What's new

What is UltraViolet™ and why should you care? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sure, if all you are considering is iTunes, yeah. But... That's probably the last place I'd get a download and my family and friends are renting more on PS3 than they do iTunes simply because it's convenient to do so directly from the device.

And Netflix is 10x more in their minds now due to the all you can eat nature of it and that it's built into the game boxes and DVD players.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

Sure, if all you are considering is iTunes, yeah. But... That's probably the last place I'd get a download and my family and friends are renting more on PS3 than they do iTunes simply because it's convenient to do so directly from the device.

And Netflix is 10x more in their minds now due to the all you can eat nature of it and that it's built into the game boxes and DVD players.

Oh, I agree, Netflix is a good deal. There are quite a few titles that I don't need to own an on those, Netflix is "Good enough"... you're right on that point.. I was just saying, in relation to avoiding Ultraviolet, Apple has no interest in doing it but their system sucks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Russell has made the best point so far. Interesting that the only one of MANY UltraViolet threads with any discussion at all is actually discussing NetFlix and Apple.

I'll add that I agree with the problematic pricing of some instant media, and that includes books. I have a Kindle and since I am mostly interested in classic literature, it is an incredible value, since they are all free. Then I look at newer stuff, only to discover it is often 2-3 times the price for something on Kindle (take The Great Gatsby, for example) than what I can get a new condition used book for. I see a lot of Kindle books that are $10 where the paperback lists for $8. That makes absolutely no sense.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Originally Posted by Russell G

So basically we still don't need to care about this...

You dont need to care about anything. Some of us care about this, yes.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
JohnRice said:
Russell has made the best point so far. Interesting that the only one of MANY UltraViolet threads with any discussion at all is actually discussing NetFlix and Apple.

I'll add that I agree with the problematic pricing of some instant media, and that includes books. I have a Kindle and since I am mostly interested in classic literature, it is an incredible value, since they are all free. Then I look at newer stuff, only to discover it is often 2-3 times the price for something on Kindle (take The Great Gatsby, for example) than what I can get a new condition used book for. I see a lot of Kindle books that are $10 where the paperback lists for $8. That makes absolutely no sense.
Yeah, this is a serious problem.. this morning, I picked up 20 new Blurays.. for about $100. (CL). But the way that ULtraviolet proposes to work is like I said, a bit like steam: you've bought a license, you register your software, and then if you ever need to, you can download a digital viewable copy anywhere. It's not a bad policy; and for the studios, it's a good way to "sweep away" sales of used media by making used media less valuable (can't be registered, etc.). UltraViolet is a bit like when the record labels accepted iTunes as a means to "rip" CDs, where before it they fought it. Because of it, they have to basically accept the good with the bad; some people will "rip" their own, and now since they will provide you a registration system, they end up providing blanket agreement with those people that do (not to the people who make the software that does it, though.. but to the people that do) There are a lot of things that UltraViolet changes to the positive of the consumer. But it's still a few months away.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Those are big ifs Kevin, especially since: Not all studios are on board You have to ask permission every time you want to use it (arguably less of a consideration since the era when many of us railed against DIVX but it's still there) Details and implementations matter iPhone/ipad support with native apps could be sketchy (web based could work) Here's why I say implementation matters: if this requires flash or silver light you'd be more willing to agree with me that it's dead, right? You may have insider knowledge that that's not the case but for the rest of us it's just speculation at this point.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Those are big ifs Kevin, especially since:

Not all studios are on board
You have to ask permission every time you want to use it (arguably less of a consideration since the era when many of us railed against DIVX but it's still there)
Details and implementations matter
iPhone/ipad support with native apps could be sketchy (web based could work)

Here's why I say implementation matters: if this requires flash or silver light you'd be more willing to agree with me that it's dead, right? You may have insider knowledge that that's not the case but for the rest of us it's just speculation at this point.

Kevin kind of covered the basics, but let's really get into it;

Every studio, plus Microsoft, Google and others are onboard with Ultraviolet, along with major distributors Amazon, Walmart, Netflix. This makes it a prevailing data standard. The goal is "purchase once".. so whether you buy a digital download on Sony's PS3 or MS's XBOX, it's portable to any device registered with a UV account (up to 6). Disney's Alternative (PixieDust) only exists because Disney is, to this point, refusing some of the base ideas of UltraViolet. The acceptance of UV basically gives users the right to hold their own video archives, through whatever means with registered media.. not directly, but Google, Microsoft and Sony pretty well lay out that: if you have the media on a STATIONARY (non portable) device, and it's registered, good for you, whatever. 6 Portable devices. Disney's Pixiedust, however, which they haven't even finalized, makes the case that their media must be either preserved as a complete whole or digital rights only through their copy system.. it's a situation really designed to prevent it from integration in Microsoft's MovieWall software and what Google is apparently headed toward with their acquisition of Sage. Disney wants to opt out.

That portion of UV is critically important. Music companies could still fight Apple and contend that "Ripping" CDs is still illegal; the didn't really lose on that front.. but instead at a certain point they decided to change their tactics and say: if you hold what you own, fine, more then that, and you're a scumbag. The studios have seemingly made that transition with UV.. except for Disney. We'll see how that turns out.

You don't have to ask permission anytime you use it.. any more then a purchase from iTunes of a movie with DRM requires your account be activated using iTunes on a PC/Mac. Buy a title through iTunes now, and try to watch it on a PC not authorized for it.. no go. And just like iTunes (plus 1) six activations work.

There are of course, a lot of details about implementation up in the air.

I can pretty well tell you this: it does not, in any way, involve Flash or Silverlight. They have openly said that. This involves full quality downloads from cloud based source based on registration of media. If it does do a stream format, then those may be options depending on the provider, but the technology itself is based more on digital download direct.

As far as that goes, I'd have a hard time saying "If it uses Flash or Silverlight it's dead" considering those are the two widest spread media technologies on the web right now for content distribution, and they are the method of delivery for large houses (like Amazon VOD, Netflix, BlockBuster Online, Vudu) So while those formats aren't relevant in any way to the core concept of UV, I don't know if anyone used them if it would make me pronounce a technology dead.

There are things about the core concept of UV I like a great deal. How it ends up working out will be the trick.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Found an interesting article...actually press statement from Neustar Media a partner for UV. The work on the Digital Locker seems to be complete. Looks like it should be launching soon-

* They are about 4 months ahead of schedule and have had teams working around the clock to finish the final version of the UV management system.

* Should be ready as soon as August 1st for customers. Q4 is a safe bet.

* Six DECE members are now in testing on the platform. Testing should continue for the next several weeks.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/470472-Neustar_Completes_Digital_Locker_For_UltraViolet.php

I wonder if they plan to launch before the holiday quietly with a big push at CES?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yeah, I finally figured out what was missing from the lists Matt and Kevin posted (besides Disney and Apple): consumers and/or consumer advocacy groups. And that's what makes the absence of Appleand Disney more telling to me. Because those two seem to consider the consumer in the launch of anything new where all the rest of that industry cabal rarely give a damn, they come up with a new twist and throw it at the wall and see what sticks.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah

As far as Apple goes, I am a big fan of their technology as I have owned a Mac, Iphone and Ipad (love it, my husband bought me one recently, a godsend for long train trips) for many a year. But I also know that they do their own thing. Always have always will.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Yeah, I finally figured out what was missing from the lists Matt and Kevin posted (besides Disney and Apple): consumers and/or consumer advocacy groups. And that's what makes the absence of Appleand Disney more telling to me. Because those two seem to consider the consumer in the launch of anything new where all the rest of that industry cabal rarely give a damn, they come up with a new twist and throw it at the wall and see what sticks.

Sometimes that's a trick. Remember, consumer advocate groups in 22 countries sued and threatened to sue Apple over DRM Itunes until Apple relented.. and then several resumed those lawsuits when Itunes+ instead of free upgrades were out there.

EFF and others have opposed the Bluray Counsel, etc.

Sony, Apple, Paypal, Google have all faced Consumer Advocacy complaints over their handlng of finances. http://www.internetretailer.com/2011/06/22/consumer-group-seeks-more-mobile-payments-protection

I'm not saying this to slam any of them, but it's very rare for consumer advocates to come out and say "We back X! It's great!" Almost all of them are going to take a very "wait and see" position until they can evaluate it and make recommendations. Disney's format (PixieDust) will also not likely come with a consumer seal of approval. Consumer advocacy groups have so far been opposed to Digital Copy as a DRM prescription.

I find it doubtful any consumer advocacy group will back anything that includes DRM... no matter who the vendor is.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They claim they are ready (for licensing, not consumers): http://gigaom.com/video/ultraviolet-b2b-launch/ http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ultraviolet_moves_one_step_closer_to_a_fall_launch.php http://paidcontent.org/article/419-ultraviolet-moves-ahead-for-fall-launch-adds-blockbuster-and-vudu/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
NO FING way im letting ANY company and especially NOT WB tie my Amazon Apple Netflix and other accounts together in one convenient spot to be tracked and marketed from. This is MADNESS (not Sparta!) http://allthingsd.com/20110804/warner-bros-pulls-back-the-curtains-on-flixster-collections-its-ambitious-digital-video-bet/

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Sam Posten said:
NO FING way im letting ANY company and especially NOT WB tie my Amazon Apple Netflix and other accounts together in one convenient spot to be tracked and marketed from. This is MADNESS (not Sparta!) http://allthingsd.com/20110804/warner-bros-pulls-back-the-curtains-on-flixster-collections-its-ambitious-digital-video-bet/
This may not be popular with people like you and I but people share account information everyday with Facebook. They share their music, book reading even where they are currently located. I'm sure this will be a hit with that crowd. Almost reminds me of the Facebook of the video industry. The Ultraviolet train is leaving the station...all aboard! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks