What's new

What is your take on Special Editions? (1 Viewer)

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
what would it take for you to buy a new special edition DVD of a movie you already own?

For me, if the one I own is already anamorphic, then I won't buy the SE. And I have really avoided buying non anamorphic dvds, and only have like 3 of em (not counting 4X3 OAR stuff of course).

What would it take for you guys? A new commentary? Making of video? Or just a better transfer?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd buy an SE if it's considerably better than the original.

For example, I have the original Amadeus DVD and I think the transfer is actually pretty good....but the transfer could use a re-do since technology is better now. I'd also like the extras that will be on the 2-disc SE. (Perhaps DTS, as well?)

I probably won't buy an SE of a film such as Lawrence of Arabia unless Columbia was able to digitally "fix" some inheired flaws due to the sorry shape the film was in before restoration (Slight color flucuations, some speckling...but superb detail and overal image quality.).

I'd also like to see that 65mm trailer that Columbia omitted...but I did pay 29 bucks for the current DVD.

But all companies need to be working on new releases before doing SE's of DVD's that really don't have that bad quality. That's nice that Artisian is releasing an SE of It's A Wonderful Life, but they're also sitting on releases of the classic Betty Boop and other Max Fleischer cartoons.

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
I'm part of the "just give me a beeeeautiful pristine anamorphic print, with a snazzy sound mix, and i'm there.."

school of thought.

whatever extra is there is just simply an extra.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I usually only re-purchase something if the transfer is better, or maybe if there's a different cut of the film.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
If a substantially better version of a movie I already own comes out on DVD, then I'm upgrading it. Simple as that.

I guess the only one I didn't upgrade was the Patch Adams UE, because I felt that the CE had plenty of extras, and it wasn't worth the money. But if I like a movie enough to buy it, then I'll sell the original disc and use that money to get the new version.

Joel C

Screenwriter
It depends on two things: how much I like the movie and what the extras are. I didn't upgrade My Best Friend's Wedding because the features were fluff. But I plan to upgrade Groundhog Day eventually, since I'd like to see the documentary, and I like the movie.

I replaced Almost Famous, even though I had only watched it twice, because the new version included both cuts. I sold Monty Python and the Holy Grail intending to replace it, but then I almost didn't because I have seen it so many times I never watch it anymore (it just seems boring now).

But then I ended up getting the rerelease anyway with a gift certificate. Although now I am stuck with a nice disc of features coupled with subtitle problems, ect.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I usually go for the one with the extras. I like extras. It's part of the DVD experience for me.

Rob T

Screenwriter
if it's got a better transfer and a few more extras then I'll usually get it. sometimes I'll just get the newer version if theres just a few new extras on it. it all depends on how much I like the movie. :)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I usually avoid the problem of re-buying a movie by buying the special edition first. In the case of something, like The Usual Suspects DVD I possess, I probably won't be buying the special edition.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Dome,

The Usual Suspects is probably one of the worst examples that you could have chosen. It fits all of the possible criteria for upgrading.

The first disc released by Polygram was released early to mid 1997. It has a non-anamorphic transfer, 2.0 DD sound, but does have director/writer commentary.

The new disc has a new anamorphic transfer, 5.1 sound, the original commentary and a wealth of new features. All for under $17 online.

If this new disc doesn't scream upgrade, I don't know what does. I put this in the same boat as Goodfellas, fantastic movie that I can't wait for the new release.

-Chad

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I'll rebuy the SE if: 1) It's a movie I really like. 2) I'm not fully satisfied with the current version.

Examples: I will rebuy a Starship troopers SE. I really like the movie, and I'm not fully satisfied with the current DVD.

I will not rebuy Alien, as I'm very satisfied with the current DVD. etc.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The new edition must offer a better transfer, different cut of the film, or substantial audio improvement for me to consider an upgrade. More supplemental material alone is not enough reason for me to repurchase.

For example, I repurchased such titles as The Usual Suspects (pre-ordered), Monty Python and The Holy Grail, 2001: A Space Odyssey and Tombstone. I did not upgrade The Mask Of Zorro -- the audio and video quality of the original were fine, IMO.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Supplements won't entice me to repurchase a film unless it's one of those rare movies I'm extremely passionate about. An improved transfer (particularly if the original release wasn't enhanced for 16x9 televisions) or an alternate version of the film will do the trick, though.

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
There are alot of reasons stated above that I agree with (better transfer, newer cut, etc.) that I would consider before a repurchase. Then there are some DVD's begging to be remade simply because the technology sucked when those specific titles were released. For instance, any movie that is a flipper disc should be remade sight unseen (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, A Time to Kill, Amadeus). A movie like Titanic deserves SE more than any other disc out there.

I didn't buy the re-issue of The Sixth Sense simply because the original had no flaws. On the other hand, Tombstone was a worthy repurchase because the firs disc was terrible. And it all comes down to $$ too.

John

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
There are various SE Rereleases I intend to buy:

Iron Giant: ANY SE content will convince me to get this one. I love this film. So long as it's OAR.

Interview with the Vampire: I loved the book and liked the film. The video, audio, and special features were all updated. Worth retiring a $10 for a $15 one.

Sixth Sense: DTS! DTS! DTS! I haven't bought it yet because I'm not compelled, but I -do- want to have this film in DTS.

Memento: Excellent film. I bought the first disc because I couldn't wait to own it, but an SE disc is definitely of interest to me.

Traffic: Ditto

It really depends on how a film's special edition is marketted. Sometimes when I know an SE is coming, I will not buy the first edition... Tarzan or Dogma. Other times I don't want to wait, but intend to replace later... Traffic or Memento. I definitely prefer an announcement of an SE before street date on a bare bones edition.

I won't buy an SE if I feel like the studio could have/should have/didn't for the sake of rerelease - on the first release. I have never picked up The Mummy Ultimate Edition... even though commentaries are my favorite features.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Since I own very few DVDs (few films have enough repeat value for me to merit owning them), I'm a total sucker for software upgrades. I do the same with CDs. If there's a better version out there, I want it.

Speaking of movies that need Special Editions- Martin Scorsese films. What is the deal with those? I have Taxi Driver, and it's pretty good, but Goodfellas, Raging Bull- where are they? Am I insane, or these films not some of the greatest in cinema history? If anything deserves the best treatment, it's them.

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
I'll upgrade a DVD after I purchase all the other DVDs I want to own. I have too many VHS tapes that need to be upgraded to DVDs to worry about the DVDs that I already have.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The biggest factors are:

- how much I like the movie (determines how appealing having the best release of it is)

- quality of original presantation of older release vs. the new release

- Supplements older release vs. the new release

If the cost to upgrade (new edition price - expected ebay sale price of older edition) is worth factors mentioned above, then it is a rebuy.

Titles I have upgraded and reasons:

The Fugitive - 45% Love the movie, 40% supplements, 15% presantation - Upgrade cost: Low

The Princess Bride - 60% Love the movie, 20% supplements, 20% presantation - Upgrade cost: Low

The Rock - 80% presantation quality, %20 supplements - Upgrade cost: High

Terminator 2 - 75% supplements, 25% love the movie - Upgrade cost: Medium

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Same as what you guys are saying, for me--better transfer, and, if it's a film of major importance to me, I definitely get the SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks