What is with this SXRD TV from Sony I keep hearing about? Giant and 1080p?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Rolando, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

I guess I want to get your opinions as I have not been able to see one live. Anyone here seen one?

I read up on it a bit and well the 1080p is great but what has me curious is people saying it is better (more acurate, better color representation) than high end CRT.

That is quite the claim.

any comments?

2. John S

John S Producer

Hmm Under $10K.. I want one.. [​IMG]

Not really, I get to venture into FP like summer 2006.

I'll make do with the 60" I have now till then, I suppose.
    Sure sounds promising, for those that can't really FP yet though. Sony is already pretty out there with the LCD RPTV stuff, and now they come out with this one....

Thanks for the heads up, I had not really read or known anything of it till your post.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

You seem to be talking about the Qualia 006. This 70 inch SXRD set is $13,000. Originally it was going to be called the KDS70XBR100 and was supposed to cost $10,000. I'm sure it is a great TV but way too expensive. Yes, it does 1080P.

4. John S

John S Producer

yeah Arthur, his post got me curious so I did a search and only read one article that stated the price will be below $10K....

The Qualia 006 is FP right? This new display will be for people that just can't do FP, and seems to be a great alternative. certainly large enough to start to compete screen size wise anyways.

5. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Yeah retails for about $17K Canadian. I want to see if a retailer has one on display around here. wonder if they have any HD movies to get us primed for Blue Ray

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi John

You said, "the Qualia 006 is FP right?" I think you meant RP. And yes, it is the Rear Projection version of the $30,000 Front Projector, Qualia 004.

If I am not mistaken, the BULB of the 004 FP is $4,000 all by itself! I wonder how much a bulb for the 006 is going to be?

There is no way I would have paid even $10,000 for the 70 inch SXRD, let alone $13,000. My instincts tell me that Sony is price gouging on the 006 because there were so many people willing and able to pony up $30,000 for the 006. Over on AVS there are massive threads on the 004 and the 006.

Artie

7. John S

John S Producer

Thanks for the additional information. I'm certainly beyond week on this level of displays.

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If I read right in the thread, a few hundred. If I read right as well that the first bulb is free.

There's a pretty long thread with 06 owners over at AVS whom are discussing this set.

I would think if you have a Sony store, you should be able to find the set for sale.

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Thanks Shane

I have a Toshiba 65H84 with 5 year extended warranty. New last October. That will hold me just fine till the warranty expires. So late in the year 2009 I will likely be in the market for a new big screen.

How much do you think something like the 006 will be 4 years from now?

Artie

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Who knows. If I had to guess, maybe 5k-6k but again I'm guessing. It depends on how much 1080P sets really push the price down which also may be a result of the success of HDDVD/Blu Ray.

11. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Samsung is coming out with the World's first consumer display using TI's 1080p chip, the HLR5688W 56" DLP RPTV with an MSRP of only $4,999. Not only is the bulb expected to have a lifespan more than twice as long as the Sony Q006, but that the replacment cost will be under $400.

Performance wise you can expect the DLP to have significantly greater cotrast than Sony's SXRD, but either one should produce a very pleasing image.

If 56" is too small, I'm sure in a short while there will be larger 1080 DLP displays available very shortly.

12. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Do you know if this Samsung is a pedestal model or the regular table top style? I couldn't find any mention of it on their web site.

13. Rich H

Rich H Second Unit

The Sony Qualia 006 RPTV was the hit of the last CES show and has been heavily anticipated.

I've had a chance to put that display through it's paces and I agree with others who've seen it: it's easily the best RPTV out there and raises the bar in PQ for anything other than a great front projector. It's a fabulous, drool-inspiring display.

14. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Nils,
    I still wonder if they'll have rainbow issues with that set or not.

15. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Rich is right on the money! It looked incredible at CEDIA, and I believe it is overall the best RPTV available. There is no rainbow issues, no screen door effect even up close, and the black levels/contrast ratio looked improved over Sony's present LCD RPTV's. I'm so intrigued and infatuated with this set that I'd love to calibrate one. Any Qualia owners around VA, OH, or WV?

16. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Chad,
    You might try searching around in the AVS owners thread.

17. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

18. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Allan

The 006 uses separate red, green and blue SXRD panels. That suggests to me that there would be no rainbow effect.

19. Bob Lvl

Bob Lvl Extra

According the the Senior Vice President of Sony, Sony plans gradually move their SXRD technology through their entire line of televisions. Some one at the Sony Store told me yesterday that they have already discontinued their Plasmas.

20. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    This is just the beginning of the 1080p projectors. In a few years the latest and greatest with be 2K and 4K projectors. Then there is OLED and SCD.

I look forward to seeing what is new and available in the area of projectors in the not too distant future.