What's new

What is wrong with this 4K TV display?? (1 Viewer)

Rodney Melotte

Auditioning
My FIL passed away (was a living survivor of the USS Indianapolis) and we're clearing out his apartment.

His SONY XBR-65X900A TV has vertical lines on the screen

IMG_4339.JPG

Ideas? Comments? is this fixable and how much?? It's not something easily transported but of course we will have to at some point.

Any ideas will help.

Rod Columbus SI

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Odds are if they are so noticeable that they need to be fixed, cost would be most likely outrageous and it would be better to invest that cost into a newer, more feature prone TV.

Rodney Melotte

Auditioning
So the recommendation is to toss this 2 year old 4K TV out because it will cost more then $1000 to fix. I see. Even though used they are still $3500.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Don't forget cost to ship it there an back, unless you have a good repair shop in town.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Your best bet would be to call a TV service shop and have them take a look at it. They would be more able to assess the problem and give you an idea whether the set is worth fixing. It is pretty hard to diagnose what the problem could be from a picture.

Also, you should check and see if your F-I-L had an extended warranty on the set. It may be transferable if there is one. You might be able to get it transferred even though he has passed.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looked up how these sets work. The one you have uses Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) arranged around the edges of the set which passes light through an Liquid Crystal Panel (LCD). It is possible the board controlling the switching and/or dimming of the pixels in the LCD panel has gone bad, but, like I posted above, it would be best to get a TV service person to check it out for you.

Rodney Melotte

Auditioning
It's a TV I would never buy but geez - I can have this and get it fixed or just dump it. Not sure how I can get it to Best Buy and not sure if the GEEK Squad makes house calls for TVs.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
No offense but people are trying to help you and you seem a bit adversarial. :blink:

JayFiveAlive

Auditioning
Real Name
TN
You should first reach out to Sony before reaching out to a local tech repair shop. Sony has surprisingly good customer service and you never know, they may just replace it for you.

(father in-law had similar weirdness with his TV that was 3-4 years old and Sony replaced it at no charge).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks