what is your least favorite manufacturer ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleR, Feb 2, 2002.

1. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

i'm not trying to start a flame war here but i'm not naive. please try to keep comments reasonable and perhaps support your opinions with reasons, even if they are purely personal or subjective ones. i'll start:

technics - i don't know what it is about their stuff but i've never liked it. i even bought one of their cassette decks about 15 yrs ago and it still works like a champ. but when it came to buying a low budget receiver this year i didn't even consider a technics. don't know why...

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Samsung.

My first VCR died from being posessed by a demon. It kept spitting out tapes and sucking them back in before I could take it out.

3. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

4. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I can see this becoming a Bose whipping post-and good reason for it. They put out an "average" product and sell it at elite prices.

Bruce

5. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Well, since you didn't limit me to electronics.... I'll go with R.J.Reynolds

6. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Other than Bose...
    I am going to second Samsung hands down. They make their products with the cheapest parts imaginable. I also had a VCR once upon a time that crapped out. My friend had a camera made by them that quick working. My old store had cash registers that were either wholly or partly made by Samsung which were constantly a problem.

7. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

I have actually had poor luck with Sony and JVC... I guess it is just poor luck [​IMG]

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Nuance. I hate their marketing tactics. They use cheap drivers, boxes and build quality and always use the same quadraphonic demos.

9. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Bose. Bose. Bose. For all the reasons stated above. Also, Bose is really a silly name. Bose?! It sounds like a disease or something, IMO. [​IMG]
    A friend of a friend of mine dropped $4,000.00 on a Bose system!!! My jaw literally sunk to the floor when my friend told me that. Wait until he hears my system that will cost a little over half the price. [​IMG]

10. Dave Reichert

Dave Reichert Stunt Coordinator

The thing I love about Bose is everybody thinks its named after a town in Idaho. I swear half of my customers that want Bose stuff call it Boise.

As for least fav manufacturer, Samsung is definately up there. Not really impressed with anything they've done, ESPECIALLY their 54" HD (can't remember the model) that retails for $2,000, P.O.S.! The picture looks horrendous on it.

11. Todd Gaines

Todd Gaines Extra

Samsung all the way. I am convinced Samsung is Korean for "piece of crap." I bought a 20" Samsung stereo tv a couple of years ago for my bedroom. I exchanged it the next day because there was a very noticeable vertical line down the left side of the picture. The replacement was no better, and it made a horrible buzzing noise. I returned it for a cash refund.

Later, I bought some of their CD-R's once because they were dirt cheap after a rebate. However, when I opened the package, half of the discs were cracked in the middle and unusable. To add insult to injury, a couple of months later, Samsung sent me a postcard saying they could not give me the $6 rebate I had sent away for.

My advice to anyone is STAY AWAY FROM SAMSUNG at all costs. They have terrible quality control and their stuff is cheap for a reason. I will never buy another product from this company.

12. Gregory

Gregory Extra

Two words, or is it one?
    SounDesign!
    I dare anyone to find worse. [​IMG]

13. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

14. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I agree with both Bose and Samsung. Samsung is just plain crap. Bose stuff isnt very good, and WAY overpriced! You can get BETTER sounding speakers for about HALF the price!

15. PaulG

PaulG Stunt Coordinator

Sony, because of their documentation, I won't buy any of their audio products again.

16. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

In the high-end, I would say Krell. In my opinion, everything they sell other than power amps is underengineered and overpriced.

17. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

One of my sales guys has two FPB 600s with Egglestonworks Andra's.

Lot's of money but wow .. they sound great.

18. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Sharp- I had a VCR so loud that when it rewound it sounding like an airplane was taking off.

19. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

For appliances: GE....

Reason: I worked as a quality engineer for a company who hired 2 top production managers from GE.... thay had absolutely no idea what quality was and would even go in on their off hours and remove reject tags from products just to raise production numbers. The result was major failures in the field....

For electronics.... Sony.... I've owned electornics of most cheap and mid priced brands over the last 30 years and only had one item fail time and time again... my Sony camcorder..... They'd repairrepairrepair just to fail again. I will never buy a Sony product again although I am well aware that I just got a lemon.