What's new

What is your opinion on the Samsung DLP projection TV's? (1 Viewer)

Mark Oliver

Auditioning
I currently own a a Toshiba HD widescreen 40 inch Rear projection TV. It is about 4 years old and I would like to replace it with something bigger.

I have been looking at DLP tv's. To be exact the Samsung HLN-5060

What is the opinion on this tv?

The thing I am most concerned with is picture clarity. Will it look as good or better then a rear projection TV? What is the general consensus with DLP TV's anyway? Will it have the pixelated Plamza/CRT look?

Is there another model for the same price that you would recommend?
RCA is using first gen chips in their systems when Samsung is at 3rd generation DLP chips? Is that the current?

Thanks for your help!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The few Samsung DLP sets (second generation chips) looked great on DVD or high def and only ok on regular ota or cable. As a side note they take about 30 seconds to "warm up" after you turn them on.

GregHC

Agent
I've been looking into the DLP technology myself. I would stay away from RCA, until the new model comes out. It doesn't allow for 720p inputs.

Samsung has 2 now models coming out (in the next few months), both with newer chipsets. Their Tantus, and Pedestal models will have the better of the 2 chips. Their table tops will have the other chip. Both will have the same resolution, The difference will be contrast?? The upper end will be 3000:1 the other will be 1500:1. The current chip is 1000:1. Also the upper end chip may have a 7 segment wheel instead of the current 6.

One thing if you decide to stick with 2003 model. Try to get one with a 1 after the model number. This is the updated model. The difference between the 1 and non 1 models are. All 3 component in's have full HD capability, and you get the newer remote.

Dave>h

Second Unit
I recently purchased the 61" and I am very happy with the purchase.

My only negative comments would be that the green, is very green and can be a bit distracting. However, i suspect you get used to it over time. Also, it may tame down over time as the lightbulb gets worked in - if that is physically possible...

I find the plastic creaked quite a bit, I am guessing this is from heat expansion.

Other than that, I love the TV. For the size/price/livablility aspect, I found the DLP's to be the better option over LCD and plasma.

Regards,

Dave

Peter-P

Auditioning
I've been looking into this as well, and DLP was the direction in which I was trending, until a friend of mine essentially spat on DLP in favor of plasma technology. I haven't done a lot of research on plasma, but what are thoughts on it vs. DLP in terms of all of the different media? I'm also curious about the quality of both DLP and plasma when it comes to gaming. I have an Xbox, and would be using it on the new TV.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
I've had mine for almost a year. Here are some things that sorta/kinda bug me about it:

1. I wouldn't call it pixelization, but there often seems to be a sub-pixel 'sandiness'. The obviousness of it varies, as does the situations where I see it (brights vs. darks). It's only apparent with DVDs, though, not HDTV. HDTV is just freakin' amazing on this TV.

2. Blacks aren't that great.

By and large, though, I am very happy with my TV. The pros far outweigh the cons listed above.

1. Relatively thin and doesn't weigh that much.

2. Great for Xbox.

3. Bump out on top of tv for holding center channel speaker.

4. Looks great (not the pq, but the tv itself).

5. Wide viewing angle.

6. A lot brighter than I thought it would be.

For the $ I wouldn't change my decision to get this TV. If I'd had a lot more money, though, I think I would have gone for the Pioneer Elite (which, I think, was nearly twice as much).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks