What's new

What is wrong with my speaker? (1 Viewer)

JasonWaddington

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason, when I plug my Klipsch RF-3 speaker(which I turned into a center channel) in using the top two inputs on the back, I get nothing but tweeter sounds out of the speaker. However, If I use the bottom two inputs I get nothing but the woofer sounds. If I use the black input on the bottom and the red on the top, I get nothing but woofer, and if I use red on the top and black on the bottom, you guessed it, nothing but tweeter. What the hell is going on??????

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Sounds like you need to connect the metal jumpers on the back of the speakers. If you have 2 speaker terminals on the back, the speakers can be biamped. Normally, to single amp a biampable speaker, you connect the speaker wires to the top section and there should be metal jumper that connects the 2 speaker terminal sets. You need to find that metal jumper and connect the 2 sets of speaker terminals and then connect to the top set.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"You need to find that metal jumper and connect the 2 sets of speaker terminals and then connect to the top set."

In lieu of the jumpers you can connect short pieces of speaker wire + to + and - to -.

Geno

Supporting Actor
more surface area, just as monster cables use fine threads of copper for cables/wires. the electrical signal runs on the surface of the metal. therefore, the suggested way of using wires has much more surface area than just plain metal jumpers.

"this is not my knowledge, I was told by an electrical engineer"

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Geno says:
"more surface area, just as monster cables use fine threads of copper for cables/wires. the electrical signal runs on the surface of the metal. therefore, the suggested way of using wires has much more surface area than just plain metal jumpers."

"this is not my knowledge, I was told by an electrical engineer"

Geno. First of all only very high frequencies ride on the surface of wires. Secondly when we are addressing a length of less than 2 inches it doesn't matter. Lastly when using more strands the electrical surface of the wire is the outside of the bundle. Finer strands add flexibility. Nothing else.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Unless you have compared the two, you cannot arbitrarily say that it doesn't make a difference. The difference may be very subtle, however I have also heard MANY times, that quality, stranded wire will sound superior to a solid, plated brass connector. This will obviously vary, depending on the specific gear in use.

Geno

Supporting Actor
Geno. First of all only very high frequencies ride on the surface of wires. Secondly when we are addressing a length of less than 2 inches it doesn't matter. Lastly when using more strands the electrical surface of the wire is the outside of the bundle. Finer strands add flexibility. Nothing else.
John P, I disagree with you. maybe we need to start a new thread on this subject?

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
John Garcia says: "Unless you have compared the two, you cannot arbitrarily say that it doesn't make a difference. The difference may be very subtle, however I have also heard MANY times, that quality, stranded wire will sound superior to a solid, plated brass connector. This will obviously vary, depending on the specific gear in use."

You are obviously another one of those "Voodoo electronic" proponents, with no technical or engineering background. If you did you would know better.

I don't know where you have heard this nonsense "many times"
but it if so it does not make it correct. And no valid test that I know of has proven this.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
You are obviously another one of those "Voodoo electronic" proponents, with no technical or engineering background. If you did you would know better.
I don't know where you have heard this nonsense "many times"
but it if so it does not make it correct. And no valid test that I know of has proven this.
Yeah John G., you should know better than to voice an opinion on here without valid science to back it up. Shame on you! ;););)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that an F-16 flies faster than a beechcraft baron:D , or do I.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Phil,

Until you can explain to us in a mildy scientific manner how this is possible, and how many DBT's you performed, your statement shall be taken as placebo effect. Just look at the cost. Maybe a $30 million difference? Your bias makes you want the F-16 to be faster.

Geno

Supporting Actor
all this got spun off from someone's speaker being wired wrong? cmon guys, someone close this thread

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Mark,
If what you are saying is true then if good 12 gage speaker wire is .30 cent a foot then great speaker wire should be about $9.00 a foot. Can you tell a difference?
When you say "mildly scientific manner" you might as well say "mildly intelligent". I am not so presumptuous to make such a statement. Yes perhaps it is a placebo effect. If I have fooled my own mind with .05 cent of speaker wire then so be it. I would dare say we have all tried to fool ourselves in the past for a lot more money over any number of topics.
No I'm not an electrical engineer, nor do I have the desire to be one. I simply stated what I have read time and again in this forum.
It is a highly debatable subject and I have never seen the "scientific proof" to the contrary either. Perhaps you have some scientific proof to the contrary.
Anyhooo it's only .05 cents of wire, what's the big deal?
:)
P.S. Truly not trying to start a flame war:) Just trying to understand why a person is so passionate over jumpers -vs- cables. BTW I have speakers connected both ways to try to determine a difference.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
well with a short piece of wire the electrons don't have to run around on the surface of the plate before they get to where they're going. when they see an edge it is a frightful thing for an electron and should they get pushed over the edge and then never make it back it will result in a phenomenon called lemming distortion. this may manifest itself as high frequency bursts as the electron cries out, "i'm falling and i can't get up".
well glad he solved his problem anyways :)

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
Phil,
I was joking.
I know cabling makes a difference. It was a spoof on the typical BS around here. :) As proved once again, that type of attitude only stifles opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks