What's new

what kind of roll-off point (1 Viewer)

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator
Planning on building some front channel speakers for my ht, working on the basics...

my plan is to use orion hcca car audio drivers, very very high quality drivers with excellent midbas soutput and hands down the 2nd best tweet i have personally heard.. second only yo the rainbow reference... which at 7k is a little too much for me... anyways, it consists of a 5.25" mid/woofer and a 1" tweeter, my main concern is the actual cabinet itself and at what point i would achieve acceptable response in a home environment... at what freq it should be flat down to in the enclosure.. im expecting this to be in an average sized living room, but i would like for it to at least try and keep up with a single 15" cerwin vega stroker in an infinite baffle setup receiving about 800 or so watts.. the 5.25" woofer itself has very good midbass output and while i doubt that at full tilt it could even hope to keep up with the 15, i would like to have a fairly flat response at normal levels...

another issue.. the speakers will present a 2 ohm load at the crossover, and im not sure what i should look into for a decent quality low budget amplifier to power them.. 200 rms is about as high as i would like to go, though no less than 100 rms...

so:

1. what is an acceptable roll off point for flat response using a 5.25" midwoofer caopable of playing quite low and a 15" woofer in an average sized room. asuming this is after any room gain occurs..

2. what amp is out there that can put out a solid but clean 100-200 watts into a 2 ohm per channel load...

Stephen Matthew

Stunt Coordinator
my sub choices may have changed slightly...maybe, and the hcca 5.25 is now an A/d/s 5.25 .. iow the same driver only in 4 ohms... spoke with some people who said the speaker had amazing low end for its size, but im still not sure what will work in a home environment... anybody out there??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks