What kind of Projector and Screen can/shoud I get with a $2500 budger

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adrian_S, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

Hi all,

I know this is not a lot of money compared to some you guys (ya'll are my hero's), but I really would like to get a used/new projector instead of a RPTV. My room size is small 17x14 and it's in my apartment.

Basically, I want a pull down 16x9 wide screen I can mount on the ceiling and a projector mounted up as well, which would be used to watch dvd's from a progressive scan dvd player.

I am going to do this myself, so it has to be as easy as possible. Since this is my first time ever doing something like this, I need as much advice possible.

- What kind of projector can i really afford?
    - Once I get a projector, what size, type screen do I get?
    - How hard is it going to be to mount to the ceiling?
    - What can I expect on such a budget?

Thanks in advance...

Adrian

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Adrian,

I'm also in an apt., was looking at projectors and wanted to stay under $2500. I just got the Panasonic PT-LC75u.
    I did as much reading as I could and this little panny seems like a great performer for the money.
    I've only had it a week but am very impressed considering the cost. (around $2200)

I'd also recommend getting a Hoya FLD multi coated filter ($20). It helps with the picture quality immensely (reducing screendoor, reducing the green tint, improving colors)

Screen size is determined by how far away you mount the projector. Ceiling mounting will depend on how accessible things are above the ceiling. I plan on ceiling mounting mine and getting power from a ceiling fan connection. I'll then fish the video cables to a closet and drop them down, then run them to the equipment along the wall on the floor.

I plan on making my own screen, 45x80 using grey fabric from one of the screen manufacturers. Draper and da-lite sell there grey sreen fabric by the foot which is cheaper than buying a complete system if you can build your own frame. Cost of screen will end up being about $150-$180 for me.

I feel that 45 x 80 is plenty big for an apt and going much bigger may reduce image quality.

3. Dan Galyen

Dan Galyen Agent

Brian:

I'm interested. Where did you get that filter? I have a sharpvision and I'll do anything to help reduce screendoor and try to get a more film-like quality.

4. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

5. Dan Galyen

Dan Galyen Agent

Dave:

Thanks a lot for the links!!!

6. Adrian_S

Adrian_S Second Unit

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Dan, what kind of SharpVision projector do you have?

8. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

A warning about DLP projectors - a significant percentage of people can't stand to watch video on a single-chip (as in, sub-US$10,000) DLP projector because of the dreaded "rainbow effect."
    I recently installed a Panny PT-LC75u, and have been pleased. The big difficulty I ran into with it was that it was such a short-throw lens.
    I went to a fabric store and got generic gray cotton fabric at about $3.00/yard. The fabric I found was only 44" wide on the bolt, (and needed to be ironed!) so in my case, I'm limited to about 60" in 4:3 mode, and... maybe about 72" in 16:9? I can't remember the numbers I worked out.
    If you've any decent tools, it shouldn't be too hard to make a simple wooden frame. I don't, so I used pipe. For the amount of tension I put on it, ¾" PVC just ain't strong enough, and I'm considering replacing my piping with similar diameter iron pipe. Anyway, I bought 2 yards, and for my size, used the extra 6"/side to wrap around the pipe so I can adjust the tension fairly easily.
    Leo Kerr
    Lkerr1@alumni.umbc.edu

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How does one figure out the gain on a particular piece of fabric they acquire from the store? I am curious since I may opt to go this route in the future?