What is underneath the cloth on my SVS 16-46?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Steve_D, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

I would like to maybe change the looks of my 16-46. If I remove the cloth, could I veneer the tube? Use a different color cloth?

TIA

2. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

i think theres a black laminate layer between the cloth and the cardboard tube. kind of like a thin rubber or vinyl. i noticed it when i pushed the cloth up a bit on my 16-46 pci.

3. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

keir,

We have been known to fasten employees against a wall with a nail gun for calling our tubing "cardboard". ;^) For the same reason we don't call particle board "sawdust". It's very VERY dense fiber-based spiral laminate that's custom made for us with a polymer film to seal it against moisture. Early SVS's (dare I say "vintage"?) used "Sonotube" but ordering parts in the thousands allowed us to dump it for our current, far superior tubing.

Anyway, IF Steve has a CS type sub, swapping the cover is pretty easy to do (pull off the grill, take out the grill mounting ring and pull the cover up.). If it's a PC type SVS it's practically a "non-starter", if you are after a factory look anyway. The fabric is wrapped under the CNC'd amp mount and is not removeable. A PC cover could be cut off of course, though getting the cover to squarely fit around the amp would be a major PITA, even for a pro-seamstress.

For the wood approach, I suppose you could cut the fabric off carefully, remove the very slick polymer film (virtually nothing sticks to it, just as we designed) and find some VERY large sheets of vertically oriented veneer and wrap the tube. I think it'd be nearly impossible to do with good results though. We once experimented with this technique coming up with our SS subwoofer but finally went a totally different route. Instead, the SS is unique by using an all wood pressure formed cylinder (not fiber based, more akin to plywood) that is then painstakingly finished in clear maple veneer by our cabinet shop.

I've done lots of prototype design and assembly work for SVS and even I wouldn't try veneer like you envision. Take a CS fabric cover to an upholstry shop though and you could have your own fabric on a sub in a matter of minutes.

Ron

4. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

whooops !! :b

i had always just assumed it was a plain old sonotube under there. [​IMG]

5. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Yes, it is a CS sub, and I was an early customer, though I don't know if was was early enough to get the sonotube or the better stuff.

I have friends that do really high end custom wood cabinets, furniture, sculptures, anything a customer wil pay a lot of money to have custom made [​IMG]...I was thinking of having them do a veneer or wood grain laminate, and knew if I posted here first I would have less surprises later [​IMG]

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Steve,

In that case, as I indicated, the custom fabric cover would be easy, though you still will have your hands full with a wood conversion. If is is an original Sonotube SVS (it's been two years or so since we phased them out IIRC) you will have the additonal challenge of dealing with the less than smooth outer surface too.

One of the many reasons we went to our own tubing was to get a underlying material that "telegraphed" no surface irregularites or seams thru the fabric cover. You could try to smooth the tubing down a bit but then you have to be careful you don't cause delamination of the cylinder.

I suppose you could always save up your lunch money and save for an SS? ;^)

Ron

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I tried to remove the cloth at one time just to see what was under there. When the cloth was removed the driver jumped out and took my right arm. Please do not remove the fabric! It's all good under there.

8. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Thanks Ron for you comments, and that was funny Steve, sounds like what happened when I tried to change my oil once [​IMG] Something about a serpant belt....

It's not a matter of lunch money it's a matter of furnishing an entire house and deciding what portion of the budget goes where. Wah! My original CS 16-46 is obsolete now (just kidding Ron but I know it will not fill 2000 open sq feet with 9-20 foot celings like it did 700 sq feet with an 8 foot ceiling) ....But it sounds wise-well to just change the cloth or deal with it in black until I can do something else, like buy another 16-46 and an ISD driver for the one I have now, or SS [​IMG]

9. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Hi Ron,

I am quite proud of my Dual Ultra Subs, but since they are located behind acoustically transparent fabric (accessible through a small door) they are almost invisible when I want to open the door and show them off.

Have you guys ever considered offering another fabric cover as an option??

Something like Grey ??

-- John

10. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Steve, as Ron has said it may be difficult to do this with your SVS do to the way the tube is made. But covering ( A ) tube is not very hard at all as I done my 20" by 40" sono in real oak veneer. If you go to my www link you can see how mine looks. I would say it would be easy if you have some moderate skills with wood work & can handle the smell of contact cement, but I have never seen just how the SVS tubes are made so it may be a little more difficult than what mine was.

11. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

Thanks Joe, nice set up you have

While I'm at it, I think I'll have them make a lamp out of it [​IMG] [​IMG]