What's new

What is up with The Onion?? (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Do you think they have enough pop-ups? Man, talk about ridiculous. No wonder I hardly read it anymore. :thumbsdown:

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I get one, same as any other site with popups (like imdb.com).

If you get more, I'd check you PC for spyware.

-Vince

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I use Spybot Search and Destroy.

When you go to www.theonion.com , they have that nice The Osbournes ad before you get there. Then you get redirected to the site and a pop-up. Then when you go to the infographic or the page where they ask the people a question you get a pop-up.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Leif, it sounds like you have spyware on your computer. When I click on your link I get one pop up for Netflix. No Osbournes or anything.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Same here, one pop-up and that's it. My folks' comp turned a couple of pop-ups on every other page I visited. It turned out to be spyware.

Download and run Ad-Aware if you haven't already.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Mozilla browser (www.mozilla.org), it has a setting that prevents popup windows entirely. Now whenever I use internet explorer for a few specific websites, I wonder how I ever got by without it.

Andrej

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I too get one pop-up ad when I first go there (for Expedia this time), and that's it. And that's actually a "pop-behind" one, it puts itself behind the window that "The Onion" is in.

EDIT: I tried a couple more times, and I DID get the Osbournes thing a few times. I also got a Honda pop-up sometimes. But it seemed to be randomly, most of the time I only got the one I mentioned above.

/Mike

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I get the Expedia "pop behind" MickeS mentioned. Only one ad, try using ad aware. I tried that spybot thing and it''s quite horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks