What's new

What is your final format ? (1 Viewer)

What is your final supported format? Have you reached your good enough? If so what format was it?

• Total voters

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For myself, when I moved from VHS to DVD all I had to purchases was a DVD player. When blu-ray came out I already had HD display technology, so it just required a blu-ray player. In this case, I need a new player and display device. I think the question is whether someone is sold on the benefits of the new technology to upgrade early vs. waiting until it is a necessity. In past scenario's, I wanted to upgrade early and the cost to do so was acceptable. For me, this is not the case, this time around. My guess is that many of those holding back are doing so because the improvement doesn't warrant the financial commitment of upgrading early, so they are staying pat for now, but may revisit when their situation changes.

In my case, I needed a new display, as my 8 year old Samsung DLP set had developed a dead pixel issue, and I did not want to put money into repairing old technology. It also didn't make sense to buy another 1080p set instead of a 4K one at this point. I still needed to add a UHD player and upgrade my receiver (my Pioneer Elite AVR was quite old and couldn't handle 4K), so there was still some extra investment to make. But the major expense -- the display -- was going to happen anyway.

If my display had not developed issues, I probably would not have gotten into the UHD format over a year ago. I would imagine my story will get repeated here a lot -- upgrades will happen as equipment needs to be replaced.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If I was collecting music in the 78 era and had all but one Beethoven symphony in that format, when LPs came out, I would still buy the last one on 78.

The same is true with my Blu ray and DVD collection. I want everything to match. The Thor movies are in 3D? Then I order the last one in 3D from Britain. I am not about to have movies of the same series I multiple formats. Unless I can buy every movie in the series at once very inexpensively (as I was able to do one Black Friday with James Bond Blu rays), I am not interested.

What this means is, if I purchased a 4K player, I would still buy many Blu rays for multiple series I still am keeping up with. 4Ks would be reserved for completely stand alone released unless they started a new series for me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If I was collecting music in the 78 era and had all but one Beethoven symphony in that format, when LPs came out, I would still buy the last one on 78.

The same is true with my Blu ray and DVD collection. I want everything to match. The Thor movies are in 3D? Then I order the last one in 3D from Britain. I am not about to have movies of the same series I multiple formats. Unless I can buy every movie in the series at once very inexpensively (as I was able to do one Black Friday with James Bond Blu rays), I am not interested.

What this means is, if I purchased a 4K player, I would still buy many Blu rays for multiple series I still am keeping up with. 4Ks would be reserved for completely stand alone released unless they started a new series for me.
Having mixed formats for a series does not bother me one bit. I own the first three Bourne films on BD, but have the most recent one on UHD - - I don't own the fourth one without Matt Damon. I own the first Beverly Hills Cop on BD, but never bothered upgrading the 2nd one from DVD (and don't own the 3rd one).

I collect films, not formats.

Last edited:

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm more in a purge mode... i used to wanna keep stuff.. but i honestly haven't rewatched anything much in the last few years... due to lack of time. so now i'm trying to get rid of most of my collection :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Having mixed formats for a series does not bother me one bit. I own the first three Bourne films on BD, but have the most recent one on UHD - - I don't own the fourth one without Matt Damon. I own the first Beverly Hills Cop on BD, but never bothered upgrading the 2nd one from DVD (and don't own the 3rd one).

I collect films, not formats.

That would drive me insane (if I’m not there already!). All you have to do is put “volume 1” on something and I would kill or scour the world to get the rest! The thought of having the first two movies in a series skipping number 3 and having the next two fills me with horror!:eek:

I am exaggerating of course, but I am usually very careful to not start buying something since I know I will have to buy a complete set. I have every CD by certain artists for instance because I bought their first one. For a long time when CDs first came out, I continued to buy both the LP and CD version of these artist’s albums to keep my collection consistent. It was only when I was able to upgrade everything to CD that I stopped.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That would drive me insane (if I’m not there already!). All you have to do is put “volume 1” on something and I would kill or scour the world to get the rest! The thought of having the first two movies in a series skipping number 3 and having the next two fills me with horror!:eek:

I am exaggerating of course, but I am usually very careful to not start buying something since I know I will have to buy a complete set. I have every CD by certain artists for instance because I bought their first one. For a long time when CDs first came out, I continued to buy both the LP and CD version of these artist’s albums to keep my collection consistent. It was only when I was able to upgrade everything to CD that I stopped.
We are definitely polar opposites regarding this. I only want films (and music) on my shelves that I enjoy watching (or listening to). If I make a blind purchase and end up not caring for a movie, I sell it. I have no problems with not having all the films in a series if I really dislike some of them. Same with TV series.-- I only own the first two seasons of Star Trek TOS, the first six seasons of the X-Files, etc.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We are definitely polar opposites regarding this. I only want films (and music) on my shelves that I enjoy watching (or listening to). If I a blind purchase and end up not caring for a movie, I sell it. I have no problems with not having all the films in a series if I really dislike some of them. Same with TV series.-- I only own the first two seasons of Star Trek TOS, the first six seasons of the X-Files, etc.

:eek::eek::eek: :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have purchased a number of movies over and over again. I have upgraded laser discs to dvd for 5.1 Dolby Digital in the early days then stuck with mostly DTS releases. But I still had instances where I replaced Dolby Digital dvd's with DTS versions. Then DVD to HD-DVD's/Blu-ray's and some of the movies I have gotten around to replacing with blu-ray's and some have gotten around to upgrading to 4K blu-ray. So now I am upgrading many movies to 4K blu-ray the last supported format that is more than good enough for me!

We all have our purchasing habits and the personal motivations that drive our purchasing decisions.

I totally agree with you Robert. Any of us can make the argument for 4K blu-ray but let's be honest many of us that have been in this hobby for a few decades have spent a lot of money buying and re buying movies. And you can not blame some for being happy and satisfied with the current version of disc they have. Maybe someone is tired of buying a movie over and over or maybe they are happy with the version they have. I for one can totally respect that and at the end of the day each one of us are the ones buying our equipment and content weather it be on physical format or digital streaming/downloads or a combination. After 4K discs I am not saying I will not rent movies but I do not see myself buying digital content. There are some movies that 1080p blu-ray will be the final purchase especially if it is something I am not going to watch much and I am sure that is a good argument for buying it on sale as digital but still not interested in something I can not pick up and something that is stuck in Dolby Digital 5.1. Others going 4K blu-ray because hopefully the goal is to have a 4K projector someday, that is the dream. So enjoy what you have because there are people that do not even have what you have. Which makes me appreciate what I have even more!

IMG_9951a.jpg

IMG_0301a.jpg

IMG_9557aa.jpg

IMG_8644a.jpg

And believe me if the original theatrical Star Wars 1977 ever hits 4K blu-ray I am buying at least 2 copies maybe 3! One main copy that gets played, a back up in case the disc becomes unplayable and one that will stay sealed!

Last edited:

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I usually still keep the DVD or DVD-R version of any movie I replace with a blu ray. I used to take it to a second hand disc store, but now only get about 50 cents for commercially made DVDs. I usually put the DVD in a disc envelope, store it in the Blu ray case with the new one and recycle the case.

Atari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Edward
For now I'm content with 1080P/3D. I do own a couple of 4k disks that I have nothing to play them on currently. If a reasonably priced 4k projector came out that also did good blu ray 3D too, I'd probably upgrade. I doubt I'd go back and replace movies I currently own. I've bought some of them 4 or 5 times already. (VHS, Wide Screen VHS, DVD, Anamorphic DVD, Blu ray)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
That’s the main stumbling block to upgrading for me. I had planned to have a new system by now. Lack of 3D has stopped me dead in my tracks.
I hadn't ruled out eventually getting a 3-D Flat-screen until TV manufacturers suddenly began dumping that feature last year, which means any few remaining models will never be even remotely affordable in our household. We simply can't spare thousands of dollars for a TV, sad to say!

CHEERS! :)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
For now I'm content with 1080P/3D. I do own a couple of 4k disks that I have nothing to play them on currently. If a reasonably priced 4k projector came out that also did good blu ray 3D too, I'd probably upgrade. I doubt I'd go back and replace movies I currently own. I've bought some of them 4 or 5 times already. (VHS, Wide Screen VHS, DVD, Anamorphic DVD, Blu ray)

My issue is the projector cost as well. My first projector, back in 2004, costs around $7000 and only lasted 5 years. For me, that is too much and too short a time span for a projector. My current projector (1080p) costs $2500 back around 2009 and is still doing fine. My price point going forward is to not go over $2500 for a projector. If when this one dies a 4K/UHD model is available for that amount (preferable Sony), I'll upgrade. If not, I'll happily get another 1080p and wait (hopefully) another 8 to 10 years.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My issue is the projector cost as well. My first projector, back in 2004, costs around $7000 and only lasted 5 years. For me, that is too much and too short a time span for a projector. My current projector (1080p) costs $2500 back around 2009 and is still doing fine. My price point going forward is to not go over $2500 for a projector. If when this one dies a 4K/UHD model is available for that amount (preferable Sony), I'll upgrade. If not, I'll happily get another 1080p and wait (hopefully) another 8 to 10 years.

There are UHD projectors that are below $2500.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I usually still keep the DVD or DVD-R version of any movie I replace with a blu ray. I used to take it to a second hand disc store, but now only get about 50 cents for commercially made DVDs. I usually put the DVD in a disc envelope, store it in the Blu ray case with the new one and recycle the case.
While I like that solution I don't think I could do it... I'd dislike the DVD in an envelope and would want a new BR case to allow it to be on a spindle. Or I'd have to purchase those stick on spindle things for the existing case. Even then I don't know if I could dispose of the original case and its artwork. In spite of that it *is* something to consider as I've completely run out of storage space.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Actually I quickly take out the DVD artwork and rip it up before I get too sentimental. The hardest job is disposing of snap cases. I do often keep particularly nice DVD box sets. In those cases I sometimes buy the bare bones blu-ray and put that in an envelope in the DVD boxed set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks