1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What is wrong with my Toshiba 57hx83

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Abe Rodrigue, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Abe Rodrigue

Abe Rodrigue Stunt Coordinator

I just recieved my new tv today, well my wife took delivery on it since I was at work. The delivery guys would not remove the tv from the box and let her try it out. They just lifted the sides of the box just enough for her to reach in and grab the power plug. She pluged it in and reached up inside to hit the power button and she said she heard static. The drivers would not take the box apart so she could see the screen. I tryed to call the place that I bought it from and of course are closed today. Well, I got home and figured I would take the TV out of the box and check it over. Just hooked up the coax to the ant-1 input and pluged it in. I went around front and tried to turn it on and I heard a click, what sounds like a very quiet DVD player spinning inside, a red light next to the power button, and NOTHING ON THE SCREEN!!!! It doesn't even change shades of grey, it just looks like it is off. I also have no sound what so ever. Does anyone have a clue what I did or if I missed something? Or did I take possesion of a junk TV?

HELP ME!!!!!!

2. James Buhler

James Buhler Stunt Coordinator

When testing with the ant-1 input did you set the tv input to ant?

3. Abe Rodrigue

I can't see any menu's or anything. The screen never changes from when it is off. The only reason that I know it is getting power is that the little light is on and the speakers are making a very slight whiring noise.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Bad power supply. Though Toshiba makes superb displays (with excellent color), it has, like other OEMs, skimped on the power supply in order to meet its price bracket. Swap out units immediately.

5. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Hello, Abe.

Hopefully you paid with a credit card. If so, you are protected.

All delivery guys I have dealt with will, at least, remove the set from the box. Most will offer to remove the box from the premises and dispose of it.

These delivery guys you were dealing with did none of the above. I asume they work for the outfit you bought the set from or at least were hired by them. If this is the case simply call the dealer and tell them to get you a new set.

If they refuse simply call your CC company. You do NOT have to pay for defective merchandise. In any event do not accept them sending a repair person. You are entitled to a new set if the one you bought does not work for the first time. As a matter of fact most legit vendors will replace defective merchandise at least for the first 10 days and most for the first 30 days. All of them should replace if the set does not work at all out of the box!

Best of luck to you.

6. Abe Rodrigue

Thanks Jack and John, I will do that as soon as I can get a hold of a real person from the place I bought it from. Hopefully tomorrow morning. I was more concerned that I didn't do something correctly when i hooked up the set, or maybe a simple fix that I had never heard of. I will post after I get a hold of the dealer.

Thanks again.

7. Abe Rodrigue

One other question, since this unit that I bought was a refurb, should I still demand a different unit? Or am I stuck withn this unit? I am really new to this home theater (first big screeen, trying to save a buck) stuff and I hope I wasn't taken. Any opinions would be a help, good or bad. thanks.

8. John F. Palacio

Abe Rodrigue says:

Refurbished units usually come with a lesser warranty (usually 90 days) period than brand new ones (usually a year) and I have never had a personal experience trying to get one fixed. I suppose the store can claim they don't have any other refurbished units in which case you can ask for your money back. If you are lucky you might press them for a new one if they do not have any more refurbished ones. I would not let them try to get this one fixed. This has already been refurbished so it had a problem and it now appears the problem is back or has a new one. In any event a "lemon".

New or refurbished, this set should have worked right out of the box.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

But, too, it is not wise to purchase refurbs, floor units, or any kind of open-box display. Reason being, you have no way of knowing how this set had been operated previously (it may have been seriously overdriven). So, if swapping out is not an option, either ask for your money back or to be given the option of purchasing another model (but not a refurb or open-box unit).

10. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I work at an electronics retailer. Soundtrack. I know that if we sent out a floor model tv and it didnt work right out of the box we would bring it right back and give you a brand new one or store credit... or you money back. So dont let them screw you around.

11. Abe Rodrigue

thanks for all of the input guys. I could not get a hold of anybody at refurbelectronics today-( I am guessing the holiday) so I will try tomorrow. I will post when I get in touch with them.

12. Abe Rodrigue

All right, here is the skinny, the wife called the dealer that sold it to us and they said they could do nothing. They told her they were nothing but middle men and that it was up to toshiba to fix. Wife called toshiba and now we have to wait until next week to get a tech out here to look at it. It doesn't look to good for getting a replacement TV. I hope it is unfixable then I might get a new one. Wish me luck.

13. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Q: How do you ship Televisions over 30 inches?

A: Televisions 30" and larger will be shipped using a White Glove Service that is second to none. It will be delivered by a 2 man team right into your living room, they will remove the TV from its carton and haul away the trash. We pay just a little more for this premium service just to make sure your experience of ordering on-line from RefurbElectronics.com is hassle free. There is a limit of one flight of stairs at no extra charge. Should your final location include more than one flight of stairs, for a modest extra charge, they will deliver the TV wherever you desire. Any unusual narrow hallways or tight turns which may not be navigated safely by a 2 man team may require an additional charge. This cost is a pure pass-through. RefurbElectronics.com does not mark up this cost.

Q: What if I order a TV and it arrives damaged?

A: If a TV is damaged in shipping, you will NOT be required to accept the TV and RefurbElectronics will replace that TV at no extra charge. You will be sent detailed acceptance instructions explaining how to inspect the TV for any damage when it is delivered. Once you accept your TV, if you experience any functional issues, they are fully covered by the manufacturer. Should you have any problems, RefurbElectronics will fully support you after the sale to make sure your issues are fully resolved.

Q: What if I need warranty service?

A: All of our suppliers hold to the strictest standards of quality control, and all of our products are fully warranted by the manufacturer unless stated otherwise. If by chance you receive a product which is defective, the manufacturer's warranty information and service address will be clearly marked on or in the package you receive. Within the first week from receipt of your product, should you have a problem, RefurbElectronics.com will exchange the product for you if it is available in our inventory. If you ever have questions, please contact us at [email protected]

This is from their website. Seems you didn't get the white glove service. The website does however say that functional issues are to be handled by the manufacturer. But, if the problem is within a week of delivery they will replace. They offer support, whatever that means.

14. Abe Rodrigue

actually they were very helpfut to my wife. They contacted toshiba directly for us and then sent us an E-mail copy of the fax. They "seem" to be in our corner trying to help us out. Until then though, we put a hold on the credit card payment until this gets resolved.

15. John F. Palacio

The dealer sold you a defective set.

You are out of your money and stuck with a set that does not work. The might have been polite to your wife, but have done nothing to resolve the problem.

They should take the set back and refund your money or give you another one. Anything less than that and they are not living up to their responsibility.

Do you have a sale contract? Read it and see what it says.

Good luck.

16. Abe Rodrigue

Update- repair man came friday- found a spring that had either come loose or was an extra sitting on the bottom of the set. It was laying on a circuit board and shorted out some stuff. They had to take the TV out of the house and I should hopfully have it back in about a week.