What's new

What Kind Of Fish Do You Keep? (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Recently, I set up my 25 gallon Tropical Fish tank again, which has been sitting dormant for so many years. This time around, I decided to go with an undergravel filter with a powerhead, which is much quieter than the alternatives (I can't even hear it when I'm relatively close). I also put a bubble wall along the entire rear of the tank, which gives a nice effect, and the fish seem to love it.

Currently, I have in my tank:

9 Neon Tetras
6 Black Kuhli Loaches
4 Black Angel Fish
3 Marigold Swordtails
3 Silver Mollies
2 Tourqoise Gouramis

So what does everyone else here have in their Tank?

James_S

Second Unit
How much time do you have?????

I have a 250 gallon custom saltwater tank built-in my family room wall. Been up and running for about 5 years or so and talk about a pain in the butt to take care of.

Fish include:
Porcupine Puffer
Hawaiian Hawkfish
Naso Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Semilarvatus Yellow Butterflyfish
Lemonpeel Angel
Adult Emperor Angel (can't let this guy die ran me about $250.00)
and a Maroon clownfish that hates everyone in the tank

and outside I have about a 400 gallon pond that has 5 miniature Koi. (Talk about easy maintainance)

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Nice assortment of fishes there. Does your emp 'grunt' like I hear a lot of folk talk about?

I currently hate my position in life because I can't have a fish tank (live in an apartment, full time student, sort of working towards med school). Actually, I just sold my old 75 gallon because I didn't have a stand for it and it was just taking up space at my folk's house. What I wouldn't give for an 8' long salt talk full of angels, triggers, tangs & eels... sigh...

Kevin_Spradley

Stunt Coordinator
I currently have a 25 gallon freshwater tank with the following fish.

2 Red Bellied Pacu

I used to have 2 Mollys in there as well, but 2 days of not feeding the Pacu, and they ate the Mollys. Now the Pacu are grown and I am afraid to put anything else in the tank with them.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Damn James, that must be quite a sight. Post some pictures if you have any. I'd love to see them.

Hopefully that wont be happening with my fish. The store where I get them has a colour system:

Green - Community Fish
Yellow - Approach With Caution
Red - Non-Community Fish

I make sure that all the fish I get are of the 'Green' variety, so I don't need to worry about them eating each other.

However, the largest Angel Fish I have in the tank (about 1.5 inches) likes to pick on the Neon Tetras.

Alex S

Second Unit
I have a 46 gallon bow tank with the following residents:

1 green severum
1 angel fish
1 gourami
4 clown loaches
2 black skirt tetras
1 bristlenose pleco
4 green corys
2 albino corys
1 upside catfish

All get along great !

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
From what I've always understood, angel fish tend to be agressive. Not sure I'd classify them as the best choices for a community tank...especially with small tetras. Hopefully it works for you though! :)

Me, I have a vastly underpopulated 55g tank. It currently houses 5 neon tetras, 4 harliquin rasboras and one leopard danio. I lost a few fish recently, and I'm planning on redoing the entire tank. It was my first tank with live plants, and didn't go well. Not sure what I did wrong, but I had algae galore...and simply couldn't seem to get rid of it.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Gotta remember freshwater angels are cichlids, so they will show aggressive and territorial behavoir sometimes. Even the cichlids deamed non-aggressive like the discus and ram, will show these behavoirs sometimes. It's one of the survival tactics with protecting their fry. my mom and stepfather used to breed angels, discus, and many other cichlids, so I got to see all their different behavoirs.

I don't have any fish right now, but plan on having a salt and fresh water tank someday. I miss having fish to take care of and to watch. It's a nice feeling having fish that are at their best because of the way you took care of them.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Have not had a tank up and running for a while. But last year purchased a neon-blue Craw-dad for my outdoor fountain.

I really liked the little fellow, even though you could only watch him with a flashlight, after dark. Daytime he holed up and would not budge. Sadly he pulled the great escape, during a huge thunderstorm which turned the yard into a pond, with all the water everywhere he must have decided to go on a walk-about tour. (hope he packed his lunch) :)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Well, the tetras have plenty of places to hide, so they're pretty safe. The angels have kind of toned it down lately too.

I don't bother with live plants, because it takes more effort to keep those alive than the fish.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've got 9 smaller (2-4") black angels and 2 large silver ones as my primary fish in my 55 gallon tank. Its also got the usual pleco and cory's etc to help keep it clean. Mine has 5 very large amazon swords and some wendi's interspersed so its a very green tank:) My large angels will eat any smaller tetra's I put into the tank so I've stopped trying. I tried Cardinals, Neons and guppies but they didn't last very long...which isn't surprising as neon's are Angels food of choice in the Amazon river:) As for being overly agressive though they really only defend a territory when they lay eggs.

Here's my tank and stand.though its not the greatest photo of the tank.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Nothing exotic for me. I have a couple of cans of Light Tuna, a few of boneless and skinless sardines and during the Jewish holidays I have a few jars of Gefilte fish in the frige. :D

BryanZ

Screenwriter
None as of yet. Trying to let my baby peppermint shrimp grow bigger so this way they will not all disappear the first day. Ideally I'd love to get my 55G up and going but finances currently prevent it. However, my 10G mini-reef is doing well, even after being woefully neglected (not to the point of forgetting to add fresh water) and moved. Of course, then again I have spent $0 aside from fresh water on it for the past few months. Residents include:

60 or more 1/16" - 1/4" peppermint shrimp (pair mated then died a few days later - they were the result)
3 blue leg hermit crabs
4 red leg hermit crabs
turbo snail

Only filters are 17 lbs of live rock and 30 lbs of live sand. More a credit to luck than anything else.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

So I've discovered. Live plants sure look great, but I think I'll be going back to plastic. :frowning:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
That's a lot of fish for a 25g tank Mark.

I have a 29g tropical tank with a 8" pleco, two angels (one black and one yellow), three serpae tetras, two clown loaches and a male betta. I got a red claw crab a month or so ago and no matter how secure I made the tank, he kept escaping. The last time he escaped, I didn't find him for three days and by then he was all dried out.

A

Anthony_Gomez

I have 4 tanks:

30g planted (no picture yet)
Emerald Eye rasboras
otos
SAE
cherry shrimp
amano shrimp

29g planted (Pic below)
Dwarf gourami
Neons
Zebra Danios
SAE
Otos
various cories
Cherry shrimp
Amano shrimp

10g planted (no current pics)
Chocolate Australes
Scarlet Badis

0.5g planted (no current pics)
Scarlet badis

3 of my tanks are still growing in. I only have 1 tank that has grown in completely
AB/ADA entry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks