What's new

What is your favorite 4K disc released this year? (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think I've bought more 4K discs this year than I ever have in one years time (over 30).
Hard to narrow down the best of the bunch but here are a few:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 had some great (punchy) HDR. looked great.

Fright Night looks better than it ever has on home video, and being one of my favorite horror films I'm glad to see it get the extravagant treatment.

Jurassic World Dominion had an utterly fantastic Dolby Vision grade, and the DTSX sounded better than most Atmos mixes I heard recently. I cannot wait to get the 3D version which should arrive in a couple weeks.

My favorite disc of the year is Pulp Fiction. A stellar release all the way around.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think I've bought more 4K discs this year than I ever have in one years time (over 30).
Hard to narrow down the best of the bunch but here are a few:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 had some great (punchy) HDR. looked great.

Fright Night looks better than it ever has on home video, and being one of my favorite horror films I'm glad to see it get the extravagant treatment.

Jurassic World Dominion had an utterly fantastic Dolby Vision grade, and the DTSX sounded better than most Atmos mixes I heard recently. I cannot wait to get the 3D version which should arrive in a couple weeks.

My favorite disc of the year is Pulp Fiction. A stellar release all the way around.

I would also say that Pulp Fiction is my favorite release this year

I'm really happy Paramount didn't screw the transfer up on this as some of their other recent titles

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I would also say that Pulp Fiction is my favorite release this year

I'm really happy Paramount didn't screw the transfer up on this as some of their other recent titles
Yeah it was a tough choice, but Pulp Fiction just screams cinema from that disc. It really surprised me that it looked better than most movies released in theaters this year.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I guess you didn't watch it with the original audio track? Because I hear it's full of crackles, pops etc.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I guess you didn't watch it with the original audio track? Because I hear it's full of crackles, pops etc.
I did. The pops aren't as bad as "Real Genius", basically relegated to one scene. The 5.1 is fine.

the Atmos has a minor issue too but it doesn't bug me at all.

Atmos it is my preferred choice.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Great to see Pulp getting raves across all these threads. Hopefully it’s waiting for me in my P.O. box so I can watch it this afternoon.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I did get it this morning. Looks to me the very first scene with Pumpkin and Honey Bunny has the same color timing of the previous BluRay, so I’m going to say nobody jerked around with the look. So far, it’s stunning looking.

Edit- I just watched the whole film, and I will sum up the video quality with just one word- perfection. Definitely a worthy selection for UHD of the year.

Another UHD I really thought looked nice is Bullet Train.

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The BFI's Get Carter. Although it was a toss-up between that and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Kino Lorber's 4K UHD releases are just so fantastic. Haven't had time yet to go through the Sony Pictures Classics box or Columbia Classics Collection box. Shadow of a Doubt, from the Universal Hitchcock Classics Collection Vol 2, was also a highlight. So many amazing releases - I'm quite overwhelmed, at the moment!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks