What it is about the Bose...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rory Buszka, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I think I've finally developed a good hypothesis as to why people think the Bose Acoustimass sets actually put out bass.

You know when you've been to rock concerts and heard the sound systems with their huge bass enclosures? If not, then you've never experienced the feeling of a bass bin. As many as 20 or more 18" woofers, all being pushed to the maximum limits of output, and they have a lot of distortion that comes fromt he motor structure operating outside of its linear range.

With the Bose Acoustimass subwoofers, they produce this same nebulous bass that doesn't truly go low but it booms right around 80 Hz. The little 5.25" woofers just can't keep up, so they're operating outside their linear range, and creating the kind of bass sound that you get when you're out in the audience of a rock concert and the bass bins are going boom.*

*Note that I did not say they actually create a pressure wave. They just go whoof as though you're a long way away from the bass bins.

Just a thought.

2. DavidBelis

DavidBelis Agent

I agree.

I had a Bose Acoustimass 10 version 3 5.1 system for about a month (before I returned it and picked up 4 Titans, a CC170, and a PDR10).

Anyways, the thing I noticed about the bass on the Bose, is that it wasn't the least bit accurate. PLus, it didn't integrate itself with the rest of the sound (from the 5 speakers) at all.

When listening to music, watching a movie, or whatever, aside from the very shallow, detail-less, terrible sound, the bass simply didn't go with the rest of the sound. It was just boom after boom. The woofer is supposed to pick up where the speakers leave off, and there should be a nearly seemless connection between them.

When listening to the Bose, like I said, I was hearing the speakers play the mid-high range (if that's what you can call it with Bose [​IMG] ), and the woofer just seemed to be randomly throwing in very 'blurry' inaccurate, unclear booms.

Boy, am I ever glad that I switched over to the Paradigms. [​IMG]

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

more like the Bose 80hz boom corporation.

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

I agree completely with what Mike said.

One thing I would like to add is that anyone who has studied acoustics and speaker design or hell has even read a few books here and there knows that a bandpass type "subwoofer" like what BOSE use's is typically pretty useless.

Bandpass enclosures are bad in many regards

1.) they have to be tuned to a certain frequency. They sound best at that frequency but once you get to far higher or lower from that frequency they sound like well crap!

2.) becuase they are tuned they will produce a very boomy sound at certain frequencys and have absolutely no output at other frequencys.

3.) most bandpass enclosures are tuned to say 30-50hz and typically will not yield very good response above say 100hz depending on what type of bandpass design was used.

4.) BOSE will use the "well we designed it like pipe organ a long pipe with a low amount of air pressure to produce big sound". Has anyone ever seen a pipe organ??? one pipe produces 1 note! for each frequency a pipe organ creates it has to have a pipe at a certain length to produce that frequency. Yes a pipe organ is probably the most efficient sound producing device known to man typically using less than 5 psi to produce a sub 20hz note that will damn near shake you accross the floor.

5.)Next they will tell you that we use "direct reflecting" technology to make it sound more realistic. well thats great and all for a stereo source but not 5.1 surround and hey guess what DSP does the same thing without wasting your money on BOSE.

6.)I dont know if people have noticed this but they haven't done anything new in almost 20 years just repackaged the same piece of crap stuff they've been selling over and over.

can you tell I hate BOSE?? good! I feel sorry for anyone that gets suckered into buying there products, I remember reading a really good thread on here by some of our Canadian counterparts about a company called Nuance seems like both of these companys share the same shady sales tactics, not to mention the Commission they pay to the sales people that sell them. roughly 15-20% that should tell the mark up on there crappy products.