what kind of screen for this situation

Discussion in 'Displays' started by AdamP, Aug 4, 2004.

1. AdamP

AdamP Auditioning

I have a perfect place for a screen to use a new projector, but I don't know what kind to get. The problem is that the room has a 10' ceiling. If I hang a pull-down screen the thing will be pretty high for viewing. I can't put up a static screen because there's a fireplace there. WHat do you think I should do? ANyone have or liek the tripod-based screens?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Let's ask this sort of question here in Display Devices, Adam. You'll get a better response, and, anyway, the Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks, and good luck finding a suitable screen.

3. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

When you custom order a screen from any of the major mfrs., you can customize screen material, size, aspect ratio, and "header length". The latter is where you will need to speciy a longer header. You can order whatever you need to position the screen top edge the proper distance from the ceiling.

I recently spoke to Dalite about just such a custom order and was surprised to learn that I can get a basic 92" diagonal, 16:9 screen, matte white for ~$350.- (ceiling mount, manual pull-down)

You can actually order many such custom screens through www.avsforum.com
    Check out their screens forum here

Scott

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

oh, who was it?

One of the screen manufacturers - Stewart or the other one - not Dalite - Draper! - makes a chain-hung screen... hang the screen as high as you can. When you press the button to deploy the screen, the whole roller mechanism crawls down the chains, extending them as they go, and then unrolls the screen...

Overkill, perhaps?

Sounds cool, though.

Leo Kerr