What is your Throw distance?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by DanielKellmii, Apr 26, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Is anybody out there using a throw distance of ~16 feet for there projector? Instead of a ceiling mount, I would like to mount a projector on a back shelf which would be 16 feet away and any height that I choose. Is that even possible for less than $2K. I just want to project on a painted spot on the wall. I have limited light control in the room, so that is also a concern. I will take whatever size I end up with. No matter what, it will be big.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Hmm, that may depend on what you want, 16x9 or 4x3. You could get the Sony HS-20, a nice little WXGA-class LCD projector (1366x768 pixels) that would give you about 105" diagonally a 16' distance (lens to screen) of course assuming that the budget could accomodate the extra $800. That size of screen would suit it quite nicely. I think it can be had for around us$2800 or so.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Daniel, the Hitachi Home 1 will work for you. It has a very wide zoom lens, very versatile. Go to Projectorcentral.com and read about it.

4. DanielKellmii

Thanks for the info. 16x9 is my primary concern since it will be used for movies most of the time. 105" is great, maybe even too big. (Nahhhh) I would be happy with a 72 inch pic, the rest is a bonus. I want a good pic quality, and the ability to watch it in a room with some ambient light. I will never be able to fully light control the room. The best I can do is close all the blinds.

5. Eric Hahn

Eric Hahn Agent

Projector central has a throw calculator, check it out, and check out he benq6100, or 6200, the 6100 has a long throw, but if shelf mounting, take notice where the exhaust ports are, last thing you want to do is fry a new pj.

just my .02

6. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

I'm in exactly the same boat, (see my placement thread). the wall behind my seating position is also 16' from the screen, but the projector I bought would produce much too big a pic at that distance, (Sony HS3). Do you know of any retractable ceiling mounts?

7. DanielKellmii

My ceiling is high enough, I just have a fan in the way. So far, I haven't figured out a workaround for that.[​IMG]
    If I put it in front of the fan, it is too close, behind the fan.... well I might as well just put it on a shelf. That is where I am. I don't mind a big pic, just as long as I get decent quality.

8. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

The Z2 is great for Shelf mounting (thats what I did with mine). You'll get a native 16x9 diplay for under $2000. The only issue would be the 124" display at 16 feet...if thats a problem!?

9. DanielKellmii

DuWayne (I get it, that is funny) How does it look? How close can you get?

Sorry if I am being dense, but who makes the Z2?

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Sanyo

11. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

i have my benQ 6200 sitting on top of a homemade equipment rack about 16 feet from my wall. i can get anywhere between 92" and 118" 16:9 diagonal

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I am looking at getting a pj. My problem is ceiling height. It is only 7ft. And I want to put a platform to raise the seating. My solution might be to put the unit of a stand in front of the seats. But, that is not thrilling me. Any suggestions?

13. DanielKellmii

Todd, I don't mean to be a jerk, but start another thread. Otherwise, it will just get confusing. It's a good question and deserves it.

14. Eric Hahn

Eric Hahn Agent

I do not know your room, but can you mount a z2 on a shelf to the side of the room and use the lens shift to center the screen? maby then you can keep the size you want?

just an idea?

15. DanielKellmii

Good idea, but not possible. One side opens to the house, and the other side is a BIG window. That is where my light control issues come in.

16. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

...Umm...I don't get it; What's Funny ???

Anyway, The Z2 looks GREAT (720p), native 16x9! Its great for shelf mounting, due to the fact that the hot air blows out the side, not the back.