What's new

What is up with The Onion?? (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Do you think they have enough pop-ups? Man, talk about ridiculous. No wonder I hardly read it anymore. :thumbsdown:

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I get one, same as any other site with popups (like imdb.com).

If you get more, I'd check you PC for spyware.

-Vince

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I use Spybot Search and Destroy.

When you go to www.theonion.com , they have that nice The Osbournes ad before you get there. Then you get redirected to the site and a pop-up. Then when you go to the infographic or the page where they ask the people a question you get a pop-up.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Leif, it sounds like you have spyware on your computer. When I click on your link I get one pop up for Netflix. No Osbournes or anything.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Same here, one pop-up and that's it. My folks' comp turned a couple of pop-ups on every other page I visited. It turned out to be spyware.

Download and run Ad-Aware if you haven't already.

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Mozilla browser (www.mozilla.org), it has a setting that prevents popup windows entirely. Now whenever I use internet explorer for a few specific websites, I wonder how I ever got by without it.

Andrej

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I too get one pop-up ad when I first go there (for Expedia this time), and that's it. And that's actually a "pop-behind" one, it puts itself behind the window that "The Onion" is in.

EDIT: I tried a couple more times, and I DID get the Osbournes thing a few times. I also got a Honda pop-up sometimes. But it seemed to be randomly, most of the time I only got the one I mentioned above.

/Mike

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I get the Expedia "pop behind" MickeS mentioned. Only one ad, try using ad aware. I tried that spybot thing and it''s quite horrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dobrykamil