to someone's system for the first time. I liked John's system very much; lots of detail but not bright, great surround wrap and great bass (his two SVS 20-39 pluses can reach 118db!). In fact, that visit pushed me to immediately upgrade my rears to better NHT VR3s and rethink my subwoofers! If he were to replace his Brystons with my Aragon Palladiums, he would get more power, a warmer sound (more class A watts?) and perhaps more liquidity...but its not apples to apples, as the Palladiums retail at 3000 each vs 900 each for the Brystons.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit

Dana, I was gonna tell you that I was impressed as hell with my system after Ricky's visit :) Just Kidding.

I will mention that when Ricky was over we demoed a couple of movies at extemly loud volumes, about -3 or 4 db if you consider a 75 db level calibration ( The haunting, Jurassic Park etc.)...and we did see the Bryston's indicator light flashing orange/red at times during ball busting scenes.
As Ricky stated he started thinking about his sub/rear situation... the Bryston clipping has me doing some thinking of my own...I can hear Scotty right now saying :

"We need more power captain, Im givin her all shes got" :D

PS. The strange thing to me is that the Bryston is only on the m5's and they are crossed over at 80 hz to the b5's (I would have thought I would have never seen those clip lights engage)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Thanks guys. I always enjoy hearing about the impressions when others get together and enjoy each others systems.

terence

Supporting Actor
Pre/Pro:

-Sony STR-DA4ES

Amps:

-Marantz MM-9000 THX Ultra (170W X 5)

-Kenwood KM-991 (150W X 2)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Some people have mentioned the Sony TA-E9000ES. Know what the best/most "balanced" system I ever had was? That Sony pre/pro plus the Acurus amps. Had that setup for 4 years. That's what I'm after again: balance. A pre/pro and amp combination that compliment each other and I don't think either one outclasses the other. Felix- Hint: I don't/can't either/won't pay full price for anything. ;)

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Kevin,

How is your MC8 (RCA only) balanced with the Bryston amps but "unbalanced" with the Proceed amps? Yet, an MC8 (balanced with XLR) would be balanced with Proceed amps? Are you saying the Proceed amps outclassed your RCA only MC8 and the Brystons, but not an MC8 with XLR connections?

Considering:
1) The Bryston and Proceed amps BOTH retail around 900 per channel.

2) The MC8-Balanced (XLR) version is not fully balanced.

3) The difference between RCA and fully balanced connections for runs less than ~ 3M is very minimal.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the retail for the Bryston pair was just under $6k (the last year the ST series was offered). The MC-8 is $6k, the MC-8B is $7k. The retail for the Proceeds was $7500. Not that more expensive means any better, but that is part of it.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Rotel 1066 (Looking to upgrade, who isn't?)
- NIB from a local custom installer $1000
Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3
- Ebay NIB $1100 shipped
Adcom GFA 5006 (Bridged to 175 X 3)
- Used $400

Do people ever walk into a high-end retail location, say "I'll take that" and pay full price for it?

I never could...

John

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I'm poor and still living in the Dark Ages....

I'm running an H/K Signature 2.0 pre paired w/ a Parasound 855a. Actually, I don't have any upgradeitis at all. I'm not interested in anything more than 5.1 decoding at this time, and the HK/Parasound combo suits my listening tastes almost perfectly.

Tim Dogg

Agent
The New Sherwood Newcastle P-965
Marantz MM-9000 Amp
Samson Amp for subs
Klipsch Classic epic cf-3 fronts
Klipsch Classic cv-4 center
Klipsch RS-35 surrounds
2 custon built end table enclosers
with shiva 12" subs

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...

I guess I'll play the game:

Meridian 861v4 PrePro
Edge Amplifiers G4.5 (x2) for amplification

Cheers,

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
John, those aren't separates. That's a 2nd mortgage! :D (J/K)

Anthem AVM-20 v2.13
Marantz MA-700 (x5) plus two spare MA-700s for whenever we go 7.1 (if ever)

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks