What kind of max screen size is realistic with a CTR Proj.?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luke_Y, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Assuming say; an 8" CRT Proj. such as a Ehome Marquee 8000/8500 in a completely light controlled room. As the screen gets larger light output becomes the problem. So what do you think the max diagonal screen size is on a 16:9 screen before you have to drive the Proj. so hard that "Blooming" becomes an issue?

2. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

I have an 8" Barco CRT projector with a 110" diagonal 16x9 screen. I certainly wouldn't go any larger, but it seems to handle this size OK.

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Luke,

I've seen Jim's setup and it looks wonderful (although there may be a different video processor in his system now). I agree that you shouldn't go larger. 96" X 54" is IMPO, about the limit.

BTW, blooming is not the issue at hand. The problem with overdriving a CRT is that you will burn the phosphors on the face on the used portion of the CRT. Proper light output, greyscale and color purity will be lost as a result. Regards.

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

So do you think it would be fairly safe to say that a 120 inch diag 16:9 screen would be pushing an 8 in CRT too hard or that there just wouldn't be enough light output?

5. Bill.P

Bill.P Extra

I've consulted the experts, and the word in about 16 to 20' diagonal should be fine. Of course screen type/gain would come into play here also.
    -Bill

[experts= my dad who works on Electrohomes/Barcos/etc.]

6. Sean M

Sean M Stunt Coordinator

You could do a 120" diagonal 16x9 screen without driving the CRT's too hard if you use a screen with a gain of about 1.8 and are happy with only 9 foot lamberts of light output (commercial theaters have about 12 with film running in the gate). Going for 12 ftL or using a screen with lesser gain at that size would be pushing it. It won't look as good as it would on a smaller screen, particularly the brightness, but it would work.

7. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Luke:

I projected a Zenith FPTV with 7 inch CRTs on to a 120 inch diagonal flat white painted wall for over 3 years with no problem. I did have it set up in a totally dark room though. Light control is a must with any CRT projector.

I would think that you would do fine with a 120 inch screen with the Ehome projector that you have in mind.

Parker