What is your best experience with video games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Szott, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

This thread is inspired by the most frustrating game experiences. So what are the best games/experiences you have had playing a video game (any system)? I can think of a few:
    * Playing an old style RPG on the C64 in high school, I remember playing 'Wasteland' (precursor to Fallout series) and being elated when I found a Meson Canon, which just tears through anything. Wasteland was maybe the best serious RPG ever made (IMHO).
    * Again with the old school, first time I played Ultima III on a friend's Apple IIe in grade school, it was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my life (up to that point).
    * Playing through Halo and suddenly releasing the Flood at around midnight with all the lights off in the room. My brother-in-law was watching and freaked out too [​IMG]
    * Jet Set Radio and JSRF for the Dreamcast and Xbox. Something sublime about a game this addictive that only gives you a spray can and pair of skates as weapons.
    * Riding bikes to an arcade in the 1980s with your friends and blowing your entire allowance in quarters on Rampage, Spy Hunter, Elevator Action, Dragon's Lair, Yie Ar Kung Fu, or a dozen other great games.
    So, who wants to chime in here with their best times looking at a screen?

2. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Silent Hill 1 & 2 — No other games have gotten to me quite as much as those two. Like being in a horror movie. Brilliant!
    Hooking up an SNES to a medium-big TV and a stereo system, thinking that was the shit (hadn't heard of either home theatre or the Xbox at the time [​IMG]) and having an all-day Street Fighter II king of the hill battle.
    The first time I got killed by someone from another part of the world... I was playing NetTrek and some dude from California blew me up about 10 times. What fun!

3. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Finishing the Secret of Mana, with my friend after being up for an entire weekend playing.

Finishing Kid Icarus after being up for a marathon weekend again.

Seeing Mech Warrior 2, after installing my voodoo 1 card and knowing that pc gaming was never gonna be the same.

Playing through JK the first time and just finding myself amazed at being able to use the force and have a lightsaber battle in the SW universe.

Playing Doom2 the first time and realising I was actually scared!

Man, after 20 years of gaming, there are almost too many good moments to name.

4. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

One of my favorites was at an IIRC room waiting for the Quake demo to come out. It had about 3000 people in that chat room. As soon as the demo came out it dropped to about 200 people. As a joke, people would post links to sites and say that the demo was available there. This usually resulted in the server getting bogged down and crash.

5. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

Playing Monkey Island on the PC and realizing that games could actually be incredibly funny. (It's still sad that these games just don't sell)
    Getting 1,000,000 dollars in NES Open golf. I still love that game to this very day.
    Getting scared by the damn dogs jumping through the window in Resident Evil.
    Playing in my first Tecmo Super Bowl tournament. Even losing was fun. [​IMG]
    Playing Metroid all the way through and finding out Samus was a woman. Biggest surprise ever in a game, IMHO.
    Again... I could go on forever. There have been so many fun times playing games.

6. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

-Firing up Super Mario Bros. for the very first time
    -Beating Rampage on the NES with a friend (took hours and hours and hours of non-stop playing) and the big ending was the text "Congratulations"...damn we were pissed
    -First time firing up GLQuake with my brand new 3dfx Voodoo1 4MB video card.
    -Mortal Kombat on SNES until our fingers were in actual pain
    -Diablo 2 over the LAN with buddies

7. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Way too many to list them all...
    Some that come to mind first are:
    Clearing the Lords room in lower Guk solo and then looting a shiny metal robe the same day...damn was it cool to be a necromancer in EQ, well before they ruined the class anyway.
    Finally finishing Master Blaster, I danced around the room for quite a while after that one.
    Playing Quake after installing a Voodoo 1 Card...I couldn't believe how fucking good it looked. I keep Quake installed just so I can fire it up every once and a while to remind myself of that moment.
    The part in Resident Evil 2 where the giant gator attacks you, first time I yelled out playing a game from fright.
    Drawing a crowd in the arcade playing ghosts and goblins, I am the only one that I know of that managed to make it to the end level with only 2 bucks worth of change.
    Playing After Burner using that big cockpit that twisted and tipped, that was the coolest frigging thing at the time.
    Playing Track and field in the arcade with my friends I was the run button man equipped with a comb literally beating on the machine while a buddy would be on the jump button. The ultimate button masher game of ALL time! [​IMG]
    Dean

8. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

• Finding the secret room in Adventure on 2600.
    • ICO. Best. Game. Ever.
    • SOCOM online. Omigod. Too much fun.
    • Finally getting to "The Chase" in Pac-Man. Not a big deal now, but then it was pretty darn cool.
    • Chowing on junk food at the local arcade.

9. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Failing out of college my freshman year because I couldn't stop playing Pirates.
    Beating Final Fantasy VII after about 2 months of playing, and then wondering what I was going to do with all my free time after the elation wore off.
    Sitting down to Halo on November 15th, 2001. I woke up at 3:30 that morning and got myself down to the local Target to pick up an Xbox, took the day off of work to play, and it was love at first sight. Actually, that whole morning was like a dream.
    I'm not ashamed to admit: going to a Halloween party at my boss' house and seeing Myst for the first time (I hadn't played any PC games in several years). I went out and bought a new PC primarily to play that game, and I loved it.
    Playing NFL2K3 with my buddy for the first time over Xbox Live two nights ago. After two years of excited anticipation, we finally got our game on. It was everything we had hoped for--lag-free, flawless, smooth, and voice chat allowed me to taunt him real-time as I recovered a muffed punt deep in his territory that turned the whole game around. [​IMG]

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Jeez --
    I totally forgot about Everquest, maybe the best/worst computer experience I ever had [​IMG] Probably the single coolest moment ever when I first made a wood elf and stepped out into Fayder forest, even though I promptly wandered off and died. Worst because Everquest slowly grinds your life into pulp! I did have a 35 bard before I quit, but I was incredibly bitter.
    Other sweetspots you guys are reminding me of:
    * Counterstrike before it became a cheating mecca.
    * Bungienet's Myth online servers, that was just way too ahead of it's time and incredibly fun.
    * Playing Metal Gear Solid just to have the background to understand MGS2 before it came out, and then being shocked to discover that MGS1 was the best console game I had ever played.

11. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

12. Kris Coffin

Kris Coffin Stunt Coordinator

Most memorable moment - When Arieth dies in FF7, I actually cried. First and last time a game has made me weep.

Scariest moment - The hospital in Silent Hill 1, still gives me the creeps.

Most satisfying moments - Finishing Final Fatsy 7, 8, and 9 with everything in the game, and all charecters maxed at lvl 99.

13. Tom_J

Tom_J Agent

Getting to the 8th key in Pac Man. That took many rolls of quarters.
    JMF binges with 3 of my best buddies on the Sega Genesis. Longest one being 16 hrs.
    Yes...I'm highly addicted to certain games.
    [​IMG]
    I'm hoping to bring back some of that addiction thru XBox Live.

14. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

Here are some of mine:

Y's Book 1 & 2 for the TurboGrafx 16 CDROM. The sound in that game is still amazing to this day.

Beating Mike Tyson on the NES Punch Out.

Picking up my SNES 2 weeks before it was supposed to be released.

Picking up Street Fighter 2 on the SNES at 7am for $69. Carts were expensive!

Setting up a LAN to play "Blood" at my friends work.

Soul Calibur

15. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Ultima 4 on my old Atari 800

Still one of, if not THE best RPG ever made (IMO)

16. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Tom, Joe Montana Football does bring back some memories. One game, on my way to a 200+ to 0 blowout, I crippled 8 kickoff returners. Yeah, that was a good day...

I always loved RBI Baseball for NES. One day, I stumbled across the game at an arcade. It had different teams, which I thought was a bit suspicious. I picked the Yankees, and then found out that the teams were comprised of the all-time best players. I had DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, etc. I kicked some serious ass.

17. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

Roughly in chronological order:
    - Playing Defender for the first time while on holiday in Greece, of all places (about 1980)
    - Playing Jetpac with my Dad on the Sinclair Spectrum, on a winter's night in England (1983)
    - Beating Black Tiger in the arcades on one credit (1987)
    - Multiplayer Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga over a null-modem cable... best game ever IMHO (1991)
    - Beating my friend Ian at Battle Isle, also on the Amiga, using a daring take-the-base strategy while faking him out with a huge tank battle in the middle of the map [​IMG] (1992)
    - Realising that now I was working and could afford it, I bought a SNES with Street Fighter 2. Bliss! (1993)
    - Playing Doom over a network for the first time... I set the network up at Psygnosis purely to get this going. Watching somebody getting blown off a ledge with a shotgun blast was too funny. That weekend we played the whole game through in coop mode... I remember running away from the Cyberdemon, with the rockets he was firing at me flying over both shoulders. They hit a guy in front of me and I ran through his disintegrating body... superb (1994)
    - Seeing EQ for the first time, walking my character out of Freeport and into the wide area around the city, watching people all over the place casting spells, running trains past me, dying. Great, great game at first, but as somebody said above, it screws your life up as it takes over. I quit after a year (1999)
    - Clive Barker's Undying, one of the most atmospheric games ever (2001)
    - GTA3, probably the best all-round console game to date (2001)

18. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

19. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

The first time I ever figured out WERDNA.
    Solving the riddles without cheating in Might & Magic 1,2
    Mapping out Wizardry's M&M's, Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder. That was a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. (I still have most of the maps BTW)
    The first time my lantern went out in a dark cave. GRUE!
    Blissfully playing Ultima Underworld and wondering why everyone was going gaga over Doom. I still dont see why Doom was popular and UU wasn't[​IMG]
    The final day of the Ultima Online pre-alpha test where we had the pantless invasion. That entire test was a dream.
    Wandering around Everquest in Alpha and Beta 1 when the world was sparsely populated, buggy, teeny, and perfect!
    All of Thief, Thief 2
    All of System Shock 2

20. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

Here's mine:

Atari 2600-choplifter? and kaboom! track and field would wear out joysticks like crazy
    Arcade:Cocktail table donkey kong
    Dragon's Lair(wasted tons of quarters at 7-11)
    The Guantlet(great multiplayer)
    C-64: Castle Wolfenstein(when a german walked in a room, my heart would race!)
    IBM 386 12mhz: Joe Montana Football and Links 386

Packard Bell 486: Doom II over a 14.4 modem to a buddy's house, playing a special mod we got off our local bbs.
    Pentium 1: quake, scary and Nine inch nails music was great

Time Warp to,

Pentium 3: quake 3, half-life
    P4: Medal of Honor
    Presently getting into ps2 and buying an xbox. I'm behind on console gaming so I need to catch up on gta, gran turismo3, etc.
    Looking forward to buying an xbox to play halo, football,etc.
    I'm 31 years young!

John