What kind of powered subwoofer to get?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by mikey_w, Sep 14, 2003.

1. mikey_w

mikey_w Auditioning

I am going to buy a powered subwoofer. I am planning on paying less than $100 total (incl. shipping). Any advice on which kinds? Thanks!

I know that's not much money but I'm only 17 and don't need much better.

2. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

mow some yards, flip some burgers,....do something to get at least $250-$300 to make it worth the purchase. if you get the absolute cheapest sub you will regret it. Yugo anyone ??????

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Don't overlook the discussions on the new 10" subwoofer from Parts Express. The price is a little more than your budget, but should give you a subwoofer that you can appreciate.

4. Jon-C

Jon-C Stunt Coordinator

I remember seeing an Acoustic Research sub on the JandR website for $99 + shipping(more than you wanted). I think the model is 108PS. It wasn't too long ago, so they may still carry it. [​IMG]
    It's probably the best deal you'll find if you can pay the extra for shipping.

5. Ron Daily

Ron Daily Extra

you can pick up a polk psw-202 on ebay new in the box for around $129.00 plus shipping. they are a nice entry level sub. Actually i just sold mine for $100 because i'm getting an svs. [​IMG]

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

There used to be a sub called the DLS10 from www.partsexpress.com that sold for $99 plus S&H and it was quite good for the price. It was discontinued and recently replaced by another model, I haven't heard the new one but if it's anything like the old one it should be well worth the money. It sells for $125 plus S&H.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-632

If $100 is non negotiable, look for a used sub. I'd put a post in the for sale/trade forum here with a title like "WTB sub for $100 shipped" and see what others have to offer.

7. KostaVan

KostaVan Extra

Just don't have any high expectations. It may be able to drop lower then that sub that came with your comp...but it won't compare to an SVS [​IMG] or HSU

8. dale^g

dale^g Stunt Coordinator

like i said...rake some leaves, mow some yards and save, save, save. it'll be worth it in the long run.