What's new

What kind of collector you are? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh, just the thread I needed to ask a question I've always wanted to ask.

Shouldn't a true collector of DVD's collect the Fullscreen versions as well as the Widescreen versions? I mean, in order to be a "Complete" collection, you should have both.

This questioning comes to mind because the Indiana Jones set has different art work for the fullscreen set. Considerin how in love most are about the cover art, you'd think collectors would want both versions.

When the Star Wars VHS tapes were released, I had originally bought the Fullframe versions (in the Gold box), but then I bought the Widescreen version (in the silver box) when I noticed they came out with one. The boxes look cool together on the shelf.

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a collector at all. I buy a few DVD's usually 2nd hand and the occasional classics like (Fear and Loathing or Lawrence of Arabia SuperBit) or concert film that i think will have replayability.

For the most part I consider buying DVD's a waste of money since 99% of movies I'll never watch more than twice - and 90% not more than once.

These are mass merchandise items so where's the collectible value? I'll admit the packaging is alluring but I always stop myself and wonder how many times I'll really want to watch the thing for $20. Then it usually goes back on the shelf.

Lev-S

Second Unit
I'de say 1 and 3. It better be Region 1, OAR only, DTS version preferred and either Special Edition/Limited Edition/Collector's Edition/Deluxe Edition/Platinum Edition/Vista Series/Ultimate Series/Extreme Series/Criterion Collection/infinifilm/Director's Cut.

If not any of the above, I don't but/watch or rent, unless there is no alternative. (ie - Master of Desguise. But I'de sooner as castrate myself with fishing knives than watch that).:D

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a combination of 2 and 3.

I use to buy a good 2-3 new titles per week, and if there was a sale, I would usually get 10 titles per sale. Damn you Best Buy. But that was basically to show off the system's sound and what not.

Now in present time, I have sold off a good amount of those DVDs and have only bought classics, family movies, and personal favorites. I also buy series of franchises that I tend to like but the movies aren't as good. For example, while I thought Matrix was great, and Reloaded was a pure rental, I am still buying Reloaded on DVD and any editions of it that is sure to come out.

So maybe in reality I am all 3 categories.

Raymond

2.5 for me :) Buy the colletor's sets of my favorite movies and I factor in the box too. I like the look of some DVD's like LOTR collector's set and Lion King's. I watch my movies more than once for sure. I don't go the the lengths of region free dvd players, new system for simply dts, etc. I have a nice system I think with a progressive scan player. Something like Star Wars episode 2 slightly pushed me to get a dvd for show though I enjoyed the movie. Doesnt have much replay value though as it was quite a bit more boring after the first time in theaters.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Interesting, no one admits to being a 1. You'd think there'd be a few on HTF.

Most are claiming to be 2, or between 2 and 3. I will stick my neck out and admit to being 1.9, i.e. mostly 2 but with SOME "collector" instincts, e.g. have entire Bond series, TNG (even though I wonder if I'll ever watch S1 and 2 much), getting DS9, have entire Space:1999 (even though S2 is bleh).

I actually have the Pearl Harbor giftset, even though I'm not that big a fan of the movie, just to get the National Geographic disc.

Having said that, I was able to easily resist getting the Speed box, settling for just the first movie and forgetting about that travesty called Speed 2... on the other hand I actually have Scary Movie 2...

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

This pretty much describes me to a "T". I own 450+ films on DVD--about a third of those are in a foreign language, and most are classic films more than 25 years old. I bought a Malata all-region player a few months ago, and now own 25 or more non-R1 discs (growing rapidly). Even though I have 5.1 & DTS capabilities, sound is the least important parameter for me. I believe I only own a handful of MAR titles (most bought when I was first building my collection & didn't know any better).

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Sergio:
J6P is Joe sixpack, ie the guy next door who buys his beer (sixpack) but also a DVD because it`s cool. He usually doesn`t have a clue about DVDs doesn`t know about regions and certainly has never watched anything remotely independent (for film).

generally speaking of course.

HTH

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Number 2 all the way. My buddy Ben, however, is a number 1, and maybe a step above. If From Justin To Kelly came out in a 3 disc mega super-jam slizzle set, he'd buy it. Just because its special. He needs to join this site.

Greg Black

Second Unit
I'd have to say that I'm around the 1.8-1.9 range. I like box sets, special editions, and having all the sequels, but I will make exceptions in certain cases (like Jurassic Park 3). I am now at a point where I am trying to fill in gaps in my collection (330+ DVDs) such as classic movies and certain genres I like, such as westerns, horror, and sci-fi.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Im pretty much a 2, but I gotta admit that I have serious aspirations towards being a 1. If I had the money I would certainly buy the entire Criterion collection (and more) even though I probably wouldn’t watch half of them.

I sort my 400+ DVD collection alphabetically - both by title and studio *cringe*
Although thankfully I don’t look like him I have been referred to as “The comic shop guy from the Simpsons - aka: The Collector’ *double cringe*

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
I thought Joe Six-Pack was someone unsophisticated in the ways of home theater?
well the guy who only buys them because they are "in" or wants to brag about them (yet still watches them in P&S and so on) is unsophisitcated in home theater.

I`m not entrely sure what you mean with unsophisitcated:
I know many people who haven`t got a sophisitcated home theater, but who are still avid DVD and filmfans.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
20% #1

30% #2

50% #3

If I had more money to spread around id buy more DVD's but I don’t spend every cent on them. I’m always looking for new and different movies to view to expand my mind with. My favorite movies get played for family and friends over and over again. I seek out the best package of my favorite movies and will not hesitate to double dip if a there has been a significant improvement. NO OAR = NO SALE! I have a life but am still working on the girlfriend part.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There's probably a lot of personal interpretation that goes on with the meaning of a J6P, but I think if you gather all of the guys who have ever sat in their living rooms and drank an entire six pack of beer in one night, I think you can get a pretty good idea of their personality :D

p.s. I think we also have to incorporate the type of beer Mr. J6P drinks as well, I can't see him with a 6 pack of Guiness, it's more like a 6 pack of Schlitz or Busch. ;)

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
Great Question!! There's no doubt that time (and expense) has caused a shift in my buying habbits. To a great extent I used to be somewhere between a type 1 and a type 2:

- example was that I couldn't resist buying the full set of Planet of the Apes (despite them being non-anamorphic when first released and still not having gone through the whole set after several years of ownership)

I shifted to a type 2 to focus more selectively on titles I was interested in getting (based on the wish to see them several times in a given year):

- example was that I purchased a $50 region-free player and went after the R2 version of 'The African Queen'.

More recently I have fallen back on a type 3 due to shifting priorities and a collection that is already somewhere in the 1300's in size :b . I have definitely slowed my puchasing behavior to the intended titles I've had on a 'must have' list over many years (if and when they become available in a decent release for R1):

- example is that despite wanting to complete my AFI 100 list, I have stayed away from non-R1 versions of King Kong and Bringing up Baby.

I'm more content now to wait out the inevitable special editions of these titles sometime in the future. I'm in no particular hurry to get the Star Wars Trilogy, though I'm sure I won't be able to resist when it eventually hits the streets. This brings me to filling out my classics collection and a couple of new titles in a given year that I missed at the theater and am very interested in getting (i.e. Bend it Like Beckham and probably SeaBiscuit).

Joel

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
example was that I purchased a $50 region-free player and went after the R2 version of 'The African Queen'.
That movie alone, btw, is a perfectly good reason to get a region-free DVD. That and GUNGA DIN.

But I *do* have several editions of the original King Kong on DVD (minus the brazilian one, cause I despise the bootlegger who put it out) just because I love that mamalickin´ movie soooo much.

And when the Warner SE is out (rumour is that it will come with SON OF KONG among the extras - not too far-fetched, cause this loveable sequel is just 70 minutes long), I´ll be the first in line to buy it.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm a no. 2 with strong #1 influences.
And what did I read here? Someone owning only 31 DVDs with the shrink wrap still on? :)

Interesting, no one admits to being a 1. You'd think there'd be a few on HTF.
Remember that problem about two isles, one having liars and the other truth-tellers. And for the solution you have to take into account that a liar, when asked, will say he's a truth-teller (so no-one will ever say "I'm a liar")?

A #1 will consider him/herself too sloppy, so prefers to pose as a #2.

Cees

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see how you all would categorize my DVD buys (I'd also like to know if someone else does the same thing I do)...

Besides the DVD's that I really want to own, there are some that I will buy because of the extras and the "Special Edition" label. What I mean is, I always seem to find more of an appreciation for a film after I've seen the bonus material and listened to the directors commentary. Seeing all the hard work and other stuff that went into the movie makes even the most horrible movie seem worth buying to me.

For example, a lot of the Disney movies. I don't mean the newer ones or the Pixar ones, I'm talking about Sleeping Beauty and Snow White, etc. If it not for the SE's I probably wouldn't have bought these DVD's. Snow White was a good movie, but I don't see it as a "Must Have" for me, yet the commentary and extras made this DVD a "Must Have"

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I work in the video production field and love to see all the featurettes on how they do what they do...

So in this sense, I wouldn't consider myself a movie lover persay as I would say I am a movie production lover.

Although there are plenty of movies that I just outright LOVE...It's just that, about 20% of my DVD's were bought mainly to see the behind the scenes stuff. (another example would be Die Hard 1 - 5 Star Edition)

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks