What's new

What kind of amps are people using for 2 Channel? (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that those are bookshelf speakers and if I remember correctly, they'll take upwards of 100 watts continuous. Now if you put those in a large room where your sitting distance goes to maybe 12-15 feet, then you'll need to start pushing them with more continuous power in order to get the volume to where you want it. I'd hazard a guess, that somewhere around 70 watts or so of power, you'll be starting to push the distortion levels of the speakers to greater levels. I think they'll work fine in a smaller space, but you may want to reconsider using them as your main speakers in the future.

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Lee-M,

Moving to a 5-channel system doesn't force one to get rid of their stereo amps. It's a shame that you allowed a wonderful piece (like that McCormick) to fly away. It is so easy to incorporate Home Theater into a high-quality 2-channel system.

Your 2-channel rig stays exactly as is, you just use another input into your stereo preamp from you HT equipment. There's no switching out of interconnects; there's no switching out of speaker cables. You don't need "Home Theater Bypass". You just need "pre-outs" on your HT preamp/amp/receiver. All your 2-channel inputs still go directly into the stereo preamp - bypassing any HT amp/receiver you utilize.

There's a gentleman from this site who has contacted me (thru private e-mails) who in the same situation. His "Home Theater guru" is advising him to dump his $6,000 stereo preamp, because "it serves no purpose in a cutting edge Home Theater". This is this guru's train of thought, even though my new friend explained that this system would be ~70% 2-channel / 30% DVD.

Here's the bottom line for anyone reading this thread:

If you have a nice 2-channel system that you really like, and you simply want to expand this sytem to include DVD Surround Sound, DON'T REPLACE ANY COMPONENT IN YOUR CURRENT SYSTEM!! Every piece will have a function in both systems.

I'm sorry - I will meekly step off my soapbox now.

Kevin

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think that's prudent thinking Kevin. There's lots to be said for working with good components and then adding as you need things.

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

I tried the integration method; adding a home theater receiver, sending the pre-outs for the mains from the receiver, through my McCormack TLC-1 preamp, and on to my McCormack DNA-1.

The results were terrible. The sound difference and signal-loss made the possibility of a realistic soundstage impossible. I soon found myself removing my McCormack preamp from the system when I watched movies, sending the pre-outs from the receiver directly to my McCormack amplifier. It became such a chore to make this physical re-connection every time I wanted to switch between music and movies, I just started using my receiver as a preamp (the results for music-listening were abysmal, but I had found that I was listening to over 75% 5.1 material, anyway).

I eventually concluded, and due in part to my inability to capture a realistic front soundstage (my ears are extremely picky; I can discern between different brands on interconnects), that to thoroughly enjoy 5.1 movie sound, I was going to want a better HT processor and 5-channel amp. This would have the result of offering a balanced sound to my speakers, and simplify the connections and user-interface for switching between sources.

My spouse is patient, but she preferred I make the two big purchases (5-channel amp, processor) locally, and to try not to spend more than I could sell my McCormack set for.

This proved possible when I bought the 5-channel amp (Rotel RMB-1095); quite impossible when trying to secure a processor that could come close to the higher-end quality I had been spoiled by... I eventually convinced Mrs. M to let me get the Anthem AVM20. I cannot speak highly enough of the Anthem; and the Rotel is a very solid piece of equipment, as well. My front soundstage is now seamless; my speakers seem to have disappeared, leaving a very realistic natural environment for movie material.

If I had the space in my audio rack (and I don't), and if I had not been trying to make money from component sales before buying another unit, I would have secured a McCormack 3-channel amp to fill out the five channels, and kept my McCormack DNA-1; unfortunately, someone with not unlimited means such as myself cannot always spend the money to get exactly what we want.

I made a choice... with my system, and my own discerning ears, the route of simply introducing 5.1 channel sound to my existing 2.1 system did not work out. In my own fantasy world, I would have competely separate set-ups for music and home theater, but it's not possible at my level of income.

Lee-M

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Lee-M,

Like you, I had a very strict budget.

Yet, I am baffled at the difficulty you encountered. I have a pretty nice 2-channel setup. The HT components I've attached to it (amp/Rear speakers) are considerably less-expensive. The disparity in quality (and certainly price)is pretty wide.

In addition, my stereo preamp and amp are both tubed, while my HT integrated is Solid State. This should make integration even more difficult.

Despite this, the sound for watching DVDs is actually pretty seamless from front to back. Of course, I have no Center Speaker "muddying up" my image across the front. My Mains carry the brunt of the entire HT signal (everything except the Rears).

I'm certain you did what was best for you, your wife, and your system. I'm just a little surprised (actually a lot surprised) your sound deteriorated so much when watching movies.

Oh well, I'm sure you are very happy with your current system - it sounds like it's wonderful.

Kevin

Shiu

Second Unit
When I bought my like new floor standing Energy Connoisseur years ago (top of the end at the time), the person who sold them to me had a 4B. The Energy sounded fantastic in his place. I was on a tight budget so I bought the Adcom GFA-555 to drive it. I am still happy with it today. Its a very powerful amplifier with exceptionally quiet power supply transformer and huge capacitors. I think the Bryston 4B sounds better in terms of clarity; and they must have improved over the years. Go for it if you can afford it. These types of amplifiers are so well built that they seem indestructible. For at least this reason, you may be stuck with it for a long time so you may as well get what you really want in the first place. I hope you don't need a preamp, they cost a fortune too, and that's why I ended up with the Adcom GFP656 preamp too.

Scott_N

Second Unit
I have a Aragon 8008ST in my 2-channel system right now. I hope to have a Cary V12R pretty soon though.

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

I think you hit the nail on the head with the idea that the center channel makes the difference in balance... most of the changes I have made in the past year due to sound imbalance were in an attempt to get that front soundstage where it needs to be.

It is absolutely critical that the center channel be timbre-matched to the mains... I finally came up with the center (Klipsch Academy) that is matched to my Klipsch Fortes... it was only manufactured from 1992-1994, and frequently sells for 50% more than original retail, due to all of the Klipsch Heritage speaker owners who do not want to let go of their excellent speakers (nearly 15 years for mine, and they blow away anything new in their price range).

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I use a Crown Macro Reference, E version (consumerized version of this pro amp), which I've owned for about 8 years. Were I to replace this amp today, I would either go for the latest Crown Macro or, more likely, a QSC PLX3402. This 700 watt/side can be had for $1,000 or so - a stupendous value. If you don't need 700 watts, there are several other models in QSC's PLX series that should do just fine.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the post Alan, I see so few posts from owners of Crown amps, alot of Bryston though so I'm sure they are good. You did mention QSC which I've heard good things about too. Do you possibly have any input on how well Crest amps hold up in this application?

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I use a Proceed HPA-2 for two channel.

If you have a nice 2-channel system that you really like, and you simply want to expand this sytem to include DVD Surround Sound, DON'T REPLACE ANY COMPONENT IN YOUR CURRENT SYSTEM!! Every piece will have a function in both systems.
I would also agree with Kevin on this one. Add on as you need it. Alot of the newer highed 2 channel stuff has this kind of design built in. But there are ways of doing it with older 2 channel pre's as well. Takes a bit of tweaking, but it can be done and without effecting your 2 ch setup at all.

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

Thanks for the support...

Paul,

I've realized I've responded twice on this thread of yours, yet never answered your original question.

My 2-channel amps are:

KORA Cosmos monoblocks
KORA Eclipse preamp

Kevin

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
I recently auditioned the new Parasound Halo A23 amp (MSRP ~$850) and I was really impressed! It is a two channel amp at 125 wpc continuous, but it had all of the muscle I needed for my Maggies (very inefficient speakers!) in my large room (20 x 14 x 18). I heartily recommend it to anyone looking for high quality stereo sound.

I haven't heard the Bryston with my own ears, but I really have not heard anything but good things about them, so you can't go wrong with a Bryston either.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Karl: Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Crest amplifiers - the Crown is the only pro amp I've ever used.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks Alan for the reply. You definitely can't go wrong with using Crown amps, they've proven themselves to be the industry standard in pro audio for many years.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
and they still come with an individual serialized performance printout too i think. I'd like to see more of that especially with the high priced stuff that's out there.

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Karl,
I use QSC amps in my system and they are great. :D
And I will be adding a couple more later this year.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the reply John. I've been seeing more and more HT enthusiasts using QSC amps,also Crown! Talk about some serious watts on hand. They have a fantastic track record in the grueling pro audio workplace.

Marc H

Second Unit
I use an Adcom GFA5802 to drive my Veritas V2.8 to insane but totally painless levels. Lovely combo. My only complaint was a bit of looseness in the bass but changing the power cord solved that.

The recommendation for the DNA 1 is a good one too. That's on my top ten list for all time fav's. Hard to find used though as folks tend to hang on to them.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I use an Aragon 4004 Mark II (200x2) for the two channel work and use Acurus for the other channels for the HT side of it. Clean, Clear and powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks