What is up with people selling used stuff?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mark Hedges, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Alright I have to vent about something that's been bothering me for a while -

How do people determine asking prices for selling used stuff? Do these people bother looking around first? It is VERY common for people to set asking prices higher than what you can buy the item for brand new. And then they bitch because the item doesn't sell.

This happens all the time here and on audiogon. I won't even mention ebay!

Mark

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

People are free to ask what they want for their goods. If the market will bear the price, good much for them. If not, they need to adjust their strategy. What's the problem?

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I'm never out to make a profit on the DVDs I sell on eBay. For whatever reason, the bids always end up being $3-$4 more than I payed for it new. This is true even after all the 50% off pre-orders in the good-old DVD bargain days.

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

You have to realize that some people are just stupid. For example, there was a movie soundtrack CD that I wanted that was going for $50 on eBay. That just didn't sound right to me so I did some (horrors!) research and found the same CD as an import brand new for $24. Sometimes prices are set based on the naivete of the consumers. If I ever see such an item I just let it go and let some sucker pay for it (if it actully sells).

Of course, this is no worse than the other side - the morons who go to flea markets or yard sales who just HAVE to drop that $5 item to $4.50 or $1 item to 75 cents before they'll buy it! Forget that the item is 10x as much when it's brand-new anyway so the're already saving a ton of money. [​IMG]

5. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I can understand the thinking "If someone's willing to pay more than regular price for a used item, than that's their fault", but it does bother me when I see things on Amazon like:

Buy New: $24.00
    Buy Used: $25.99
    [​IMG]

I know that you'd pretty much have to be dumb to fall for something like that, but there are smart people out there falling for this kind of BS all the time. It's those people (i.e. the ones that are trying to scam others), that are on my "Looser" list. [​IMG]

EDIT: Just like this one guy. I live near a performance theater (i.e. Concerts, Plays, etc.) and I am usually getting home from work at the same time everyone is going to the concert (7pm-ish). Everytime there is a popular group there, I see the same looser out on the street selling tickets. [​IMG] I can't help but think "Get a freakin life" or a "REAL" job and quit trying to scam people.

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

One of the reasons is the inefficiency of information despite the power of the Internet. I remember looking for 6-disc CD magazines for my BMW and it seemed that I was going to be stuck paying the dealer $30 (for one!) or $20 on eBay, which was the going used price based on completed auctions.

After doing a lot more searching, I found the same magazines (made by Pioneer, minus the BMW logo) for sale at Crutchfield for $10 each, brand new. Does that mean the buyers on eBay (or even those who bought from the dealer) were suckers? In a way, yes, but not everyone wants to spend all day scouring every last hiding place for the absolute best price. If you think there's someone out there who'll pay top dollar, why not ask for it?

7. John_Berger

8. MarkHastings

9. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

10. John_Berger

11. MarkHastings

12. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    I have a question about the ticket scalping thing.

It's illegal to scalp tickets to a concert or sporting event or whatever, correct? What exactly is the definition of "scalping"? Does it mean simply to sell the tickets for more than you paid for 'em?

If so, I have to say that I find it a little strange that this is illegal. Once you buy some tickets, why shouldn't they be yours to do with as you please, whether you choose to use them for admission, sell them to someone else (be it for a profit, at a loss, or to break even), or even feed them to your dog or flush them down the toilet. Why not? What exactly is the justification?

And finally, if scalpers actually can get higher than the normal asking price for tickets, why aren't they being sold for more in the first place? Sure, it would stink for the customers, but heck, if the market will bear it, scalping wouldn't be such a problem in the first place.

Three cheers for capitalism, right?

13. John_Berger

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

So where's the outrage when I take a bath on stuff that no one wants at a later time when I decide to sell it? Supply/demand sets price in most micro-economic situations.

15. John_Berger

Okay, you've confused me on that one. I'm not following your example at all. [​IMG]

16. MarkHastings

17. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

WC Fields put it all so well

- Never give a sucker an even break

- You can't cheat an honest man

[​IMG]

18. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

19. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer