What is your cordless phone and how do you like it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoelC, Aug 27, 2002.

1. JoelC

JoelC Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a new cordless phone and would like to also have caller id.

2. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Unless you are into high end telephony, ditch the Siemens idea and go with a Uniden TRU 2.4 GHz phone. Mine gets great range and I've never had a problem with it. The Uniden sets are always highly ranked by Consumer Reports as well. The same cannot be said for the Siemens sets.

4. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i've got a panasonic 2.4ghz that works great.

5. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I think any 2.4 ghz phone will probably do about equally. If I were in the market for an above average quality, I would probably put a lot of research into battery life for both stand-by and talk time. Unfortunatly, I dont know where these statistics can be found, so I'm really no help here.

6. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

7. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

8. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Siemens Gigaset, here. I've had mine for five years, and it's still going strong. I wouldn't recommend anything else either.

Most other phones come with proprietary form factor batteries that are usually NiCd and don't last more than a year with normal use. These batteries can be prohibitively expensive to replace when they go bad, and if your phone model is old or discontinued, a replacement battery can be more expensive than the original cost of the phone.

I say, phooey to all that. My Siemens uses AA batteries (I use Hi-Capacity NiMH AAs from RatShack), and my one and only set has lasted the whole five years I've had my phone, though my standby time has dropped from four days to three days - still an acceptable limitation.

My Siemens may have cost a little more from the outset, but if I had bought a different cordless phone, I would have ended up spending more money in the long run either to replace the batteries, or to replace the phone because I didn't want to replace the batteries.

I don't know anyone who gets five years of use out of a cordless phone, and I plan to use mine as long as it continues to function. The way things are going, that could be another ten years or more. To me, that's a bargain.

9. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

I've got a Siemens 2.4ghz phone. It came with an extra handset, and all the goodies. I picked it up at a liquidation store, and with my best friends' staff discount, this beast only cost $64 CDN (retail, it's supposed to cost $199)

It's great for the money, and since I've got both handsets and the base (which is fully functional by itself) all in my dorm room, I really don't need anything more, but if you've got the cash to get a better phone, I'd go for the better phone.

Seriously, though...are you neighbors with Tom Clancy? That guy's a pimp...

10. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

I also have a Uniden 2.4ghz with a built in digital answering machine and caller ID. My only complaint is the storage capacity for phone numbers. The model I have only holds 20 numbers which isn't very many for me. Other than that I've had really good luck with it. The battery seems to hold a charge very well(It hasn't gone dead yet), it's been dropped a couple of times on the hard floor and still works just fine.

11. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I had a 2.4GHz Panasonic and it was heavy and had interference problems. It all depends on what else you have in the house. If you have small children then you have things like wireless monitors and we even have a spread spectrum wireless camera and tv to watch the kids even in the dark.

When you have all that the 2.4GHz units tend to crap out. We also tried the 900MHz VTech's with little success. What we found worked the best was the Panasonic 900MHz models with call display. They are really light and do last a long time.

Patrick

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I bought a Cobra cordless phone that has an answering machine as part of the base back about six years ago. It's still going strong. I don't know what Cobra makes nowadays, but check out their products.

13. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

I've got a 2.4GHz Panasonic and it works great.

14. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I have two Panasonic 2.4 gh shock or splash proof(something like that) phones that have been downright indestructible. Two children under 7 is all I need to add. My first is needing a new battery after 4 years (I consider that good).

15. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I picked up the Uniden 2.4 GHz phone set earlier this week. I was intending on getting the one withouth the digital answering machine, but the only one they had had been opened and messed with. I have the second phone down in the basement with me where I work, with a headset plugged in. So far, it works great. The reception is fantastic--much better than my old 900 MHz. I haven't had a chance to check out all the features, but it suits me fine right now.

16. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Have a Panasonic 900mz with digital message storage in the base unit - works really well, but the 3 year old battery pack is running down, and have not been able to buy a replacement in 4 stores - the KIND OF EXPERIENCE THAT TURNS US OFF....

17. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

John: Again, as Brian said, that's the beauty of the Siemens. They come with standard AA rechargable batteries. When they die, you can go buy any regular old AA rechargables to replace them.

18. Rain

Rain Producer

I also have the Panasonic 2.4 GHz and am very happy with it.

My only minor quibble is that the little rubber pad on the handset began to deteriorate (melt?) after about a year and a half, so I had to remove it. No harm done though.

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor