What's new

What kind of display device do you have your consoles connected to? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_S

Agent
Hope this is the right forum. I was debating about whether to post this to the Display Devices forum but I decided this was the more appropriate place because my question is targeted specifically at console gamers.

I'm in the midst of shopping around for a new TV so I wanted to get some feedback on what other gamers are using and what your experiences have been. So, what display device do you have your consoles connected to?

I'll go first-- I currently have my Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, and Dreamcast connected to a Toshiba 36A40 (36" 4x3 direct-view CRT). At the time I bought it because of the price, but now I'm really seeing some things I dislike about it (which is why I'm looking for a new one):

- a rather bulbous, definitely not flat, screen :thumbsdown:
- no anamorphic squeeze mode (manual or automatic) :thumbsdown:
- limited amount of inputs (1 s-video/1 component) :thumbsdown:

Who's next? :)

James St

Supporting Actor
I'm using a Pioneer 533 53" HD ready widescreen set. I have my Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube connected via component video. The Dreamcast is currently hooked up using the s-video but plan on buying a vga adapter and running it to the 15 pin d sub input for 480p.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Samsung 27" Dynaflat with Anamorphic squeeze in the user menu. It's not the HDTV version, as when I bought it I was still in college and had just been robbed so the difference between 450 and 900 bucks was huge, but it's still a great display and games look excellent on it and I don't even use component for my consoles(just s-video).

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Toshiba 36HFX71 36 inches of flat screen HD goodness, it has all the bells and whistles, i think it rules.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I've been using the same 32" Panasonic for about 4 years now and I'm still very happy with it. There's no squeeze mode but it has a flat screen and plenty of video ins so it will get me by till I'm in the mood to upgrade to an HDTV.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I have two TV's:

1. My TV in the guest house I live in at grad school out in L.A. is a total P.O.S. It's an old GE with the fake wood on the sides and top, and you have to wiggle the power cord in back in order for the set to work. Looks and sounds like total garbage.

2. At home in Wisconsin, I have a 27" Sony Wega V-series hooked up to the rest of my sweet system.

It's quite a difference between the two, and it looks like I'll be buying an adapter to hook my XBox up to my PC monitor at school. That TV is simply intolerable.

DeepakJR

Second Unit
Real Name
Deepak
Sony KV-27S42 here in my room for my PS2 connected with S-Video cables. Panasonic 47WX42 in my livign room with my XBOX connected with component cables. My Dreamcast and N64 float around from one TV to another.

L8rz,
Deepak Jr.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Jeff- did you check Keohi HDTV (scroll down to Misc.) to see if you can get into the service menu to do the squeeze. I still do it on the JVC upstairs and it's real easy.

I'm on a 32" wega, nothing extravagant but a very solid TV.

Romar Armas

Second Unit
I have the Toshiba 40X81 HD. Xbox is connected to HD of course. However, I also have my Dreamcast connected to HD using the VGA adapter and the Audio Authority VGA to Component transcoder. :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd_B

Second Unit
I've got all 3 consoles running into a Panasonic AE200 which projects onto a 82" screen.

Todd B

Jeff_S

Agent
Scott,

Yes, I have previously checked out Keohi HDTV. I actually did the moire fix suggested there but went a step further and drilled a hole in the back of the TV's back cover so that I could access the focus knob in the future without taking the cover off. Anyway, via the service menu, it is possible to do the anamorphic squeeze on the Toshiba 36A40. However, the fact that multiple settings have to be changed (then unchanged to restore the set back) eventually led me to stop doing it as it became too much of a hassle.

I'm leaning towards the Sony KP46WT500. I will be using it for watching cable and DVDs too, as well as for gaming (probably a 40/30/30 split respectively).

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
60" Proscan RPTV. Still has a killer picture, and there's nothing like gaming on a screen that size. FPS' and racing games really take advantage of it.

In 3 more years, it will be 10 years old. At that time, it's going up for sale because my next TV will be hanging on the wall. :)

Hopefully 3 years is enough time to help bring 60" widescreen plasma tv's, down below the $10000 mark.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
oh scuuu-rreeww the cool factor. For $10k grab yourself a decent 16:9 DLP with 120" screen. :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
53" Sony RP HD. The set is 4:3, and I like it like that...no stretching, but true 16:9 modes are available. Also, the 960i doubler is the best doubler around (IMO) for interlaced games. But most of the time I am playing 480p XBox and GCN titles.

StevenK

Second Unit
Sanyo PLV-Z1.

For half the cost of a 36" direct view TV, get 120" screen that takes both component and vga input.

You have to see Halo "Life-Sized" to truly appreciate it.

Ray Warner

Stunt Coordinator
Nah, I hooked up my Xbox to a Bang & Olufsen "BeoVision 4" 50" 1080i Plasma Display, with a full B&O surround setup. That game slaps Halo around in terms of graphical kick-ass.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I've got all my systems hooked up via component cables to my new Sony 36" HS510 HDTV. I have my DVD player hooked up to the 1st HD input. Then I just recently purchased a JVC component switcher which allows me to hook my 3 systems up to it with component cables and then I run another compoenent cable into the 2nd HD input on the tv. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

I have to recommend the JVC switcher to anyone who wants all their systems hooked up with components. I bought it at Cructhfield.com and they were a pleasure to deal with. It cost $99 and I was concerned I would lose some picture quality but that is not the case at all as far as I can tell. Just make sure you buy a nice set of component cables to hook from the switcher box to your tv. That is the key to not losing any signal quality.

Also, to anyone who hasn't played games in progressive scan it really is worth checking out. I have seen the new Samsung EDTV in Circuit City stores recently and that is a great set for getting into the HDTV world. It runs about $700 for the 32" version. It doesn't allow full 1080i resolution but it does offer 480p for all your Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox games that support it. The Samsung set also has a anamorphic squeeze option for games and dvds. It's just a really nice tv for the gamer who wants to play games in progressive scan but doesn't want to spend more than $700. They may even offer a 27" version for less. Here are some links for those who read my entire post. :)

The JVC component switcher----

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&avf=N

The Samsung EDTV at Circuit City----

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...rk_0&oid=71919

Dan.B

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks