What is up with the Hallmark channel?...

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by todd s, Dec 1, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

They have the syndication rights to some great shows (Equalizer, Magnificent 7 and Quincy). Yet, air them 2-3 times a month while they air MASH 8 times a day and Matlock 2-3 times a day. While, I am not criticizing these shows. I just don't understand why they must air the same shows all day and the other shows whenever a movie runs short.

ps-Yes, I know it all must be a ratings issue.

2. PienSavaca

PienSavaca Stunt Coordinator

Just because a channel is airing a show in syndication, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have full control of the number of show airings.

I suspect the THC only bought the rights to air Hawaii Five-O once a week, or that they bought only enough episodes--i.e. 40--to cover weekly airings with out recycling too much.

As for the multiple airings each day, it's easier to retain an audience with another episode of the same show, thus a 'block' is born. With MASH, THC airs four syndication-cut episodes during the day, and then the same four episodes UNCUT in the evening (36 minutes each, odd start times).

3. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Since this is the first time since its original telecasts that MASH is being broadcast as originally seen, it's well worth it. I for one am glad that we can finally see it again the way it was originally produced. Now if Hallmark could give the viewers the option of watching the episodes uncut and without the canned laugh tracks the same way that the DVD releases do, then it'll be even more interesting.

4. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I was not aware that there where cuts being made to the show?

A couple of weeks ago when scanning through my Tivo's program guide, I saw that the Goodbye, Farewell episode was playing and that the next day, the series was starting over again with the first episode. I have been recording and watching it since [​IMG]

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

6. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer