1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

what kind of reward do you want after passing a haaaaard part of a game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by felix_suwarno, Apr 13, 2003.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

you guys talk, i am listening!

what do you guys like to have after beating a tough boss or cracking a puzzle?

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The satisfaction of having done it, being able to move forward in a game, whatever material wealth you gain in the digital world of the game (like a new weapon, money, etc.) and sometimes you get mad for getting nothing.

3. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I like the Zelda model. Halfway through a dungeon, you get some really cool item that will be helpful throughout the game. You typically need it to beat that dungeon's boss. Then, after you beat the boss, you get an extra heart. Perfect.

4. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I definitely like getting a new toy, new area, or whatever coin of the realm the game deals in. I'm not big on cutscenes unless they really show something, ie. Aeryn's death scene in FF7, etc.

5. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

The Zelda model is good. Some kind of bonus, items are especially nice. I've always been a sucker for the "scads of experience" model used in RPGs. That worked great in Final Fantasy IV on top of the satisfaction of beating the boss.

Metroid Prime does this really well too. The satisfaction I got from trouncing those bosses isn't something I've experienced often.

Or, instead of all that, in the immortal words of Maniac Mansion: "Cash would be nice." [​IMG]

6. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I like being rewarded with a new, even more brutal level with little to no increase in character ability, forcing an increased mastery of the game.

Ahh, the trials of Dead to Rights(Xbox) and Gunvalkyrie, if only a worthy successor would come.

However, in a 2D shooter, I'd like to see some ridiculously powerful weapons. This piddly stuff in Contra:SS, Silpheed, and Ikaruga just doesn't do it for me.

7. Michael Klein

I really like the toughest parts of games to be followed by ten minute long unskippable cutscenes, and then another even more difficult part that you can only pass maybe one out of every ten tries. The save point should taunt you from just beyond that second part.

No, wait a minute. . . actually, just give me a really cool item.

8. Krystian C

Krystian C Stunt Coordinator

Nothing beats a oral gratification from my wife in congratulations from completing a crazy difficult spot, or completing a game.

And yes I did say wife. [​IMG]

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Krystian-

While that's a wonderful thing for you, I think it might be a bit explicit for some members of the forum and I suggest you remove that comment or try to replace it with something more "acceptable."

I personally don't care what you put, but I think that might break a forum rule or two.

10. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

A save point is always nice [​IMG]

11. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Krystian,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Well usually when I beat are hard part in a game I treat myself to a bowl[​IMG]

14. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

...of cereal, right? [​IMG]