What kind of improvements can I expect?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Neil Joseph, May 27, 2003.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    I have an IBM Aptiva Pentium III running at 933MHz with 256Mb of RAM and an N-Videa video card with 32Mb of video memory. I want to replace the video card with one of the Radeon AGP cards with 128Mb of video memory. I don' run a lot of video games on my computer but I do some other video based stuff and watch some DVD's on it.

A side note.... For the longest time, I have noticed that my DVD playback is atrociously slow and choppy. I recently had to replace the DVD drive for mechanical reasons but this did not improve it. I checked the settings in the hardware and software and Power DVD etc. I also have Mediamatics and Interactual DVD software. I will try a search for another thread I posted here months ago on the DVD playback.
  2. Jonny K

Jonny K Second Unit

Dec 18, 2002
    It's hard to say what kind of improvements to expect because computers are complicated things. Your slow DVD playback could even be software related. Chances are good that if you were to wipe your computer system clean and re-install everything (even Windows), you would have perfect DVD playback. Unfortunatly, that's not something that just anybody can do. If you know computers well enough, that might be something to consider.

Replacing the video card won't have much of an effect on your computer. If you play games (3D games) it will have a large effect, but for standard 2D display (working in Windows) very little, if any, difference will be noticed. The only thing I can think of that might improve performance with a new video card would be if the card has special video features. Don't ask me what it's called, but I know most modern video cards accelerate video playback to take a load off the system. This may improve your DVD playback, but it's hard to say.

If anything, I'd say upgrade your CPU. A 1.5GHZ CPU is dirt cheap, and assuming you're doing software DVD decoding (and I'm sure you are), that will give you a significant performance boost. Of course, a new CPU won't work on your current motherboard, so you'll then have to buy a new motherboard as well.

In the end, it's hard to say what you should do. If you want better performance, I'd recommend (assuming you don't know computers well) you go to a computer place that will sell you an upgrade package that contains a new CPU and motherboard, and have them install it for you. In fact, you could probably also throw in a cheap video card as well (that would still be better than what you have).

But wait. You have an IBM Aptiva. Often computers purchased from large OEM distributers (like IBM) have many components all built into the motherboard to save cost. Therefore, if you replace your motherboard, you may have to buy a bunch MORE stuff to replace what you already had (such as a sound card).

Hah. I guess I just told you to pretty much buy a new computer, didn't I? That's kidna how things work. It's cheaper to buy a whole new computer than upgrade an old one! I'd recommend you find a good computer store and ask their oppinion. They'll be able to help you better than I can over a forum.

Jonny K. [​IMG]