What's new

What Is Your BEST & WORST Blind Buy TV On DVD? (1 Viewer)

Jonathan-P

Auditioning
My best would have to be Starsky and Hutch. I'd never seen an episode before, just read the good reviews. I love that show. Had to pick all the seasons up.

Hard to pick my worst. I bought Kojak S1 and Charlie's Angels S1 couple of years ago and I still haven't watched more than the first disc.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Sorry guys, i would have posted sooner, but ive been stuck watching those bouncing boobs. It took pure will power to break away....so, my best blind buys.

Band of Brothers...got it when i got a gift card, and it was on sale to boot!
Alias season 1... Best Buy had it for $20 last year. Never seen it, and i loved it. Just got season 2 last week. I hear i should stop now.
Firefly...great from the start, but got better as it went along.
Alfred Hitchcock Presents...i had seen the 80s remake, and i am a fan of Hitch, so its only sort of a blind buy.
My Name is Earl...got season 1 as a gift, and its funny. So i bought season 2 when it came out. Never watch it on TV.
Farscape...my best blind buy EVER! I got the best of collection. Loved it so much i bought season 1. The show was just starting its 4th season on Sci-Fi. I didnt watch it on cable, i got the DVDs. By the time i got to the 4th season on DVD i couldnt wait for the next volume to come out!

Worst
Buffy season 1...bored me to death! I like Joss Weadon, and Buffy is cute and spunky as hell. Just couldnt get into it.
Neon Genesis Evangelion...i love anime, and heard nothing but good about this show. Lets see, its boring, its annoying, and i wanted to smack the s**t out of everyone in it. The people on the new Galactica are more "fun" than this bunch of back stabbing perverts. I finally turned it off when our hero was masterbating over one of his fallen, and near death female companions in the hospital. I am not a prude, but i like to care about our good guys. I didnt, snuff em all i say.

Thats about it. My average is pretty good. Now i rent from NetFlix, so i dont have to worry about blind buys.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think it's worth renting the rest of the episodes. S3 is certainly the weakest season but I thought S4 and S5 were fairly decent (although they never hit the creative heights of the first two seasons). And if you're just renting, you can't hate them that much. :)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Thats what i was thinking Travis. I will rent the other seasons just to see how it plays out. I am sure it will be like The X Files, no plan, and they should of stoped before they did. But hey, i might be surprised.

(oh, and you know i love The X Files, i wasnt doggin it at all)

andytw710

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Best: Would have to be X-Files and Veronica Mars. I was to young to get into X-Files when it started. Never saw an episode until I got the first season and couldn't stop watching it. Veronica Mars was recommended by several people. I watched the first episode online and liked it, when out and bought the first two season when they hit 15 dollars in December.

Worst: And I can't really say worst yet, but Millenium. I've watched the first two episodes and I liked it, it was decent. But the plots were very confusing for me. I'll end up going through the rest and hopefully I'll like it more as I go along. I just thought Chris Carter with Terry O'Quinn acting in it that I would have fallen in love with it like I did X-Files.

JargonJohn

Auditioning
Real Name
John Petti
Best Blind Buy: Doctor Who (2005 revival) Series 1 - 3

I bought all three series at once. I had just come off of series two of Torchwood so I figured I get into the show it spun off of. Awesome show.

Worst Blind Buy: Grey's Anatomy Season 1

I saw it for cheap at HMV, so I decided to cheak it out. I'm a small fan of Sandra Oh, so I figured why not. Show's good, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't totally drawn into it like other shows I watch.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Because of my ongoing love of vintage TV I even get stuff that I never saw that much of in reruns. So my best blind buy:

Green Acres: Always passed up this show when it was on TV but there was a special deal with the MR.Ed volume so I got it. Love the show and wish they would finish it up.

Worst:

Hogan's Heroes: Another show I would always pass up on TV, thought I would give it a shot. I just can't get into it. Never got beyond the first disc. I know many people like this show so someday I will revisit it.

runner up:

The Joey Bishop show second season. I enjoy the show but the DVD presentation is lacking and the opening credits are only seen as part of the menu. Most of the shows are not restored.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
If you define "blind buy" as never having seen a single episode of the show in question, then the best for me is easily Sports Night, bought on Sorkin's reputation alone.

I had previously seen a single ep of Homicide Life On The Street on TV, but actually didn't like it, so when I bought the S1&2 boxset, while technically not a blind buy, I sort-of consider it one since my initial impression was actually negative and I bought it to see what all the critics and fans were raving about. I now actually own two sets: the individual season sets, and I double-dipped for the mega complete series set...

I guess ST: DS9 is close to a blind-buy, in that I only ever saw the pilot. But then again I was buying into the Star Trek universe, having already watched TOS and TNG, so again that's not really blind either.

I can't remember whether I'd seen a few episodes of Coupling (or indeed S1) already before I bought the discs, but the following seasons were bought blind. Great stuff, Friends pales in comparison.

With Firefly, I watched one ep on local broadcast TV, was hooked and ordered the boxset immediately, and watched the whole series well before its run here got anywhere close to completion.

As for worst? Can't really think of any since I rarely buy truly blind. "Disappointing" might be applicable to sets of old shows (70s and 80s) which are remembered fondly, but when you actually see them they're not as good as you thought you remembered.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
Best: All 5 seasons of Combat.

Worst: 39 episode collection of Bonanza by Mill Creek. The picture quality was poor and the disks tended to play on some machines while freezing on others.

actionsub

Agent
Real Name
Mike Stidham

Probably hands down, the best would have to be "Firefly". I'd only seen one episode during its network run; so I borrowed a copy during the run-up to the "Serenity" film release and I was hooked.

The worst would have to be the WWF compilations done from all the wrestling promotions whose libraries they bought out for the "24-7 On Demand" channel. They tend to be documentaries with precious little wrestling. (Of course, non-fans would say there's precious little wrestling when they DO wrestle, but that's another tale...)

Susan Nunes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Susan Nunes
I agree about Route 66. What a great, great, great show that was. And looking at it 40 years later, it is fun to look at the various parts of the country, especially those I am familiar with (Reno, southern Oregon, Utah, and Arizona) to see how different those places look now as opposed to then.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I've only seen a couple of episodes from that show. But I agree about seeing various parts of the country at different times. I think that's one of the charms (and not necessarily one I've often seen discussed regarding DVD or VHS sets) of the older shows--seeing how greatly things have changed in areas where the shows were filmed. It's actually one of the reasons I purchase some of the shows (e.g., Adam 12 and Perry Mason) I do. As time capsules, they're quite interesting. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks