What is your dream theater?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BillyH, Jul 10, 2003.

1. BillyH

BillyH Stunt Coordinator

Believe It not, it looks like I did not win the Powerball jackpot last night! What a shame as I had pretty darn nice AV plans for some of that dough. I was thinking along the lines of a Mark Levinson number 30 pre-pro, 7 Krell mopnoblocks, and Martion Logan Prodigys all around. Then I was still in the fact finding stage about the sub, two ML Decents or maybe a big Krell or Wilson. A 12 foot Stewert screen with aspect ratio control and proably one of the yet to be released Sony front projectors with full HDTV specs. A Krell DVD player rounds it out, at least until I can get some reliable HDTV sources( Blueray anyone?). Then all sorts of assorted extra AV stuff for the connected bar and game room, proably with multiple plasma screens. So, what would you put in your system if you hit it big? Do you think either of the two winners last night will have the least inkling about decent equipment? I frequent a place called HiFi Heaven in Green Bay Wisconsin and was speaking to a salesperson about all the Packer players and the sort of equipment they pick up. To my astonishment I was told that the average player only spent a few thousand bucks on a whole system! All they cared about was that it looked good and could have enough bass to make RAP sound good(Can it?). He went on to say that for the most part, wealthy people do not buy high end stuff there, it is the everyday sort of people who drive old Pintos to be able to pick up Macintosh amps and Legacy speakers there. Nothing would please me more to see one of these recent lottery winners say at a press conference, "Boy am I gonn'a have a great home theater!" and then post it on the net for all of us to see.

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

If I won that much money, I think I'd have my own personal Imax theater [​IMG]

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

Its nice to dream, but to be honest with all the money, I still wouldn't know what to buy. What I have right know is a dream come true, because I can honestly say what I have blows away a movie theater.

Kevin

4. Rodon

Rodon Second Unit

All I know is I would have PLENTY of time to research HT!!

5. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Well let's see I have most everything I would want for 2 channel listening, so my need to buy new stuff wouldn't be too large.

I would get a Theta Dreadnaught II ($6000) in order to add more channels. I would finish out my speaker array with a JM Reynaud Gran Ecran ($2500) and some JM Reynaud Twin MKIIIs ($895/pair). Then I would purchase the Theta Carmen II DVD/CD transport ($3000). Oh and I would need a better 2 channel DAC and transport so I think I might splurge here and get the 47Labs PITracer CD transport ($20000) and the 47 Labs Progression DAC ($3000) or the EMM Labs modded Phillips SACD1000 ($2000) and the EMM Labs DAC ($8000) or the Audio Note CDT2 CD transport ($3000) and Audio Note 4.1 Signature DAC ($7000). Haven't made up my mind on that aspect yet. Oh and I would probably add another subwoofer or two or three. Perhaps stereo Audio Physic Lunas ($2000 each) and another Bag End Infrasub-18 for additional LFE output.

Then of course I would need a good video display, and I think I would wait like you for those next generation true HDTV capable front projectors, in the meantime I would hold myself over with a Panny L300.

Finally, I would tweak the hell out of everything for maximum performance.

But the biggest part of my budget would go towards building a new house with a separate structure dedicated and built to spec for just my audio/ home theater room. This would bekind of like what Winston Ma of FIM recordings did with his house and you can see pictures and read about its construction on www.Positive-Feedback.com

My Current System for Reference:
    JM Reynaud Offrandes
    Analysis Plus Oval-9 biwire
    Art Audio Concerto MKII w/ JJ/Tesla pink glass KT-88's, Tungsgram 6922's,
    and Telefunken 12AU7's
    Synergistic Research Designer's Reference PC on amp
    Tara Labs Prism 22 IC
    Granite Audio 770 Preamp w/ NOS JAN Phillips 12AX7's
    DIY 12 guage cryo treated PC on preamp
    Tara Labs Prism 22 IC to DVD player
    Cryo treated DIY IC to HT processor
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck Turntable
    Benz Micro ACE H2 MC Cartridge
    Hadcock GH242SE Tonearm w/ Incognito wiring
    Sony DVD-S7000 DVD/CD player
    Tara Labs D-2 digital coax to HT processor
    Theta Casa Nova HT processor
    Bag End Infrasub-18
    All on dedicated 20 amp circuit
    Plus various room treatments such as Argent Room Lenses

6. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

If you'd been paying attention, you'd see that our very own member, ChrisHeflen, has taken all the guess work out of it and presented y'all with the most absolute in ultament entertainment...check it out or forever be in the dark about the true meaning of the term 'Dream Theater'!

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=149342

You can thank me later [​IMG]

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Damn, for sure I would have a full HD (1920x1080) front projector with accompanying HD-DVD player plus a retractable and fully a.r. motorized smart screen, remote lighting system, 3-tiered seating section with custom recliners (with cup holders of course), Motorized curtains for the front, popcorn vending area for outside the room, ticket booth. Throw in an SVS PB2+ or two. For the preamps and speakers I would need time to think about that but with that kind of dough, I would have the time wouldn't I?

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Dammit Tim. You TOTALLY jacked my idea of the Imax! [​IMG]

If anything, because hell, if I can afford my own private imax, or maybe a cinerama... then HT is just a drop in the bucket. Then again, if i'm THAT rich.... why listen to music on a premium music system when you can easily afford to sit front and center at all the concerts you want? Although I can guarantee you, I'd still have a pair of Paradigm Titans or Atoms floating around, I have love for those speakers like no other. [​IMG] And i WOULD have a Bose system. Seriously. Probably quite a few of them. Why you ask? Simple: wouldn't it be fun to blow them up? Or maybe fling them with a trebuchet? Or use the little cubes for target practice? [​IMG]