What's new

What is VHX format? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just received my copy of In This Corner of the World in the mail, which was released today by Shout! Factory. It's a fantastic film which I've written at length about in the movies forum and I would encourage anybody who might be interested in it to seek it out.

It says it comes with a digital download, so I was expecting a UltraViolet code as normal. Instead, I got an insert telling me to reedeem the code at the movie's website using the VHX app. It does not appear to be compatible with UV retailers, even though Vudu is selling the movie if someone wanted to purchase it from them.

Has anyone had any experience with VHX format before?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Shout! Factory is not a UltraViolet or Movies Anywhere partner, so they are using an "older" version of digital copy that is, frankly, worthless. I've tried it a few times with Flight of the Butterlfies and Adele Blanc-Sec, and in both situations it required downloading a file to a single device, and the image was of such poor quality (compression artifacts, macro-blocking, banding, etc) that I quickly deleted the file and erased the memory from my mind.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What's weird is that you can buy Shout! Factory titles on Vudu in UV format, including In This Corner of the World, which came with the VHX copy. So, given that they're already available in that format, I really don't understand their reluctance to just offer codes for that format with their Blu-rays. I also found the VHX copy not worth my redeeming it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
OK, I stand corrected. I don't really care what format it is, I just wanted a way to make the code work with my other Vudu movies so they could all be together, but it doesn't appear to be able to do that. I gave it away a couple weeks ago to someone interested in dealing with the hassle of VHX, which I'm not. We already have both UV and Movies Anywhere, plus iTunes, so trying to introduce a fourth digital copy format and have it tick seems like a fool's errand to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks