What's new

What kind of cables to connect pre/pro and amp? (2 Viewers)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
I have purchased a Rotel RSP-976 pre/pro and a Rotel RMB985 Mk II amp, and I need cables to connect them. I initially planned on purchasing some stereo audio cable to make the five connections between the two units, but doubts crept in after I read through too many threads. The cables connecting the pre/pro to the amp are for the sole purpose of transmitting the audio to the speakers (unless I'm missing something?) so my initial plan is the correct plan, is it not? If not, then what kind of interconnects should I use? Digital? Video, so as to have 75 ohms instead of 50 ohms?

I was considering these:
http://www.araccessories.com/pro2/pr..._id=2&sub_id=7

Also, if I have a problem finding a single cable for the center channel connection, can I simply purchase another pair of stereo audio cables and just use either one of them for the center channel? I assume the red and white markings are simply to make it easier to make the proper connections between amp and speaker.

I suspect I'm too tired and I've been thinking too long about what should be a simple matter...

Thanks for saving my sanity.
-Steve

Stop worrying so much. The stereo cables will work just fine and the only difference between the red and black is the color. Actually since they always come in pairs I'll bet everyone has at least one spare cable. I know I do.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
All video cables should be made with something called 75 ohm coax. They make dandy audio cables, but most audio cables are actually made with 50 ohm coax.

The only trick you need to watch out for is to NOT mix audio & video cables for your 5 channels. You want them all to be 50 ohm or all of them to be 75 ohm or you could have a level-shift problem.

My advice: get 2 sets of Component video cables. This will give you 6 identical RCA wires (you just ignore one). And the bundle will be neat/clean.

Other advice: put the AMP on the bottom shelf. This allows all the speaker wires to flow out away from the other wires and electronics. Put the pre-processor above it leaving a good 6-12 inches of space above the amp for ventilation. Now measure the distance you need for cables from the pre-processor to the amp and other electronics. Put the DVD/CD/VCR devices on the upper shelves so you dont have to stoop to interact with them.

Good Luck.

Iver

Second Unit
STEVE: The cables connecting the pre/pro to the amp are for the sole purpose of transmitting the audio to the speakers (unless I'm missing something?)
Those cables are carrying a line-level audio signal from the preamp to the amp, not a terribly challenging task. Any audio cable will work fine, including stereo audio cables (you'd leave one unused, of course, as three stereo cables would give you six lines for only five connections).

I wouldn't buy video cables for this if they were going to cost any more than audio cables because there would be no performance advantage.

No te preocupes. Sea feliz.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Why 2 set of component video cables? Why would you run video cables for audio inputs? I just bought a Rotel 1075 and 1066. I used Audioquest Diamondbacks to connect the pre-amp to the amp. I highly recommend them or Tara Labs. Just a good audio cable. Because it does no good to buy nice equipment then hook it up with the wrong type of cables. So I would go to your local hi-end audio dealer and see what they have in the $50-100 price range. Hope this helps

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
You need not spend much for interconnects. As Iver said, this is a line level signal, and the frequency is in a VERY low range. Characteristic impedances (50 Ohm, 75 Ohm, 200 Ohm) will NOT make a difference because those impedances only come into play around radio frequencies. The fact is, as long as the cable meets these requirements it will be fine: http://sound.westhost.com/cables-p3.htm#interconnects

This is a statement I agree with because I know it's true from my background, "There is no reason at all to pay exorbitant amounts of hard earned cash for the "Audiophile" interconnects. These manufacturers are ripping people off, making outlandish claims as to how much better these cables will make your system sound - rubbish! Buy some good quality audio coaxial cable and connectors from your local electronics parts retailer, and make your own interconnects. Not only will you save a bundle, but they can be made to the exact length you want."

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Wow I have to say that I really had no idea. So thank you for posting that thread. It has helped me already.

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for the helpful replies. I'm up and running and enjoying the move to separates.

Iver

Second Unit
Thanks for that link Mat, it appears to cover some very interesting topics. I will bookmark it.

There seems to be a definite inverse relationship between knowledge of basic electronic theory and propensity toward believing in the voodoo-based audio products. Premium power cords are of particularly high amusement value.

Here's an enlightening site put up by an engineer with 30 years experience at McIntosh. It also has some of the best information around on sensible speaker-wire run lengths at various gauges.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerr7/wire.htm

Geno

Supporting Actor
As a side note, I have always tested my audio cables as a video cable. no im not stupid or crazy.

i sat down and hooked up my dvd player to my tv, video feed only. the ones thag gave the best video signal were ones I knew would have the best audio signal too. does anyone understand me???

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
I do...sort of. The video cable that would give the best signal for video must be impedance matched to 75 Ohms. This characteristic impedance (for those who know what it means) is NON-existant at audio frequencies. The job for line-level audio interconnects is so trivial I don't understand why people blow huge wads of cash on them.

Geno

Supporting Actor
mat, kinda off the subject but are thee any good high end stores in tempe area???

Mat_M

Stunt Coordinator
That's a good question. I'll check into that and let you know. I usually go to one in Mesa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks