What's new

What kind of cloth to wipe DVDs (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Would I use to wipe smudges or finger prints off of dvd discs?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Some people swear by camera or eyeglasses lens cleaning cloth. Personally, I’ve always just breathed on the discs to put some light moisture on the fingerprint or smudge then wiped gently in a straight line from the center hole to outside edge with my t-shirt. I’ve never scratched or damaged a disc (cd, dvd, HD-dvd, Blu-ray, or 4K UHD Blu-ray) this way.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I purchased the Star Wars 4K complete collection and the phantom menace is freezing and skipping on the 4K disc. I’m hoping I can fix this by lightly wiping the disc

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
A clean microfiber towel should be all you need. With discs the important thing is how you wipe them. Always from the center, out. Never in circles.

Definitely.

If one knows how exactly the error correction code is implemented on cd/dvd/bluray/4Kbluray discs, one will understand immediately why wiping in circles is very bad for discs.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Definitely.

If one knows how exactly the error correction code is implemented on cd/dvd/bluray/4Kbluray discs, one will understand immediately why wiping in circles is very bad for discs.

So from left to right like mr. Miyagi with the paint the fence motion, right?

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So far all appears to be well. Only 2 brief pauses after using the micro fiber cloth. The first time it skipped 9 times

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks