What is up with BOSE??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Cunninghm, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Scott Cunninghm

Scott Cunninghm Stunt Coordinator

I have an old pair of BOSE 10.2 floor speakers that I have enjoyed for years. I thought something better may have come out since I bought them 10 years ago so I figured I would shop around a bit. Not looking to buy, just seeing where speakers have gone in the past decade. I

checked out the BOSE store at the outlet mall in Vegas and all the speakers pretty much sounded weak. The focus of the whole operation was on tiny speakers, and small stuff, very little emphasis on the larger speakers. They didn't even sell a dedicated sub-woofer.

What has happened to that company. They use to have decent gear, like the 901's (and the 10.2's that I liked) but now the sound and quality are not up to speed.

2. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

Good question. I think they are going for quantity and not quality. I believe they are recognized as being at the low end of the speaker manufacturer spectrum nowadays. I still use mine though. Two pairs of 301's (12 years old) and a pair of 601's (10 years old). I will be upgrading very soon.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

In the early 80s Bose sold conventional speakers under the name "Interaudio". They had a little "lens" thing over the tweeter (easily removable), but other than that no gimmicks. Just a standard speaker. There were 4 of them, I had the SA300 model. They sound pretty good to this day (always been a bit weak in the upper midrange) in my brother Andy's place. Nowadays Bose specializes in high priced plastic junk for uneducated consumers.

4. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

My Interaudios kick butt. Bose Blose.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I thought I just saw an article (well, maybe a few years old, not more than 3) about Bose 901's?

Maybe they still make "the good stuff" but it's just harder to find?

(I remember lusting after my Dad's 301's a long time ago. I had Jensens! Now, wouldn't touch Bose with a 10 ft pole...)

6. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

hehe, give me a pair of Jensens anyday [​IMG]

7. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

They still make 901's, but they're far from good.

8. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Something tells me the 10.2's have some okay sound, considering the subwoofer built into the tower. Except that Bose designs are notorious for adding extra reverb and adding their own reflections on top of the reflections that are already in your room and already in the recording, so that the result sounds unnatural.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The "good" stuff is in Japan....
    [​IMG]
    Yes, that's a dome tweeter in the photo. Man, I used to drool over those InterAudio speakers.

10. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Sony makes good stuff to. (In Japan)[​IMG]

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I will take a pair of these Sony speakers.....
    [​IMG]
    The SS-X90ED

12. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Is that a top-mounted tweeter? Jesus, don't let B&W see that or the lawsuits will start flying..