What is up with B&M's and catalog titles?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Reis, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Jeff Reis

Jeff Reis Stunt Coordinator

I foolishly went out yesterday thinking that either Circuit City or Best Buy might actually have Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein and maybe The Incredible Mr. Limpet, all new 10/1 releases. Needless to say I struck out on all 3 at 4 different store locations. Yes, I do order plenty online, and that's about to go up to 100% if these stores don't get their act together. I can understand not being able to find stuff like Blue Underground or Something Weird at these stores on street date, but these are all from that obscure little DVD studio called Warner Bros. What the hell? [​IMG]

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    My money is on production shortages, given the large number of major releases we have had recently. There is only so much capacity in DVD production facilities, and with 100-150 releases each week--some of them major blockbusters like MONSTERS, INC. and THE SCORPION KING--something has to give.

The reason I think it is production-related is because my Best Buy had AUNTIE MAME in their system, meaning that they were anticipating carrying the title--but the shipment had not reached the warehouse.

My guess is that Warner got a limited run of this week's titles and short-shipped to dealers. Then additional pressings will be done, and will start shipping out to fulfill the rest of the dealer orders.

- Steve

3. Chris Duran

Chris Duran Stunt Coordinator

I think it's an inventory issue, stores can't afford to have that much inventory, espically on titles that will probably not sell as well as the huge new realease titles.

4. Jeff Reis

I understand stores can't stock everything, but Best Buy has had a great track record on more obscure titles until recently. And it doesn't seem to be a lack of shelf space there...they take up tons of it with hundreds of copies of Oceans 11 that have been there for months. I guess it probably is a matter of production and they got short shipped. I'll be ordering the lower profile titles exclusively online now, I s'pose.

5. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

You could save yourself a lot of hassle by calling them first and seeing if they have it in stock before driving all over town and looking for it.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

7. Jeff Reis

Heh, Chris I learned long ago that calling these stores and asking about specific titles is a crapshoot. Hey, I was running errands anyway so it wasn't a big hassle--just frustrating to not be able to get these titles on street date.

David I forgot about the drop ship explanation--it does make sense.

8. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer