What's new

What is your favourite (Top 3 even)Pink Floyd CD and why (not a poll) (1 Viewer)

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Tyler O,
Here something for you to do. Make a mix CD with these tracks on it: (I did not make this mix myself, but it was posted in a previous Pink Floyd thread)
1. Wish You Were Here
2. One of These Days
3. Time
4. High Hopes
5. Dogs
6. Learning to Fly
7. Hey You
8. Comfortably Numb
9. Money
10. Sorrow
Listen starting at Track 2 (One of these Days) at the Chapter stop just past the title "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite". Its starts with a shot of the planets aligning with the monolith and the bass begins just as the stars start shooting by. Its incredible. Watch all the way to the end of the film which ends 3/4 of the way through "High Hopes". This gives you the coolest feeling in the world. The way the visuals match the music and the lyrics match what's going is amazing.
I actually like "Division Bell" a lot more that AMLOR. Mainly because of "High Hopes" but there is some good stuff on the disk. "Marooned" (instrumental) is pretty good, and the lyrics on "Coming Back to Life" are great too. And I think High Hopes was a great way to end their last album.
Here is the new tally of favourite albums updated with all the votes since the last one:
1. Wish You Were Here (6 votes)
2. Animals and The Wall (5 votes)
3. Dark Side of the Moon (4 votes)
4. Ummagumma (3 votes)
5. Meddle (2 votes)
6. A Saucer Full of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother, More, Live in Pompeii (1 vote)
Seb
------------------
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

[Edited last by Sebastian_M on August 15, 2001 at 11:55 AM]

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
(I did not make this mix myself, but it was posted in a previous Pink Floyd thread)
I posted that list. That's my "road mix", permanently occupying disc slot #1 in my car CD changer. The first four tracks present perfect opportunities to crossfade them together for a Floyd-like seamless album side.
I promise you I was not watching 2001 when I put that mix together. I guess I'll have to check that out for myself.

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,
It is a fantastic mix. Its funny how things like that will work out. Try it out though, its great.
Seb

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
1. Wish You Were Here
2. Animals
3. The Wall
I have to say that after I discovered Pink Floyd, it changed the way I experience music. The releases above just seem to draw me into the music. It's almost a feeling of euphoria when I sit down and listen to Wish You Were Here. I also really like Meddle, and Dark Side of the Moon is up there as well. The More Soundtrack has some nice sounds to it as well.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I purchased the remasters of Dark Side of the Moon & Wish You Were Here this week. Sorry, but I can't pick one over the other right now as I'm in awe, re-discovering them again.
Listening to Us and Them took me back a long long way to when I had this on 8 track. It actually switched tracks in the middle of this song. Kind of brought me back to the good ol' days...

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I don't think I can catagorize them, but my absolute favorite of all PF recordings is:
THE WALL.
It's a real work of audio art. I love all the strange "background" noises and talk, and the seques from one piece to the other. Listening to The Wall is still a more visual experience for me than watching the movie.

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
What is everyone's favourite guitar solo in a Floyd song?
Mine is a tie between: "Time" and the various solos in "Dogs".
Seb
------------------
Tall ships and tall kings
Three times three
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one white tree

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm very suprised (and pleased) to see DSOTM not taking that top slot..so far!
1.) Animals...always the top Floyd pick for me...I count it among my top 10 Albums of all time. DG's brilliant, surging, wailing guitar work on this one knocks me out..no matter how many times I hear it! Nick Mason's best drumming ever! Extremely beautiful and creepy at the same time..and what bigger compliment can there be?...oh yeah, it DOES rock! :) I'm very excited about this Les Claypool work you guys are talking about!!! I don't know much about this band, but if they're doing Animals, I gotta hear it. I'm off to research further after finishing this post.
2.) Wish You Were Here....one of a handful of albums that I can pinpoint to this day exactly where I was, what time it was, what I was doing, what the weather was like, who I was with, etc, the first time I heard it..and go back to that place each time I hear it now. After an already long night of bar hopping, we had driven to a ranch house out in the middle of nowhere in West Texas to go to a friend of a friend's party at about 1:00 a.m., we partied on until around 5:00 a.m. Almost everyone was passed out by this time, and someone put on this LP. A huge thunderstorm was moving nearby, I still remember the windows being open and the curtains blowing in the fresh breeze just as the sun was rising over the hills outside the windows. To this day when I smell rain, the thought of this album always crosses my mind. Although I love this one dearly....there is something about it that saddens me deeply, and therefore I cannot rank it #1. Maybe because it has the power to forcefully and vividly take me back to the many circumstances in the past (there are many others besides the above mentioned!) when I was listening to WYWH...and I long to go back there! Weird? Yeah, I know...I'll shut up! But you did ask!
wink.gif

3.) The Wall....this one is another longtime favorite, but unlike WYWH, it never brings me down. I remember sitting in the dorm rec room in college and seeing the first few teasers for the upcoming LP...the anticipation was incredible! Took me about 6 months of constant repeated listens before I wanted to listen to anything else...take the top off, crank it up and cruise! A brilliant epic that never fails to satisfy.
Jon
------------------
Don't you wonder sometimes
'Bout sound and vision

The Thin White Duke

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks