What kind of material for DIY FPTV screen?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am in the process of moving. As of now, I have a 1.0 gain 84" 4x3 screen. I would like to set up a 100" matt 4x3 screen at about a 2.0 gain. What kind of material would one use and what is the construction process. I would also like to have a black non-relective border also.

Thanks

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

2.0 Gain is quite high. I'm guessing you don't need any sort of gray screen then. You have a CRT?
    ScreenGoo is probably the best painted material. It goes up to 1.5 gain for digital gray, and up to 2.2 for CRT white.
    http://www.goosystems.com
    For the material itself, the easiest way to to go is probably a sheet of formica or plastic of some sort, though that is pretty big. Parkland plastics makes a sheet that's 5' x 10' I believe. You could cut this into a 60" x 80".
    For the blackout material, you can either paint with flat black (probably not the best choice), or use a velvet like cloth material to cover some wood. The wood you can get at home depot, or at a frame shop.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Thanks. My current projector is an LCD but the light is very controlled in the room.

The new setup will have to be in a room that is not totally light controlled, until such a time that I can get the basement done for the HT room. I don't want to spend a whole whack of money on a new screen, hence the DIY solution. Also, down the road, I will get a DLP projector to replace the one I have now so I will get the proper screen to match that unit, probably a negative gain screen I am assuming.