What is up with the Sci Fi Channel???...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Oct 20, 2002.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Has anyone noticed how lame Scifi channel is getting lately? Besides the fact the cancel Farscape, a show that is doing great for them. They seem to be showing less scifi shows and more movies and retreads from other channels. Do we really need 3 hour blocks of X-files and Stargate. I was watching a tv show that I taped off Scifi from a few years ago. You should have seen the shows they were airing. Amazing Stories, Seaquest, Flash, Time Trax, etc. These type of shows were a staple of the Scifi channel in the past. Why even just recently they decided to take off the old shows they aired every Sunday to have all day movie marathons. [​IMG]

2. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

It is the suits. For some arcane reason the money people behind the SciFi channel feel that we the viewing public want to see horror, dream reading (a new show upcoming), dead people talking to fakes. They feel the channel is misnamed. Should be PsiFi.

I just know it pisses me off to no end considering that channel was the main reason I got DirecTV in the first place.

Oh, it appears they are really cutting back on costs other than in house development thus the death of Farscape Chronicle, etc. and the purchase of air rights to old shows.

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I should have known they were going down the drain when they started airing John Edwards.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Lately?

I've never liked the channel. And what few programs I tuned into regularly—Inside Space and those interview programs, some with Harlan Ellison—were cancelled years ago. And I remember they used to show the old 1950s Man in Space late on Friday nights, which was a hoot.

It pisses me the channel owns the exclusive broadcast rights to The Twilight Zone (the real one).

They do need to change the name to "Psi-Fi." Let 'em have John Edward.

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

It seems Farscape was cancelled because it wasn't a Universal-Vivendi property. Unlike Tremors. Hence the forthcoming "Tremors: The Series". Sci-Fi wishes it could be the next big "franchise" like the one Paramount has.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

A couple of years ago, the channel had promise. Farscape, an original show, caught an enthusiastic audience, their Dune miniseries was huge, they seemed like they were going to be the home of the Babylon 5 franchise (including a possible new series), etc.

Now, it's all gone to hell. They are now in AMC territory- a good idea with promise that isn't worth anybody's time anymore.

7. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

It's a shame really.

Maybe their deterioration will open the door for a competing network? Maybe? ... Please?

8. andrew markworthy

They seem to find shows which are good or have promise (e.g. The Chronicle), raise your interest, and then take them away. [​IMG] Is their such a concept as a prog-tease?

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I will NEVER forgive them for the cancellation of MST3K!!!! [​IMG]

11. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

For years I wanted the Sci Fi Channel just so I could watch Battlestar Galactica, then once my local TimeWarner cable decided to give me the channel as part of the local basic lineup, no BG anymore. [​IMG]

12. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Jeff, you'll have spankin Galactica DVDs next year [​IMG]

13. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Yep. BG DVDs. Hope they're done right![​IMG]

14. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

15. Ron McBadger

Ron McBadger Stunt Coordinator

I 2nd that notion...stupid people should not be allowed to breed.
    Farscape is Sci-Fi all this other crud is not. There is only two ways that the Sci-Fi channel can win me back.
    1) bring back Farscape for two more seasons
    2) bring the Wheel of Time books to the small screen with each book being a 6 hour mini series[​IMG]

16. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

"I should have known they were going down the drain when they started airing John Edwards."

Ah,,,I think john edwards first showed up on the scifi channel, not the other way around.....He used to be on tuesdays at 1100pm......until he started to get big........

R~

17. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Jack,
    I remember those "Inside Space" segments. Actually, when I was watching another show I had taped off scifi a few years ago. It had the "Scifi Buzz" segments also. That was when Scifi channel was really Scifi channel.