What is video up conversion?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by GeorgeLE, Oct 22, 2003.

1. GeorgeLE

GeorgeLE Auditioning

Is this video up conversion important? what exactly does it do.
    Thanks,
    George

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There are at least two possible answers to that question. One is signal type and the other is connection type. In the case of a receiver, it means the receiver is capable of taking inputs of one type (composite, s-video) and outputting it via a higher level of connection (component) (though the signal itself is unchanged). Note that many receivers that do this will only accept one type of input (all composite or s-video) when upconverting this way.

The other type has to do with an actual change in the signal from one type to another.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'm a little confused with john's response.

Upconversion take lower video inputs, composite for isntance, and converts them into, say s-video or component. This entails a signal change to fit the new connection type.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Regardless of the connection type (composite, S-vid, component), the signal is the same. Analog video is anlog video, and switching from composite to s-vid within the receiver or a switch box does not change or improve that signal. IOW, that comosite signal will not somehow become better by simply being switched to s-video. There receiver is acting as an adapter and nothing more.

S-video and component are essentially the same, except that component uses separate cables, while s-vid has each inside one cable.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

ahhh, i see what you meant!

You're right. It isn't improving the signal at all, just changing it. Your first answer seemed to indicate that it woud, for instance, take composite unchanged, and output it via s-video, (which wouldn't work), and another type that performed the conversion to s-video, or component.

But yeah, it's just changing the signal type, not doing anything to the picture (except, arguably degrading it during the change).

6. David?P

David?P Agent

ok, i know that this thread is a little old, but what i am wondering is what is the benefit of having this if all it is is like just being an adapter to make composite to plug in to component?

7. Rob Grim

Rob Grim Stunt Coordinator

Main reason, convience. If you are limited to say number of inputs on your television. Run all your component's cables, weither they be s-video, composite or component to your receiver and one cable from your receiver to your television and then allow your reciver to do the video switching for you. The one factor to keep in effect is weither your receiver converts all to component or weither it will only convert to say s-video. If it will only convert to s-video, you may have to run 2 cables, component and s-video to your television. Hope this helps.

8. David?P

David?P Agent

so lets say my tv has enough inputs for my component, s-video and composite equipment; then video up conversion would not benefit me at all will it?

9. Rob Grim

Rob Grim Stunt Coordinator

Depends on how you look at it. If your television has plenty of inputs then video conversion isn't necessary. Myself, I like the idea of not having to change the input on my television everytime I change my source. I leave my tv on the component input and just switch inputs on the receiver. Some people claim they get better results hooking video directly to the television and running the audio to the receiver but I myself didn't notice a difference.

10. David?P

David?P Agent

so there maybe a chance that if i plug it in directly to the reciever, the quality may degrade?

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Yes depending on the bandwidth capabilities of the receiver. If you have a macro driven remote, and you could run your cables direct then I think thats the best. If you don't have a macro remote then its more convienent to run it thru your reciever. Most of the Midrange($1,000) range recievers have plenty of bandwidth but you should ask if it does. I know the 2 I'm considering(Denon 3805 and Rotel 1056) have 100mhz which is more than enough.

12. David?P

David?P Agent

ok so does the 3803 have a macro driven remote?

also, do you know if the HK 630 and 430 have video up conversion. if so do those have the macro driven remote?

im torn between one of these 3 recievers

13. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

14. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

15. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

16. David?P

David?P Agent

so since the 3803 has component out, im better off connecting everthing to the reciever correct?

17. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

18. David?P

David?P Agent

i have 2 component input on my tv. i only have 1 component device which is my dvd player.

19. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

20. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Upconversion is only really useful if the number of video sources outnumbers the number of video inputs in your TV/Monitor, which is my case, and/or to save you from having to change "source" on both your TV/Monitor and your receiver if you plan on using your receiver for sound. Also useful if you have more than 1 TV/Monitor output :b .

Consider this, you own the following video output sources:

- DVD Player (component or S-video)
    - VHS Player (composite video)
    - X-Box Game Console (component or S-video)
    - PS-2 Game Console (component or S-video)
    - Digital Cable/Satelite Feed (component or S-video)
    - Video Camera (composite video)

Believe it or not, this list isn't uncommon anymore. Most TV/Monitors don't have room for 6 video sources. In fact, if you have a front projector, your lucky if you have 2-3 at most!

In my case, I have 2 video outputs (a TV for regular watching and a front projector for big screen movie watching) and having upconversion really helps in having all the sources converted to one format so that I only have 1 cable running to the projector and 1 to the TV.

JB