What is Your New Year's Audio Resolution?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,
    I saw a similar posting on Audio Asylum and thought it would be cool to do here with our members....
    My audio resolutions are to:
    1. Save more money for upcoming hi-rez releases.
    2. Spend more time discussing music and not the format wars.
    3. Upgrade my Maggies to model 3.6 for improved sound.
    What are your audio resolutions?
    Thanks for your comments...[​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, great topic. I would like to focus more of my music expenditures on the high-resolution formats. An increased release rate of quality software will help me out. I tend to put off purchases of SACDs and DVD-Audio discs because there are a myriad of CDs I always want to buy. The CDs are always easier to track down than the SACDs and DVD-Audio discs (I prefer buying music through brick-and-mortar stores), which contributes to my putting off high-resolution purchases. Finally, I get more use out of CDs (car and office), so I tend to buy CDs over SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Although there will always be piles of CDs I want, I would like to pick up the pace with SACD and DVD-Audio since they sound better than CDs.

On the hardware side, I have no major plans. I just ordered new speaker cables for my main system the other day (MIT Terminator 2). One possibility is that I will get an inexpensive DVD-Audio player for my second stereo system. If we see an increased release rate of quality titles on DVD-Audio, I may do that.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

My resolution is to spend nothing on audio/video hardware. The only possible exceptions are a rear center speaker for my HT setup and perhaps a universal remote. Other than that, $0 expenditure.

4. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

'Triamp' my Maggie 3.6's: This means purchasing tubes for the highs (looking at Cary V-12's), Marchand adjustable crossover, using existing Bryston 7B-ST's for the lows coupled with a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq's. Anyone got $10k to spare?

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

When I upgrade my DVD-V player this year, I will upgrade to something that is DVD-A compatable. Then I am going to (without bias), purchase a few DVD-A titles and do my own A/B comparison between the formats and make up my own mind.

I also resolve to listen to each purchase for a longer time than I presently do. I have a tendency to listen to a disk for a week, decide if I like it or not, then move on to the next hot release. This year, I am going to REALLY give each disk a complete listening. I have found recently that I often pick up on things I missed the first couple times around if I listen to each new purchase 7-10 times completely through before moving on.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I made this resolution a couple of months ago, but I guess it's close enough:

I resolve to try to find something I like in each music genre.

I've always hated punk, country, and techno, as well as "cool" (white) jazz and other things. However, I stepped back and realised that a lot of music I listen to is influenced by country, such as The Dixie Dregs and, of course, blues and country are actually related, as well as early rock 'n' roll. Punk is a primary influence on thrash metal. Techno is the hardest one for me, though.

However, I've been good: I picked up a Johny Cash CD and I really enjoy it- definitely want more. On the punk side, I'm easing into it with London Calling. The closest I've come to "techno" so far is Mezzanine by Massive Attack.

Slow progress, but up until recently I couldn't even have imagined myself getting these albums.

7. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Once I get some reasonable information, I plan on upgrading my DVD player to one that plays SACDs ( Sony, Phillips, Onkyo, Pioneer ??? ). Then I can play the SACD layer of all of those hybrids I've been collecting for the last six months.
    I'm getting closer.[​IMG]

8. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I just finished all the current equipment upgrades so spend all my extra money building up my SACD and DVDA collection. Also to experience as many different artists and types of music that I possibly can.

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    On the hardware side, I am just waiting for my modified XA-777ES (hopefully around a week and a half). My friend bought a Marantz 8260 and he is selling some old speaker wire of mine to his neighbor and I have his old Micromega DuoPro DAC I just hooked-up to my Proceed PMDT transport and I have to say that on hybrids the combo in many (but not all ways) sounds better on the CD layer than either the Marantz 8300 (which was a bit better than my Pioneer, especially on SACD and more refined in all areas) SACDs or my Pioneer Elite DV-47A so I am done for a while and hopefully around this time next year I'll have finished the basement and combine what I have leftover with some new electronics that will be out next year. If more DVD-A software does come out then of course I can think about an upgrade in that area as well.

On the software side, I am waiting for new releases from either Hi-rez format. I am especially waiting for news from CES. I went to the Home Entertainment Expo in NY last year and this year it is in San Francisco (June 5 thru June 8 at the Westin St.Francis Hotel) and I tentatively plan to attend that.

And last but not least, I retired at the beginning of 2002 and have been doing stuff around the house and will spend some time in 2003 continuing on those projects as well as thinking about a career in the music/audio field. Something that will be fun for sure. Any helpful suggestions are of course always appreciated.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

11. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

A good line conditioner. A 6th speaker for the back surround. A subwoofer upgrade. A 5.1 set up for my new pc I bought in August (I'll be looking into the Mirage omnisats for this).
    And, of course, REM Out Of Time on DVD Audio [​IMG]
    (sshhh its going to be released this year :crosses fingers: )

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Lee, I am looking into the Pioneer DVD-47A just for that very reason![​IMG]

14. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

This is indeed a great subject.

I will throw my hat into the ring of buying new SACDs and maybe the occasional DVD-A. In fact I just got back from Tower Records with 4 new SACDs. Two CCR, the new Tierney Sutton and the Buddy Rich SACD.

Equipment wise I'd like to upgrade my Martin Logan Requests to the Odysseys and add an ICBM to the mix. And put my HT in my basement which is unfinished so lots of work for me to do that.

And new wires for the ICBM.

But I might just join Phillip in the spend $0 section for hardware and build my basement HT. I figure that would be a sonic upgrade if I did it right.

Still.......

15. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

16. Leo

Leo Second Unit

Hardware wise, just add an ICBM to the Pioneer DV-45A and buy SACD's. Love my jazz classics. Keep'em coming.