What's new

What it's like to be an 80s fan... (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
So when you need a little piece of mind
Come on over boy any time
I'll keep you happy and so satisfied
In my house. In my house.
So when you need some love and tenderness
And it's me baby that you miss
Here's the key to unlock the door
In my house. In my house.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was 13 in 1980. I adore the decade and would live those moments again, good and bad, if I could. The 1970s were also more fun than many say it was. I liked the 90s too. But the 2000s suck so far.

Bill & Ted. :emoji_thumbsup:

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I forgot about that song and just purchased the MP3 from Amazon. There are a lot of other titles that it associated with that I'll be checking out too.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Man, I recorded my 80's 12" vinyl to the computer years ago, but the sound card was shit. Now I have a Nikko Beta II preamp, and a Delta-1010 and all the software I need to rerecord that stuff, clean it up and master it in 24/96, and archive it that way.

As if I don't have enough projects...

I was into so much different music in the 80's, and all of it was great.

I most remember washing my parachute pants with Woolite, shopping at Chess King, wearing a mullet that everyone thought was SO COOL. One Halloween, I wore the red parachute pants, a Motley Crue t-shirt, a hyper-teased up blonde wig, and rode around on my motorcycle as Vince Neil. One of my buddys was Ozzy from the "Diary" cover.

Anyone remember the "Burning Down the House" video with David Byrne playing guitar in front of a filmed audience? Does that make anyone else think of Guitar Hero? Hahaha

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Buzz, you need to let me know what you have on 12" from the 80s. I used to have a huge collection, a lot of it stuff you just can't find anymore, and the collection got ruined when one of my pipes burst and flooded my basement when I was away.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Please, you're killing me! :D

Ah, Chess King and Parachute Pants. I remember kids practicing their moonwalk in gym class. And everyone doing the worm (?) when breakdancing hit big. And beatboxing. A moment of silence for the beatboxing. ... Back when rap was rap, and actually fun.

I miss the Big Hair.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
So by the standards of the time, you were quite a restrained dresser?

Did the fashion for Brylcreeming your hair not catch on in the USA? [In case that doesn't translate well - hair that was greased. Brycreem was the brand name of the hair cosmetic of choice in the UK]. It was a mid- to late-eighties thing in the UK.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Okay I was 4 when the 80's began and I have to say as much cool stuff as the 80's produced, it also produced a lot of crap.

My memories of the 80's include (both good and bad): not in any timeline order whatsoever!

Hair ribbons or yarn ties: My mother actually thought my sister and I looked cute in ponytails with yarn ties. Ugh!

Days of the week underwear still haunt me in my dreams. Not to mention ruffled panties. What were mothers thinking back then?

My mother bought me the Annie record and I wore it out singing to it, dancing to it. I thought I was Annie!

I still have the Michael Jackson microphone that my parents bought me for christmas. It played through the magic of radio, not very well might I add.

Madonna forever changed my life and my personal style. I went from ponytails to ratted hair with cut up tees used as head bands. Leggings and dancer boots were all the rage!

Everyone owned a jean jacket and a jean skirt to match. Usually worn with 2-3 pairs of different colored slouch socks and either rebocks, K-swiss or Keds. Another ugh look!

Banana Clips were a part of the daily hair ritual.

3rd grade was when I discovered The Cure and I was drawn to the gothrock/mope rock genre.

My walls were plastered with posters of Robert Smith, Duran Duran, The Ramones.

Swatch watches were all the rave in my school. If you didn't own more than one (which I didn't) you were uncool.

Bermuda shorts and mexican sandals were another big thing in school where I lived (Arizona). Horrible look.

Every little girl had atleast 3 pairs of jellies. Mine were blue, black and red.

In the late eighties, I wore big baggie black "genie" pants tucked into black boots and some form of concert tshirt or off the shoulder top. Hair was teased so big and so high.

My favorite pair of shoes were these black leather witch boots that had skull buckles down the sides. I wore them with everything.

Before there was MTV (atleast in my house. We didn't get cable), there was Friday Night videos on channel 18.

Saturday morning had the awesome DIC cartoon line up. All the Atari games had their own cartoons shows, Punky Brewster had a magical friend called Gloomer ( if memory serves), Beverly Hills Teens were the animated 90210 (waaaay better)

Charmkins, Strawberry Shortcake, Gizmo, Big Wheels, Veriflex skateboards, Garbage Pail Kids, Transformers, Army Ants, Gleeps (best sour candies ever), Ferrell's Ice Cream Parlor, White Castle, Pachinko.

and yes the 80's had horrible hair and some awful clothing, but every generation goes through that.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Bwah!!

You got exposed to The Cure at a very young age.

Andrew, I don't think the Brylcream phase really took off here, unless you were a fan of The Stray Cats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks